This Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe is a quick and healthier take on your favorite reliable takeout dish, vegetable fried rice. And at just 204 calories and 4 Freestyle Points per serving, it makes a perfectly light side dish.Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe
Guys, this cauliflower fried rice recipe tastes just like actual fried rice. I am a rice lover through and through, and can say that this is one healthy swap I don’t mind one bit.
This cauliflower fried rice is ready in under 20 minutes, so it makes a SUPER quick dinner.
Having some cauliflower fried rice around our house is a must. We use it for so many different meals as a side dish. I hope you get as much use out of this recipe as we do. Let’s discuss some of the ingredients that you’re going to be needing.
Eggs: we wanted to make our fried rice recipe so similar to regular fried rice that we knew we had to add some eggs to it. Let me tell you the eggs take it from ordinary to extraordinary in a matter of minutes.
Frozen vegetables: using a combination of frozen peas, carrots, and frozen corn gives this fried rice recipe a look, texture, and feel of typical fried rice. That’s exactly what we were going for, and you’ll be so excited to know this is so much healthier for you than traditional fried rice recipes.
Cauliflower: obviously, the star of the show is going to be the cauliflower. You will need 5 cups of fresh cauliflower. You can mince it, or you can crumble it depending on what you have available to prepare it. If you want to mince it, you could put it in your food processor for a couple of minutes until it has been minced.
Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe Tips
- Make it Gluten Free. To make this cauliflower fried rice recipe gluten free, use a gluten free soy sauce or tamari.
- Make it Vegan. To make this recipe vegan, skip the eggs. They definitely do add to the flavor of the dish, but it’ll still be a tasty batch of veggie fried rice without it!
To save some time, instead of ricing the cauliflower myself, I just used minced cauliflower from the produce aisle at the store.
I’ve seen it called a few things…
- minced cauliflower
- cauliflower crumbles
- riced cauliflower
It’s basically all the same thing, so any of these types will work. You just want them to be rice-like in shape. You can also, of course, make your own from fresh cauliflower. I wanted to save some time, so I cheated a bit.
Can I use Frozen Cauliflower Rice?
I’ve seen a ton of cauliflower fried rice recipes using frozen, so yes, you definitely can use frozen. The reason I didn’t is because I think it would probably make the rice a bit soggy, so I prefer to use fresh.
Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 Eggs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. Vegetable Oil Divided
- 1/2 Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 cup Frozen Peas and Carrots
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Corn
- 5 cups Fresh Minced/Crumbled Cauliflower find it pre-packaged in produce section
- 1 tsp. Sesame Oil
- 2 Green Onions Chopped
- 4 tbsp. Soy Sauce Low Sodium
- 3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 2 tsp. Sesame Oil
- Beat two eggs in a medium bowl along with a dash of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, garlic and 1 tsp. sesame oil, set aside.
- In a large pan, heat 1/2 tbsp. of vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add onion and frozen vegetables. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining vegetable oil to pan and add riced cauliflower and soy sauce mixture. Saute for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium heat. Move all ingredients to one side of the pan. Then add 1 tsp. sesame oil to the empty part of the pan, and add eggs to the sesame oil.Scramble eggs on one side of the pan for about 3 minutes, then incorporate into the cauliflower rice. Sauté additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add green onions. Serve immediately.