Do you have one type food that you just love and can’t get enough? For us, it is probably anything Mexican! And no, it isn’t just about the chips and salsa…most likely! Well, maybe. This Easy Slow Cooker Burrito Bowl Recipe hits the spot!
This recipe started off as a piggy back to our Salsa Chicken Slow Cooker Recipe but we took it up a notch, added spices and garlic, and made them into the most amazing Burrito Bowls! I am not kidding when I tell you that we inhaled them before lunch and we had just eaten breakfast.
The flavor is incredible, as it combines all the goodness of a jar of salsa with a few extra spices in your cabinet to make this a recipe worth keeping in your recipe binder!
When we were working on this, we wanted to create something that you could make on Sunday and have meat to make several different meals.
🍽️ Why This Recipe Works
Low Maintenance: The slow cooker does most of the heavy lifting so you don’t have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
Versatile: Use this recipe with all sorts of other meals. Check out the ideas listed below for some inspiration.
Frugal: It’s so inexpensive to make this super flavorful dish. If you are trying to make cheap food, make sure you try this one.
Seven ingredients are all you need, and let me tell you they taste heavenly together. I can’t help but lick my lips just thinking about it.
Chicken: Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs. Both offer a juicy result that is wonderful in the burrito bowls.
Salsa: The great thing about the versatility in this recipe is that you can use any brand or kind of salsa you like. Chunky, mild, really hot, all of them are great! So go with your favorite, and you are bound to love it.
Seasonings: A combination of chili powder, oregano, cumin, and garlic are incredible in the burrito bowls. Add that to the rice, and you have an insanely good dinner idea for all occasions.
I adore this recipe! I love the versatility of it and how flexible it is! Everyone can make what they want out of it and you don’t have to worry about any “I don’t like that” comments when you dish it up! Serve it using our Cilantro Lime Rice or we used a Simple Instant Pot Rice this time (recipe below.)
Since this is a true “toss and go” recipe, pull this together before you head out the door in the morning. It takes just about 6-8 minutes to get the crock pot and the ingredients together.
Step One: Make sure to spray your slow cooker/crock pot before you place the chicken, salsa, and spices inside. Turn on the slow cooker on low for 8 hours. If you need them to cook quicker, turn on high for 4 hours. I have done it both ways and have had the same results.
Step Two: The chicken will come out so tender that it will shred easily with two forks and you are ready to make it into Burrito Bowls.
Step Three: Combine the chicken, rice, corn, tomatoes, jalapeños, beans, olives and corn chips for a fun burrito bowl!
🍚 Instant Pot Rice
I’m not sure who the genius was that came up with Instant Pot Rice but they are my hero. Toss in two cups of rice with three cups of water. Hit the “Manual” button and let it cook for eight minutes. Manually release the pressure on the Instant Pot and you have perfect sticky rice!
📌 Expert Tips & Ideas
- On Sunday, make the chicken in the slow cooker and save it to make Burrito Bowls the same night or even the following night.
- Use the slow cooker chicken to make Taco Stuffed Avocados on Monday night in under 10 minutes. Seriously, I already tested this one! It is less than 10 minutes from the refrigerator to the plate! Plus, who likes cooking on Mondays anyway?
- Add in the chicken when you come home on Friday night and you are ready to toss together Sheet Pan Chicken Nachos! Sorry but I am more than happy to stay home and cook on a Friday night when I am greeted with the idea that nachos are in my future! The total time for this one is under 30 minutes.
- Whip up some Chicken Stuffed Enchiladas. Pop them in the air fryer. You will have a hot homemade meal on a Saturday night instead of wasting $20 on ordering a stale pizza. Yes, you can put all the ingredients together in just 10 minutes. The magic is that the chicken is already done for you so it’s just prepping it and cooking.
- Quickly toss together Chicken Lettuce Wraps. Since there is no cooking, these come together in about 5-10 minutes depending on how much chopping you have to do! I’ll show you how to meal prep this one so it’s about a 5-minute meal. Perfect for those crazy nights!
👩🍳 Recipe FAQs
There are lots of ways to speed up a great slow cooker meal that you don’t even realize! Meals can be on the table in just a few minutes! This is perfect for those crazy, busy nights.
Prep all the utensils and the slow cooker the night before by placing them all out on the counter and ready to go. Leave out the non-stick spray and the jar of salsa as it doesn’t need to be refrigerated since it hasn’t been opened. Anything to make the morning go without a hiccup.
Combine all the seasonings in a little bowl and cover. Place next to the slow cooker/crock pot.
Prepare the rice ahead of time and place it in the refrigerator. It can be zapped in the microwave in just a minute to heat up when it is time to plate it up.
Gather all of the other ingredients that your family likes for the burrito bowls and pre-cut them the night before. This should only take under five minutes. Put them in containers and refrigerate, if needed.
In the morning, spray the slow cooker and place the chicken inside. Dump the salsa over the top, sprinkle the seasonings and give a quick stir. Turn on the slow cooker and walk away. This prep should take about two minutes. Seriously, time yourself. It probably takes less but I’m giving you time to fight with the chicken wrappings.
In the evening, place the rice on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for up to two minutes. Check at the one minute mark as it might be done. While that is in the microwave, pull out the veggies you cut, and the sour cream or guacamole.
Now everyone can create their own custom burrito bowls and you have dinner on the table in under five minutes if you followed how to meal prep these chicken burrito bowls. Enjoy!!!
Yep! Any variety of rice will work great and taste lovely too.
You can keep leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days.
You can freeze the leftovers for up to six months in a good sealed container or freezer grade Ziplock Bag. Take out the night before and defrost.
🍴 Related Recipes
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe
- 1 ½ lbs Chicken thighs or breasts, skinless, boneless
- 16 oz Salsa any kind that you like
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Oregano
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 cups Rice cooked
- Spray the bottom of the slow cooker with non stick spray.
- Place the chicken into the slow cooker and pour salsa on top of it. Sprinkle the seasoning and garlic on top and close the lid. Cook on low for eight hours or on high for four hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred between two knives. It will virtually fall apart and the actual shredding is minimal.
- To serve, scoop up one cup of rice in a bowl and one cup of shredded chicken. Add additional toppings to the burrito bowl as you desire.