These vegetarian meatball sub bites are super realistic and taste amazing… even meat eaters will love them! The filling is obviously the star, but the buttery cheesy crusts are a close second.
I have a love affair with Gardein meatless balls. I use them all the time to make my own “meat sauce” and “meatball” subs.
I wanted to take the meatball subs up a notch and make them party-ready, so I stuffed them into biscuits, filled them with cheese and covered them with butter… you know, the usual.
Vegetarian Meatball Sub Bites
- 1 bag Gardein Classic Meatless Balls
- 2 16 oz. cans Buttermilk Biscuit Dough
- 8 sticks Mozarella String Cheese low moisture, part skim
- 4 tbsp Butter melted
- 1 tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Preheat oven to 375F. Microwave meatless balls in a microwave-safe dish for about 4 minutes.
- Cut each ball in half. Cut eat stick of cheese into thirds.
- Tear each biscuit dough piece in half and stretch each piece so they're large enough to fit filling. Use your fingers to pat down and stretch the pieces into discs.
- Place a meatless ball half and a piece of cheese in the center of each piece of dough. Close dough by creating a ball and pinch dough closed. Set seam side down. If you see any rips in the dough, pinch those spots closed.Place on a large parchment-lined cookie sheet, making sure balls are at least 1/2" away from each other.
- In a small bowl, mix together melted butter, parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Brush butter mixture over dough.
- Bake for about 12 minutes. Watch closely during the last few minutes, as the cheese may start to ooze out of a few of them.