I adapted it to suit our tastes and it turned out perfectly golden, fluffy and cheesy … basically this is perfection on a plate. Just serve yourself a little piece (or a big one, let’s be real here) and your breakfasty dreams will be a reality.
The original recipe called for letting the mixture sit in the fridge overnight before baking. Unfortunately, I’m extremely impatient, so that wasn’t in the cards. I just let it sit for twenty minutes and stuck this sucker in the oven. Turned out perfectly fine.
Easy Breakfast Casserole:
Sausage Egg and Cheese Casserole
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp garlic (optional)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt+ Pepper
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese (Reserve 1/2 cup for topping)
- 4 Slices of bread
I think it would be amazing with hash browns if you don’t want to use bread.
Preheat oven to 350
1. Brown sausage in skillet, then drain.
2. Slice the bread into cubes. I just took regular sandwich bread, sliced it into thirds lengthwise, then slice those thirds into thirds. It goes faster if you stack the slices on top of one another. Using the crust is fine for me, but you can remove it if you’d like.
3. Beat together eggs, milk, salt, pepper and garlic until slightly frothy.
4. Mix in bread cubes, cheese and sausage. Be sure that the bread cubes are covered in the mixture.
5. Let sit for 20 minutes. (I used this time to clean the kitchen).
6. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Then pour the mixture into the dish. **
7. Sprinkle the reserved shredded cheese over the casserole.
8. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
** Any casserole dish will work, so long as it’s large enough to fit the mixture.
*If you want deep and chunky slices, use a smaller casserole dish and bake for 40 minutes. The amount that it makes varies according to the size of the baking dish that you use.
I promise – this easy breakfast casserole recipe will impress your family. My husband and I both went back for seconds. 🙂