Add some spice to your life with this 30 Minute Sausage and Pepper Skillet. It’s made with lots of flavorful ingredients, fresh veggies, and is seasoned beautifully.
If you only have 30 minutes to get dinner ready, you need to give this recipe a try! You probably have most of the ingredients on-hand anyway (I went a little crazy on the colorful peppers, but really, you can get away with just using green peppers if that is what you have). It’s a one-skillet meal so you’ll have a super quick clean up after dinner!
If you enjoy this sausage and peppers recipe, check out these easy dinner ideas!
🍽️ Why This Recipe Works
Minimal Prep Work – You can prepare this dish in around five minutes. There is very minimal work needed and most of the time is letting it cook.
Smells Amazing – As it’s cooking the aroma will fill your home and make your stomach growl! It’s so delicious.
Fresh Ingredients – It is filled with lots of fresh ingredients that give you the ultimate meal. Lots of peppers, tomatoes, and onions along with sausage is hard to beat.
I don’t think you can create a more classic dish than this. Everything about it is comforting and flavorful. Here is a breakdown of some of the main ingredients in this recipe.
Bell Peppers: Use a variety of different colored bell peppers such as green, red, orange, and yellow. They add a beautiful vibrant color to the dish and also provide a fantastic flavor.
Aidells Italian Style Sausage: Adding Italian style sausage to this recipe takes it to the next level of delicious. Everything about it is so flavorful and brilliant. Substitute any kind of sausage you like though so if you have a personal favorite, use that one.
Seasonings: For the seasonings, I used a combination of Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
Step One: Add the two tablespoons of olive oil to a pan and heat it on medium high. Add the sliced sausage rounds cook them for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from pan when they brown nicely.
Step Two: Add a little water to pan and gently scrape to gather the bits of sausage stuck to the pan (you don’t have to get all of it, just the bits that scrape off easily). It is packed full of flavor and tastes amazing when mixed in with the peppers.
Step Three: Add one tablespoon of olive oil and let it heat up. Add onions, sprinkle with salt and sauté for two minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add peppers and sauté for five minutes.
Step Four: Add diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes (optional) and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and let cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sausage back into the pan and cook for additional two minutes.
👩🍳 Meal Prep
Prep the onions and peppers when you get them home from the store. Keep them refrigerated until you are ready to make the dish.
This recipe is very leftover-friendly. On the first night serve it sandwich style. Store the leftovers in the fridge and serve them over rice the next day. You can even mix it in with some pasta and your favorite red sauce.
📌 Expert Tips
The red pepper flakes provide a bit of heat but it isn’t too spicy. Adjust the amount to your liking.
The sausage itself has A LOT of flavor, so we can get away with minimal additional seasonings. That makes it easy to put together.
I picked up Aidells® sausage, and swap it out for your favorites. This brand is packed with seasonings and spices already so it makes this meal come together so fast.
You can serve it on its own or serve it over rice or as a sandwich. I just cut French bread, removed some of the insides to make room for the sausage and pepper mixture. So good!
Sure! We love the texture and taste of diced tomatoes, but fresh tomatoes would work too. Chop them very fine and add to the mixture.
If this happens, you probably have the heat too high. Simply lower the heat and continue to cook. Cooking it a little lower will prevent you from getting splattered from the oil.
I hope you enjoy this sausage and peppers recipe! I’ve included the printable recipe below.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Sausage and Pepper Skillet
- 3 tbsp. Olive Oil 2 tbsp. to grease pan, 1 tbsp. reserved for later
- 1 package Aidells ® Italian Style Sausage sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1 Yellow Onion sliced
- 3 to 4 Cloves Fresh Garlic minced
- 2 Green Bell Peppers seeded and sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper seeded and sliced
- 14.5 oz Can Diced Tomatoes undrained
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes optional
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to pan and allow it to heat up on medium high heat. Add sausage and cook them for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until they are nicely browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of water to pan and gently scrape to gather the bits of sausage flavor stuck on. This adds a ton of flavor when combined with the peppers.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and let it heat up. Then add the sliced onions and sauté for two minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Finally, add the peppers and sauté for five minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes (optional) and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover. Let cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sausage back into the pan and cook for additional two minutes.