January is a month of organizing for many of us. An area that needs constant organization in my home is the kitchen. Kitchen organization can become quite the pricey adventure if you take the traditional route of purchasing organizing items/tools and using them as their intended purpose.
Tips for Organizing Your Kitchen
We’ve all been there. Our well-used kitchens look like a bomb exploded in it, and you are so overwhelmed you don’t even know where to start organizing. It’s totally normal, and while you will have to put in some effort, there are some easy ways you can get in control. Follow these tips and you will be well on your way to a gorgeous and organized kitchen!
- Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Pun intended! 😎 If you try to do everything at once, it becomes very stressful. This can lead you to give up and quit early. Work on one small project at a time, like cleaning one cabinet or drawer. It took more than a day to get unorganized, and it will take more than a day to get it back in shape.
- Check the dates on your food. How many times have you cleaned out a cabinet and found food that was 5 years old? Yes, most of us have been there and done that. Get rid of food that is no longer good. Of course, you could be like my husband who still drinks beer well past its “best used by” date. Nothing will slow him down! Or, if it is not outdated, but you won’t eat it, donate it to your local food bank. Someone would be happy to use it.
- Keep similar items together. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to have cans of beans in three different cupboards. Save your sanity and put items that go together…together! It might seem like a no-brainer, but many of us do this without even thinking about it. This leads to buying more than what you need.
- Stick to keeping it organized. I know that it’s not always easy to stick your organization plan, but I promise, if you force yourself to take the extra minute to stay organized, it’s worth it.
- Try unconventional storage ideas. You can use all sorts of containers and boxes to organize. Not everything has to be super expensive and fancy. You can easily make items yourself that will work perfectly.
- Watch for storage ideas at yard sales and consignment stores. You’d be amazed by all the great inexpensive finds you come across at yard sales. You can save tons of money on baskets and containers.
If you liked these clever kitchen organizing ideas, please visit the featured blogs. Many of them have tons of useful home organization posts to organize any area of your home!