These funfetti cake mix cookies are perfect when you’re craving a sweet dessert, but don’t want to put in a whole lot of effort to make it. In just 20 minutes you can have these soft, pillowy funfetti cookies made from cake mix!
These vibrant cake mix cookies are the perfect sweet treat for all the lazy bakers (like me!) out there. We’ve all been there… you have a sweet tooth and want something that is super simple to prepare. These cookies are the answer to your cravings!
Not only are these cookies easy to make, but they’re also so fun and colorful! These are perfect for a kids party, baby showers, or even for gifting during the holidays. Just wrap them up nicely and you’ve got a tasty and pretty holiday gift.
Why This Recipe Works
Lots of Mix-In Options – Add anything from chocolate to dried fruits. They are so flavorful and taste great with other ingredients too.
Fast and Easy – Make a batch of cookies in just 20 minutes. How easy is that?
Frugal – With only five ingredients, you don’t have to worry about spending a bunch of money. The total recipe will run you about $4 the first time and about $1- 1.50 the second or third time.
You seriously only need five ingredients to make these cookies, and they are fantastic.
Boxed Cake Mix – For best results, use the funfetti cake mix. It’s so tasty and gives you that bright, bold flavor you are looking for.
Sprinkles – The star of the show are vibrant sprinkles. They are so playful and fun.
Vanilla – A little bit of vanilla gives you that bakery flavor that’s truly irresistible. Swap it for almond extract for a fun twist.
I can’t wait for you to sink your teeth into these easy cake mix cookies. Don’t forget to take them to all your upcoming parties and events too.
Step One: Heat the oven to 375 degrees and add parchment paper to the baking sheet.
Step Two: Combine the eggs, cake mix, oil, and vanilla into a large bowl. Combine until all the cake is well and incorporated.
Step Three: Fold in the sprinkles carefully. Don’t mix too much or they will bleed into the batter.
Step Four: Use nonstick spray to grease your hands, then roll the cookie dough into balls. Put them on the baking sheet leaving one inch in between the cookies.
Step Five: Add a few extra sprinkles on the cookie dough balls. You can never REALLY have enough, right?!
Step Six: Put the cookies in the oven and bake them for 10-11 minutes. The cookies will firm up as they cool down. Let them cool and enjoy!
📌 Expert Tips
- Don’t over-mix the batter. If you do, the cookies will be dense, hard, and not as delicious as light and fluffy as you want.
- Check your oven temperature. Use an oven thermometer to test the temp every once in a while. Adjust the temp if needed, so you don’t over- or under-cook them.
- Don’t overbake. They will become hard and dry if you bake them too long, so keep a close watch. Take them out when they are still quite soft, as they will continue to bake for about two minutes on the cookie sheet after being removed from the oven.
- Allow the cookie sheet to cool between batches. If you put more cookie dough on a hot sheet, it’s going to start baking right away. This can affect the entire texture of the cookie. I am too impatient to wait, so I rotate between two cookie sheets.
- Don’t bake more than one batch of cookies at a time. Overcrowding the oven will affect how the cookies bake. For the best results, baking one batch at a time is the way to go.
- Leave the cookies on the baking sheet to finish cooking. Leaving the cookies on the baking sheet is actually a crucial step that many people skip. First, this will allow the cookies to be easily moved without tearing the bottom, and they keep baking for a few minutes.
🍒 Mix-in Options
Instead of sprinkling extra sprinkles on top like I did, consider adding different mix-ins.
- Add white chocolate chips for a double chocolate cookie.
- Add dried sweetened cherries or cranberries. This will add a gorgeous color to offset the white batter.
- Add dark chocolate chips for a tuxedo funfetti chocolate chip cookie.
- Roll the entire cookie ball into the funfetti sprinkles, so they are completely covered prior to baking.
- Mix in a ¼ cup peanut butter chips with a ¼ cup milk chocolate chips. I haven’t tried the Heath chips, but I imagine that they would be fun.
Allow your imagination to run wild here. Cake mix cookies are so much fun to make plus they are so cheap! We adapted the 8 Christmas Cookie Mix In’s and used a basic cake mix cookie like this one and used the suggested mix ins! So much fun!
🥄 Recipe FAQ
It’s important not to over-bake the cookies, so it’s a good idea to know what you’re looking for. When done, the edges of the cookies will be golden brown. You’ll notice the centers are still soft. Always leave the cookies on the sheet until it cools down. Once you remove them from the oven, the center will flatten out a little and finish baking.
The other tip I have is to invest in a nice oven thermometer to check to see the actual temperature of your oven. I just bought a new thermometer and found out my oven is cooking 15 degrees UNDER what I set it at. I had to accommodate for that.
Yes, absolutely! You can really use any kind of cake mix you have on hand and follow the same recipe. They will be delicious cookie no matter what flavor you go with. Here are some ideas to try:
Red Velvet Cake – Use red velvet cake mix and add in some white chocolate chips. Yum!
Devil’s Food – You may not ever want a regular cookie again after you taste these scrumptious treats. Toss in a few semi-sweet chocolate chips to take them to the next level of yummy.
Spice Cake – You’ll be hooked on these spicy cookies! Add some of your favorite cream cheese frosting and drizzle over the top after taking them from the oven.
Lemon Cake – If you’re looking for something light and refreshing, add a lemon cake mix to your list.
Strawberry Cake – Another option for a simple and divine flavor that will win over any crowd. They are delightful with cream cheese frosting and garnished with pink sprinkles.
Yes, you can make some substitutions in these funfetti cake mix cookies for the eggs. Whether you have an allergy or just don’t like using eggs, you have a few options. For best results, use ¼ cup of greek yogurt, apple sauce, or mashed banana instead of an egg. The texture will be a little different, but they will taste great.
Yes, if you want to make these cake mix cookies sugar free, you’ll need to start with a sugar-free cake mix. Then use sugar-free sprinkles to the batter. They will taste just as amazing and you won’t even know the difference.
After the cookies have cooled, place them inside of an airtight storage container. I use a Ziploc bag. They will last 4-5 days in the pantry or on the counter. These are great for making ahead for parties and events because they last a few days.
Yes, you can freeze these cookies. For best results, flash freeze them by placing the cookies in the freezer on a baking sheet for one hour. Then remove them from the baking sheet and place them inside of a storage container or freezer bag. They will last up to one month in the freezer. To eat them, just thaw them out and devour!
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- 15 oz. Box Funfetti Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs
- ⅓ cup Canola Oil
- 1 tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Sprinkles plus additional for topping
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Add cake mix, eggs, canola oil and vanilla to a large bowl. Mix well until the dry cake mix has been completely incorporated.
- Gently fold the sprinkles into the batter.
- Spray hands with nonstick spray. Roll dough into balls and place on a cookie sheet at least 1″ apart to allow the cookies room to expand.
- Top each dough ball with additional sprinkles and gently pat sprinkles into tops of cookies before baking.
- Bake for 10 to 11 minutes. Cookies will be a bit soft to handle, but they’ll firm up a bit as they cool. The bottoms should be lightly golden. Let them cool before enjoying.