My local Wegmans has an amazing pizza bar! I love their pizza, but I know that it isn’t the healthiest for me. I breezed past it this week and headed to produce where I saw this Portobello Pizza in their ready-made area! ZING! You know the feeling! I can make that and it will fill my pizza cravings without eating the big pizza from the bar. I can get all the pizza taste and satisfaction while still being (relatively) healthy! I left the guilt aside and felt great about the meal I was ready to make!
You can’t help but smack your lips when you smell these portobello mushroom pizzas cooking. They are incredible and are simple to make too. Take a look at the main ingredients you need:
Portobello Mushrooms: The mushrooms give you a delicious meal idea that’s healthy and earthy flavored. Topped with all the best sauce and the garlic herb spread, you are going to be in love with them in no time.
Pizza Sauce: We use a homemade sauce that’s made with tomato sauce, tomato paste, and oregano. This combination is diving, and you can use the sauce for other recipes as well.
Garlic Herb Spread: There is nothing more incredible than this homemade garlic herb spread. It’s a show stopper and can be added to these pizzas, steak, chicken, and even veggies.
How to Make Portobello Sheet Pan Pizza in Under 20 Minutes
Combine the seasonings and olive oil in a small bowl and set aside.
Remove the stem and fins of the portobello mushroom with a spoon. It scrapes right out. You do not HAVE to remove that, but it frees up space for the pizza toppings.
Brush both sides of the portobello mushroom with the olive oil/seasoning mixture. The mushroom will absorb the olive oil faster than you can brush it on, but the herbs should stick, which is what you want! The olive oil will prevent the mushrooms from sticking to the pan.
Add the sauce and the cheese and place on the sheet pan.
Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Just keep watching for the cheese to melt and even start to brown a bit.
Don’t skip the herbs/seasonings as so much of the flavor is coming from there. It tastes like you visited a pizzeria. I actually think that is the hidden magic of the recipe!
How to Make a No-Cook Pizza Sauce in Under Five Minutes
Combine a 15 oz can of tomato sauce, 3 tbsp tomato paste and 1 tbsp of oregano into a small bowl and stir. BAM! It is ready to use on your pizza.
You don’t have to cook it, but you can choose to boil this on the stove top. If you choose to boil this, it will become a tad thicker and will have a stronger taste. To keep this meal as quick and easy as possible, we chose the No-Cook Sauce method.
How to Meal Prep Portobello Mushroom Sheet Pan Pizza
This is a great one that you can meal prep and simply throw together when you get home! Let’s walk through the steps!
Meal Prep Version 1
- Scoop out the mushrooms, brush on the olive oil/herb seasonings, pour in the sauce and top with cheese. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Remove about 15 minutes before you want to cook it or you will have to cook it longer and you don’t want it to burn. This is a true “toss in the oven when I get home type of meal prep.”
Meal Prep Version 2
- Scoop out the mushrooms, prep the sauce and measure the cheese.
- Measure out the olive oil and herbs/seasonings but don’t combine them.
- When you get home, brush on the oil, and add the pizza toppings.
- Prep your sheet pan and bake.
Sheet Pan Margherita Portobello Pizza
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella
- 16 basil leaves fresh
No Cook Easy Pizza Sauce
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 3 `tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp oregano
Garlic Herb Spread
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
No Cook Easy Pizza Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and stir. Set aside. There is enough sauce to make 8 portobello mushroom pizzas.
Garlic Herb Spread
- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and stir.
- Remove the fins and stem of the mushroom with a spoon.
- Brush the garlic herb spread on the outside and inside of the portobello mushroom. The olive oil will sink into the mushroom. You can add more if you like.
Oven Roasting Portobello Mushroom Pizza
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add a few tablespoons of the pizza sauce to the portobello mushroom. Add 2oz of mozzarella to each mushroom and pop in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Cook for 12 – 15 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and the top starts to turn brown. Remove the portobellos pizzas.
- Add fresh basil as the pizza comes out. If you want to add before, the basil will still taste good but will turn dark brown/black.