This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Food Lion. All opinions are 100% mine.
These Stewed Chickpeas are an easy and filling meal to make when you’re in need of some serious comfort food.Stewed Chickpeas Recipe
This chickpea stew is a hearty dinner that comes together in under an hour. These stewed chickpeas don’t fit neatly into a category. I definitely had Chana Masala in mind when creating this recipe, so it’s got some Indian cuisine vibes going. But it also leans a little Latin inspired due to the seasonings.
This reminds of something my grandmother would make, and if flavorful stews are a staple in your culture, regardless of where you come from, I think it’ll remind you of homey comforting food your grandma would put on the table too.
To me, this is the ultimate comfort food (more so than something like mashed potatoes), because I grew up on meals like this. These stewed chickpeas are a filling, leftover friendly, and frugal meal to whip up that’s an inexpensive way to feed a lot of people (especially since it’s served over rice).
I recently started using Food Lion’s Shop & Earn so I saved even more on this meal. The app gives you personalized rewards that you can earn based on the way you shop. I tend to buy a lot of produce, so I really appreciated that I didn’t have to change the way that I shopped to earn the rewards.
So just to give you an idea, one of the rewards was spend $30 total and earn $10 in rewards. And another was to spend $20 in produce and earn $4 in rewards. The rewards are attainable, useful and you can just scan the app at checkout, so it’s super easy. If you have a Food Lion near you, definitely download the app and activate your rewards at the beginning of every month. It’s an easy way to save.
Tips for Making this Chickpea Stew:
- To save time, start some rice in the rice cooker right before you start cooking this meal. That way the rice will be ready to serve when you finish cooking.
- I do like to add bay leaves into stews like this, but don’t worry if you don’t have them, they’re not crucial to the flavor.
- Substitute a can of fire-roasted tomatoes for a hint of smokiness.
Stewed Chickpeas Recipe
These Stewed Chickpeas are an easy and filling meal to make when you're in need of some serious comfort food.
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Russet Potato peeled and diced
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion diced
- 1 Red Pepper diced
- 1 Green Pepper diced
- 3 Cups Vegetable Broth divided
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Cans Chickpeas drained
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 Packet Sazon
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 15 oz. can Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. Cilantro chopped
- Add Olive oil, onion, potato and peppers to a pan over medium high heat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup vegetable broth along with garlic, chickpeas, Italian seasoning and Sazon to pan. Saute an addition 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, remaining vegetable broth, bay leaves and salt and pepper. Stir. Reduce to medium low heat. Cover. Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Recipe Notes: Serve over rice, add cilantro before serving.