If you are a fan of sweet potato fries, you have to try this Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries recipe. It is super simple, with a crispy outside, and soft center. This is the perfect side dish next to a burger, brats, and more.
This recipe tastes just like the deep fried version, but without all the excess oil. It is a healthier version for your favorite potato. You will never want to make them any other way.
🍽️ Why This Works
- Super simple prep
- A delicious side dish recipe
- Three ingredients
- Quick cook time
You can’t get much easier than these three common ingredients! I bet you have them in your kitchen already, so what’s stopping you from giving it a try?
- Sweet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
Step One: Peel and slice your sweet potatoes into fries. Try either wedges or stick fries like I did.
Step Two: Toss the potatoes with just a little bit of oil to evenly coat them. Spray the air fryer basket or tray with oil.
Step Three: Place the fries in the air fryer, and cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Make sure to flip half way through.
When they are done, remove and sprinkle with salt right away. Serve with your favorite dipping sauces.
❗ Expert Tips
- Depending on how thick or thin you make your fries, the cook time will vary.
- Serve them with any of your favorite sauces. I love ketchup.
- Try not to overlap the fries in the air fryer, or you will find they don’t cook evenly, and you will have soft spots.
- These are best served fresh and warm. Storing them for later will soften them up quite a bit.
- Make sure they are evenly sliced, or you will not get an even cook.
- Change up the flavor by adding garlic powder, paprika, herbs or sprinkle with cheese as they come out of the fryer pipping hot.
- To remove some of the starch and allow the fries to crisp up even more, soak the fries in a bowl of water for 20-30 minutes prior to prepping. Make sure to pat them dry.
- Meal prep these by peeling and cutting them up to three days early and store in a sealed container. When ready to cook, remove from container and proceed with the recipe as stated.
This recipe is pretty healthy. You will use olive oil which is a healthy fat, gain nutrients from the potatoes, and a sprinkle of salt. This is a delicious and nutritious side dish.
Start by peeling your potatoes, then use a sharp knife and then slice into sticks or wedges. The idea of it is even thickness on your fries. I aim anywhere from ½ inch to one inch slices.
When I cooked up our fries they took around 10 minutes. Now, if you have thicker fries allow more cook time, or if they are thin check before the 10 minute mark.
Simple ketchup or even bbq sauce is a great dip for sweet potato fries. You will also find many enjoy mixing mayo and bbq sauce together for a dipping sauce.
Sweet potatoes are naturally gluten free, so yes these fries are as well. There is no gluten used in any of the ingredients.
You don’t have to but you certainly can if you like. We love the olive oil flavor and tend to lean towards that but I have avocado oil spray that I use when cooking in my air fryer as well. If you want to control the amount of oil, use the sprays as it lightly coats without getting too heavy on certain areas.
Basically but you will extend the cooking time by five minutes. Always compare the frozen vs fresh on our Air Fryer Cheat Sheet.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer
- Olive Oil Sprayer (optional)
- 2-3 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp Coarse Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes into desired size of fries.
- Toss the fries in the oil. It will provide an extremely light coating.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil and place fries in the basket. Leave space for the air to flow.
- Cook on 400 for 10 minutes. Shake fries at the 5-minute mark. Cook for longer as needed.
- Remove fries and salt to taste immediately.