This homemade croutons recipe is super simple and can be made in under 30 minutes.
Tasting crunchy, warm croutons fresh from the oven is probably one of my favorite things. I always enjoy cooking, but making a staple that we’d usually buy from the store has that extra little kick of satisfaction.
Homemade croutons are such an easy, basic thing. But they’re the perfect addition to spice up a basic meal and make it a little more special. We served these over my veggie pasta recipe and they went together really well!
I’m guesstimating on the exact amount of croutons this recipe makes. I forgot to tell my husband I was using the ciabatta bread for a homemade croutons recipe for the blog, so I woke up to him enjoying a nice big piece of ciabatta toast haha!
Even with someone stealing a piece, it made us about 70 croutons, so definitely bank on these lasting a few days, especially if you’re only cooking for two!
It’s better to use stale bread to make croutons, but I used a loaf of fresh bread we bought the day before, and the recipe still turned out great. You’ll probably have an easier time cutting bread that’s gone a bit stale.
These croutons are big, crunchy and you can definitely tell they’re homemade. I like serving them fresh from the oven over a bowl of pasta. It would also go great over soup or salad (just let them cool before adding to your salad).
Croutons have always been my favorite part of any salad. They just add that little extra crunch to take it to the next level. Now you can make your own croutons at home and trust me you’re going to love it.
Ciabatta Bread: The bread is the key ingredient to the croutons is the bread. Using a bread that has a good crust makes all the difference in the world. We love to use a loaf ciabatta bread because it gives us the perfect texture every time.
Parmesan Cheese: Your results are going to end up a lot better if you use freshly grated Parmesan cheese. You can buy parmesan cheese already pre-packaged and shredded but it’s just not the same effect as using freshly shredded cheese.
Salt and Pepper: You can add as much or as little salt and pepper as you want to. Go wild!
Hope you guys enjoy this recipe!
Homemade Croutons Recipe
- 1 loaf Ciabatta Bread
- 6 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese (not dried)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut ciabatta bread in half through the center, using a serrated knife.
- Place ciabatta bread open side down (crust facing you), slice into ¾” thick to 1” thick strips. Slice strips into cubes. Place cubes on cookie sheets, crust side down, on an even layer.
- Use a spoon to quickly drizzle olive oil over croutons. Lightly sprinkle salt and pepper on top. Season generously with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, at 350F, depending on how dark and crispy you want the croutons.
Enjoyed this homemade croutons recipe? Try these recipes next!