Enjoy your favorite takeout dish with this vegetable lo mein recipe. This veggie packed 25 minute meal will become a family favorite!
Vegetable Lo Mein Recipe
I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love this vegetable lo mein recipe! I’ve been making a version of this veggie lo mein for years and it has yet to disappoint. It’s one of those reliable recipes that you actually look forward to making on busy weeknights.This vegetable lo mein recipe can hold its own against any veggie lo mein I’ve had from a restaurant. Dare I say that I even like it way more than the actual takeout version, which I usually find a little too heavy for my tastes.
This homemade version is bright, fresh, packed with veggies and is a beautiful and colorful meal that you’ll be proud to put on the table.I know it’s a vegetable lo mein recipe… and there are actually no lo mein noodles in sight. I used spaghetti instead since I figured almost everyone has that on-hand and is familiar with cooking spaghetti.
But if you want to whip up a more authentic version of this dish, just use your favorite lo mein noodles!
Substitutions and suggestions for this vegetable lo mein recipe:
- Add in your favorite stir-fry friendly vegetables like mushroom or broccoli
- If you want to make this spicy, add some crushed red pepper flakes
- Substitute red onion for yellow onion
- Adjust the sauce to taste by adding more lime juice or sesame oil
This vegetable lo mein recipe was featured in my Free Vegetarian Dinner Meal Plan! The meal plan includes five vegetarian dinner recipes with a shopping list and tips for saving money on groceries, wrapped up into a convenient printable PDF. You can grab your free meal plan by clicking the picture above!
Vegetable Lo Mein Recipe
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Small Yellow Onion thinly Sliced
- 1 Cup Matchstick Carrots or shredded carrots
- 1 Red Bell Pepper thinly sliced
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper thinly sliced
- 3 Cloves Garlic minced
- 4 Cups Baby Spinach
- 1 Cup snow peas
- 8 oz. Spaghetti or Lo Mein Noodles
- 2 Green Onions chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 tbsp. Soy Sauce Low Sodium
- 2 tsp. Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp. Lime Juice Fresh Squeezed
- 1/2 tsp. Sugar or Equivalent amount of Stevia
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all sauce ingredients. Mix well, set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large pan. Add onion, peppers and carrots. Salt lightly. Use tongs to sauté for about 7 minutes. Add in garlic, spinach and snow peas, saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add noodles and sauce to pan and toss until well combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in sesame seeds and green onion.