This crock pot ham and bean soup is so comforting, frugal and easy to make! It came together totally on a whim and is one of those throw-it-together-and-hope-for-the-best happy accidents that is created when you have to come up with a plan for dinner fast.
I’m calling this a mashup meal not because it requires mashing (though it does!). But because this was made from items that I simply had on hand in a relatively bare kitchen. So it’s likely that you’ll have many of these ingredients on hand as well!
Delicious Crockpot Ham and Bean Soup
- 16 oz ham steak frozen
- 1 16oz dried pinto beans dried
- 1 can 14 oz whole tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp oregano leaves dried
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sort through and rinse the beans. Pour into crockpot.
- Pour in tomatoes, red onion, minced garlic, chicken stock, water, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano leaves and cumin. Stir to combine.
- Place frozen ham steak on top and submerge.
- Place lid on crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. About half way through the cooking time, use a potato masher to lightly mash tomatoes and break up the ham steak. Give it another stir.
- Prior to serving, mash once more in order to reach desired consistency. Beans should be fully cooked and the ham should be broken into smaller pieces.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy.
We have to keep things pretty mild around here in terms of spiciness (because I just absolutely cannot handle the heat), but my husband said that it would’ve done well with a little extra kick of spice. So if you like spicy foods, adding a bit of hot sauce or some red pepper flakes couldn’t hurt!
It’s a very versatile recipe. You can choose the consistency you prefer by mashing a bit less or more.
So you’ll be able to simply serve it as a soup like I did, or mash a bit longer and you’ll get a consistency along the line of Spanish style beans which you can then serve over rice to make this go even further!
I’d love to know if you try this crock pot ham and bean soup recipe!