Puerto Rican Habichuelas Guisadas Recipe
This Puerto Rican Habichuelas Guisadas recipe is one of our favorite frugal meals that is packed full of flavor!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 6 to 8 servings
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Sweet Onion roughly chopped
- 2 Green Peppers roughly chopped
- 2 Russet Potatoes peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 2 Cans Kidney Beans, undrained, 15 oz
- 1 Can Tomato Sauce 8 oz
- 2 Cans of water, measured from empty tomato sauce can
- ½ tbsp. to 1 tbsp. Adobo start with ½ tbsp, taste, and add more if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon Truvia
- Salt and Pepper to taste, use sparingly, because there’s salt and pepper in the adobo
Add olive oil to a hot pan over medium heat. Add onion, green peppers and potatoes. Lightly sprinkle with salt. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in minced garlic. Saute for another two minutes.
Add kidney beans (with liquid) and tomato sauce. After you’ve poured in the tomato sauce, fill the can with water twice and add the water to the pot. Stir in adobo and truvia. Start with ½ tbsp of Adobo, and add a bit more if desired (up to 1 tbsp). It’s really up to personal preference, but work up to the tablespoon so you don’t over-season. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
Turn heat onto medium low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 125kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 11mg | Potassium: 431mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 145IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 0.9mg