Make this Honey Teriyaki Tofu Recipe for an easy dinner for two.
Me and tofu haven’t always been friends. After many meh attempts at figuring out how to use the stuff, I’m finally starting to get more comfortable cooking with it. I got brave last week and decided to adapt my honey teriyaki chicken recipe for tofu.
If you follow me on instagram, you probably saw the super dry (but still tasty) version I came up with last week. It took another attempt and after some tweaking, this saucy, slightly sticky beautiful tofu came about.
Since this honey teriyaki tofu recipe is a main dish, I divided the tofu into two big helpings and served with some rice and broccoli.
Use a rice cooker to make the rice + steam the broccoli at the same time, and dinner will come together super quickly.
Don’t let the prep time shown on the recipe fool you.. the actual amount of hands-on time for this honey teriyaki tofu recipe is 15 minutes – 5 minutes of prep, 10 minutes of cooking… but there is an hour of marinating in the fridge.
I wanted to take a second and discuss some of the main ingredients for this honey Teriyaki tofu recipe.
Extra Firm Tofu: After a few attempts you will get used to working with tofu. It really isn’t that bad once you combine the right recipes and this honey teriyaki tofu is exactly what you’ve been looking for.
Sauce: The incredible sauce is the star of the show when it comes to this dish. You will need a combination of honey, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, and sesame seeds. They go together perfectly to create the best sauce you’ll ever taste.
Olive Oil: I like the way using olive oil makes this dish taste perfect. You could swap it for another kind of oil if you wanted to. Coconut oil would be a really good option as well. The oil provides you with a great texture of the cooked tofu.
Honey Teriyaki Tofu Recipe for Two
- 14 oz. Extra Firm Tofu pressed
- ¼ cup Honey
- ¼ cup Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce low sodium
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- Sesame Seeds to taste
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Use your hands to rip pressed tofu into large uneven chunks. Set aside in a bowl or food storage container.
- To make the marinde: In a small bowl, whisk together honey, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, minced garlic and pepper. Pour over tofu. Gently mix tofu and marinade so tofu is evenly covered in marinade. Cover, refrigerate for an hour.
- To make the sauce: Using the same small bowl, whisk together honey, teriyaki sauce and soy sauce. Cover, refrigerate for an hour.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add tofu and marinade. Let cook for about 2 minutes, until sauce begins to boil. Cook for about 8 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir less frequently as the sauce reduces in order to allow each piece to brown.Once sauce has reduced, stir in the pre-made finishing sauce. Stir for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in sesame seeds.