Overnight Oats ranks up there as one of the easiest breakfasts food options out there! If you haven’t jumped on the bandwagon yet, this recipe will win you over in a skinny minute! They are fast, easy, versatile and DELISH!
One of my favorite things with overnight oats is that you can literally use whatever you have in the cupboard. Toss in a few Craisins, chocolate chips, the leftover pumpkin seeds…You name it, it can go in and not waste the food while still providing you with a nutritious breakfast that is ready to eat when you get up in the morning! Try to use up all those straggler items that you have left and make your own overnight oats recipe!
Today, I’m going to introduce you to two of my all time favorite flavors mixed together in overnight oats. It is hard to resist chocolate and espresso together! The espresso chips don’t have enough caffeine to count towards anything so if you are trying to cut back, this isn’t a concern.
With only 6 ingredients needed, you can whip up this chocolate espresso overnight oats in a matter of minutes. Take a look at the main ingredients for this easy breakfast dish.
Old Fashioned Oats – Using old fashioned oats gives you an insanely great texture, as well as delicious flavor. While they can be substituted for minute oats or steel-cut oats, old fashioned is our favorite.
Chocolate Almond Milk – There is just something amazing about the flavors of chocolate and espresso together. Using chocolate almond milk gives it that extra kick of decadent goodness that I love to enjoy in the morning.
Nestle Espresso Chips – While the espresso morsels are shaped like chocolate chips, they are actually made with coffee! Imagine adding them to all of your favorite desserts or even eating a handful plain. Yum!
Making overnight oats is so easy and saves you lots of time later in the week. You can make up several batches and have them handy to grab anytime you need something quickly. Let’s take a look at how easy this chocolate espresso overnight oats recipe is:
First Step: Mix the milk and oats together and give them a stir.
Second Step: Add a layer of espresso chips on top of the oats and milk.
Third Step: Put the overnight oats in the refrigerator and serve in the morning for breakfast. Top with some slivered almonds and serve.
⏲️ Meal Prep
One of the biggest advantages of preparing overnight oats is that you can do it once and enjoy them most of the week. Simply make as many servings as you want for the week. They will last up to five days in the refrigerator. So if you are feeding multiple people or want to eat them all yourself, you can make several and have them ready to go whenever you want to enjoy them.
🍴 Do You Eat Cold Or Hot?
I know there is a lot of confusion when it comes to how to eat overnight oats. Typically, oatmeal is known as a hot breakfast dish, and it can throw people for a loop to eat them cold. Don’t worry; they are positively delicious cold! You can take them right out of the fridge and dig in with no heating up required. These are intended to be eaten cold.
There are some people out there who prefer to eat them warm instead. That is completely fine. You can toss them in the microwave and heat them for a few seconds until they are the temperature you like and eat them warm.
📌 How to Store
There are several options for storing these chocolate espresso overnight oats. I prefer to keep them in mason jars because you can eat them right out of the jar. But you can also use any other container you have that has a lid. It’s essential to keep a tight-fitting lid on them, so they don’t take on other flavors in your fridge.
‼️ Do I Have To Use Chocolate Almond Milk?
No, it’s not required to use chocolate almond milk. That is what we prefer because the chocolate flavor goes well with the espresso chips. You can exchange the chocolate almond milk for regular vanilla almond milk, unsweetened almond milk, or any other milk that you enjoy. Regular milk, coconut milk, and cashew milk would be a few great substitute ideas. Try and see what you like best and stick with that.
These overnight oats are finger-licking good, just the way the recipe is written. Sometimes we like to add a little bit of extra ingredients or go wild. Here are a few ideas to try out:
- Peanut Butter – Add one tablespoon of crunchy or creamy peanut butter to the mixture. It makes them extra creamy and delicious.
- Almond Butter – Put a dollop of almond butter into the milk and oats. It’s a great flavor and gives you even more texture.
- Chocolate Chips – Mix in a tablespoon or two of your favorite chocolate chips. I like the mini chocolate chips because they are the perfect size in the overnight oats.
- Pecans – Exchange the almonds for pecans instead. They add a nice crunch and taste super too!
- Caramel Sauce – Drizzle a little bit of your favorite caramel sauce right before serving. I probably don’t even need to tell you, but it’s heavenly!
- Hot Fudge Sauce – It may be more like dessert than breakfast, but adding a little bit of hot fudge sauce takes it to the next level. Yum!
🥘 More Overnight Oats Recipes
Once you taste overnight oats, you will understand how addictive they are. There are tons and tons of varieties out there to choose from, and they are all excellent. Here are a few of our reader’s favorites:
- Light and Fresh Lemon Blueberry Overnight Oats – Mixing lemon and blueberry together is pretty much always a hit. These oats are next-level good!
- Strawberry Vanilla Overnight Oats – You can’t eat these overnight oats without falling head over heels in love. The sweetness of the strawberries paired with the other ingredients is perfection.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Overnight Oats – If you are looking for an irresistible recipe for overnight oats, add this one to your list. It’s insanely good!
- Tropical Mango, Pineapple, Tahini Overnight Oats – You’ll feel like you are on a tropical island every time you take a bite of this scrumptious recipe.
Chocolate Espresso Overnight Oats
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup chocolate almond milk
- 2 tbsp Nestle Espresso Chips
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
- 3 tbsp yogurt greek
- 1 tbsp espresso powder
- Combine the milk, yogurt and oats and stir. Mix in some espresso powder and chips
- Layer the oats mixture with the espresso chips.
- Place in refrigerator overnight and serve in the morning. Top with slivered almonds when ready to eat.