Just because you are striving to save money doesn’t mean you have to have a boring weekend! Try to look back on a lot of your favorite photos or your best-kept memories and oftentimes, the most memorable ones are NOT the ones where you spent a lot of money! Our favorite family time involves long hiking days in the mountains. I love to look back at those photos and reflect on the fun we had. Those are our cheapest days as well. You’ve gotta love that!
The ideas below are a mix of organizing, cleaning, playing and cooking. There should be several ideas for just about any personality type. If you have creative ideas of frugal things to do on a weekend, shoot us a message and we will add it to the list! We would love to hear your favorites.
We have done almost all of these at one point in our marriage. My list keeps growing. Add your own unique activities to have a fun, frugal weekend!
I’m thrilled I have a “go-to” list ready for when we have free weekends but I really don’t want to spend a lot of money! Which ones will you try out first, let us know in the comments?!
Fun and Frugal Things to do this Weekend
- Start a garden
- Go on a picnic
- Take a hike. Participate in the 52 Hike Challenge.
- Have friends over for a BBQ
- Organize closets
- Clean out old clothes, toss out or give away what doesn’t work anymore
- Take clothes out of closet to make “new outfits” and put together
- Try recipes you have saved or pinned on Pinterest. Here are our Pinterest boards to give some inspiration!
- Have friends over for a potluck
- Learn how to play pinochle or eucker
- Have a chess match/tournament with friends
- Visit the library
- Have a movie marathon with old favorites
- Clean out old books and magazines
- Start a hobby with items you have purchased and hoped to try one day
- Play with new apps on your phone
- Explore parks that you haven’t been to in your area
- Look up all the museums in your area and be a tourist in your own town
- Open up your Pinterest boards and clean them up. Discard pins that no longer make sense.
- Invite friends over and have everyone bring a dish they have wanted to try out. The rule is everything has to be new to them.
- Invite friends over and have each person bring a bottle of wine or a 6 pack of beer and have a casual “wine tasting” or “beer tasting.”
- Open up Netflix or Hulu and binge watch a series you have wanted to see.
- Pop popcorn on the stove the old fashioned way and enjoy a book or movie
Fun Filled and Cheap Weekend Activities
- Go for a walk with your phone and play with all the settings on your camera to take different shots.
- Take the photos and play with them in a couple of different photo apps for different effects.
- Write an old fashioned letter to your family
- Text or message your friends that you have “been meaning” to catch up with but haven’t had the time.
- Clean out your email.
- Update your photo library on the computer.
- Clean out your file folders and shred old items.
- Have a yard sale.
- Take a current hobby and explore it. If it is photography, knitting, woodworking, RC planes. Youtube videos for more ways to advance your hobby and practice over the weekend.
- Learn a new hobby that doesn’t cost much. Example: crochet or knitting. Free Youtube videos to help you learn.
- Look at free activities held by your community center or library.
- Join a book club.
- Create your own book club or any hobby club. Find a book club in your area with your local library or Meetup.com.
- Check out Meetup in your area for great ways to meet others with similar interest.
- Use the weekend to learn more about a software program you already own but have been “meaning” to do more. Example: Photoshop, Lightroom
- Plan a frugal weekend trip for the summer. Challenge yourself to make it as cool as you can with the least amount of money.
- Take a drive to a nearby town/city that you have been meaning to visit but never have time. Bring a picnic lunch and just explore.
- Find the local gravel roads and explore.
- Visit a farmer’s market that is not near your house. See what they have that your local one does not. Buy something (not a lot) that you can try out that night for dinner.
- Make homemade pizza
- Play board games
Even More Frugal Weekend Ideas
- If in season, buy fresh berries and learn how to make freezer jam
- Buy fresh tomatoes and learn how to make salsa or pico de gallo
- If in season, pick apples and learn to make a homemade apple pie, galette or fritters
- Clean out and organize your pantry and spices. Throw out anything outdated.
- Clean out your bathroom drawers. Toss anything that is outdated.
- Clean your combs and brushes.
- Clean your washer and dryer with vinegar.
- Make your own carpet cleaner and clean your carpets
- Clean your oven
- Deep clean your dishwasher by taking it apart and cleaning the gunk out.
- Volunteer in your community.
- Check to see if there are local festivals in the area. Make sure they are low to no cost admission.
- Work on a puzzle.
- Go camping. If the weather isn’t suitable, plan a camping trip.
- Check to see if your area or one near you has a Hop on and off bus tour.
Fun Frugal Weekend Printable
We made this list into a free printable as well. Share it with your kids and friends to see what fun frugal activities they want to do too!