These Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups are cheesy, delicious and made with a homemade hearty sauce.
Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups
Spinach lasagna roll ups are probably one of my favorite foods. Pasta, hearty homemade sauce, mountains of cheese…. really, what’s not to love about it?
I’ve been making spinach lasagna roll ups for years. But I made a tiny change this time that made all the difference… adding some sauce to the inside of the rolls so that each bite has a perfect blend of flavorful sauce, creamy spinach mixture, and a gooey topping of cheese in every bite.
I made a super delicious sauce to go in this spinach lasagna roll ups recipe. It’s thick and hearty thanks to the minced vegetables in the sauce that are diced super finely. This sauce is so good that I can seriously just serve it with some bread to soak up the sauce and be a happy camper.
I recently shared the homemade spaghetti sauce recipe I used in these rolls on the blog, so check it out if you’re looking for a hearty go-to sauce recipe for pasta.
I recommend making some homemade breadsticks to go with this dish. Super Delish!
These Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups are Freezer Friendly
These spinach lasagna roll ups are freezer friendly! Just let the rolls cool completely after cooking. Then place them on a cookie sheet or baking dish so they’re not touching. Flash freeze for a couple hours. Once they’re frozen enough to not stick together, transfer them to freezer bags.
We like to heat these up individually in the microwave with a splash of water… no need to defrost, directly from the freezer works just fine.
Lasagna Roll Ups
- 8 Lasagna Noodles
- 10 oz. Frozen Chopped Spinach thawed and drained
- 15 oz. Ricotta Cheese
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese divided
- 1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 3 tbsp. Fresh Parsley chopped, divided
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Yellow Onion diced
- 1 Large Green Bell Pepper diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 28 oz. Can Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 cup Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add onion and green bell pepper. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Saute for five minutes. Add minced garlic and saute for additional two minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Mix in water. Reduce to medium low heat. Cover. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While sauce cooks, prepare filling in a large bowl. Add spinach, ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, egg, 2 tbsp. parsley and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spread 1 1/2 cup of sauce over the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Evenly distribute filling over each lasagna noodle. Spoon a thin line of sauce over the center of the filling, leaving room at the ends. Roll lasagna noodles and place into baking dish.
- Spoon remaining sauce over center of lasagna roll ups. Sprinkle remaining cheese over center of each roll.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle remaining 1 tbsp. fresh parsley over top.