This Easy Oven Roasted Portobello Mushroom Pizza is so yummy it will change how you look at Friday pizza night! Best of all, it is made in less than 20 minutes. There’s a secret in this recipe and it’s so easy you will use it time and time again.
My local Wegmans has an amazing pizza bar! I love it, but I know that it isn’t the healthiest for me. I breezed past it this week and headed to produce where I saw a Portobello Mushroom Pizza in their ready-made area! ZING!
You know the feeling! I knew I could make that and it would fill my cravings without eating from the bar.
I could get all the flavor and satisfaction while still being (relatively) healthy! We left the guilt aside and felt great about the meal I was ready to make!
🍽️ Why This Recipe Works
Better Than Takeout – Hands down, once you try this, you will also kinda-sorta admit you didn’t miss the dough. It tastes just like your local pizzeria. I promise.
Fast – I know I say this again and again, but I really want you to have fast, easy recipes that are delicious. Plus, I want you to have “go-to” recipes that you WANT to make on those Friday nights when you are too tired too spend a lot of time in the kitchen. This one is faster than going to the drive thru.
Flavorful – The flavors of this are on point. Talk about a delicious dinner the whole family can enjoy.
You can’t help but smack your lips when you smell these cooking. Take a look at the main ingredients you need:
Portobello Mushrooms: The mushrooms give you a delicious meal idea that’s healthy and earthy flavored. Topped with a homemade sauce and the garlic herb spread, you are going to fall in love with them in no time.
Sauce: We use a homemade sauce that’s made with tomato sauce, tomato paste, and oregano. This combination is divine, and you can use the sauce for other recipes as well.
Garlic Herb Spread: There is nothing more incredible than this homemade garlic herb spread. It’s a show stopper and can be added to these mushrooms, steak, chicken, and even veggies. Don’t skip this part as it is what makes this taste out of this world.
If you run out of parsley, there is a huge list of substitutes to use.
Step One: Combine the seasonings and olive oil in a small bowl and set aside.
Step Two: Remove the stem and fins of the portobello mushroom with a spoon. It scrapes right out. You do not HAVE to remove that, but it frees up space for the pizza toppings.
Step Three: Brush both sides of the portobello with the olive oil/seasoning mixture. The mushroom will absorb the olive oil, but the herbs should stick, which is what you want! The olive oil will prevent the mushrooms from sticking to the pan.
Step Four: Add the sauce and the cheese and place on the sheet pan.
To make this vegan, replace the mozzarella cheese with a vegan-friendly variety like Violife, Miyoko or Daiya. The end result is a bit different, but it still tastes amazing!
Step Five: Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Just keep watching for the cheese to melt and even start to brown a bit.
Don’t skip the herbs/seasonings! So much of the flavor comes from there. It tastes like you visited a pizzeria. I actually think that is the hidden magic of the recipe!
🥣 Sauce Directions
Step One: Combine a 15 oz can of tomato sauce, three tablespoons of tomato paste and the oregano in a small bowl and stir.
BAM! It is ready to use.
You don’t even need to cook it! If you want a stronger flavor, simmer it on the the stove top. It will thicken in a few minutes. To keep this meal as quick and easy as possible, we chose the No-Cook Sauce method.
📚 Meal Prepping
This is a great one that you can meal prep and simply throw together when you get home! Let’s walk through the steps!
Meal Prep Version 1
- Scoop out the mushrooms, brush on the olive oil/herb seasonings, pour in the sauce and top with cheese.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Remove about 15 minutes before you want to cook it or you will have to cook it longer and you don’t want it to burn.
- This is a true “toss in the oven when I get home type of meal prep.”
Meal Prep Version 2
- Scoop out the mushrooms, prep the sauce and measure the cheese.
- Measure out the olive oil and herbs/seasonings but don’t combine them.
- When you get home, brush on the oil, and add the pizza toppings.
- Prep your sheet pan and bake.
Portobello mushrooms are large flat disk shaped mushrooms. This particular mushroom offers a “meaty” texture and flavor. It is a great mushroom for stuffing and baking, grilling, or air frying.
I wouldn’t. Mushrooms don’t freeze well.
Yes! Cook at 350 for 8-10 minutes depending on your Air Fryer. This works on a Ninja Foodi and Instant Pot Duo Crisp, just using the crisping lid instead of the pressure cooker lid on those two devices.
Yes, you can use the small bite sized ones and make appetizer version of this same recipe.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Sheet Pan Margherita Portobello Pizza
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms
- 8 oz Shredded Mozzarella
- 16 Basil Leaves fresh
No Cook Easy Pizza Sauce
- 15 oz Tomato Sauce can
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Oregano
Garlic Herb Spread
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Parsley
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
No Cook Easy Pizza Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and stir. Set aside. There is enough sauce to make 8 portobello mushroom pizzas.
Garlic Herb Spread
- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and stir.
- Remove the dark gills and the stem from the mushroom with a spoon.
- Brush the garlic herb spread on the outside and inside of the portobello mushroom. The olive oil will sink into the mushroom. You can add more if you like.
Oven Roasting Portobello Mushroom Pizza
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add a few tablespoons of the pizza sauce to the portobello mushroom. Add 2oz of mozzarella to each mushroom and pop in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Cook for 12 – 15 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and the top starts to turn brown. Remove the pizzas.
- Add fresh basil as the pizza comes out. If you want to add before, the basil will still taste good but will turn dark brown/black.
- Prep the mushrooms the same way.
- Air fry at 350 degrees, and cook for 6-10 minutes or until cheese is nice and melted.