Savory Pumpkin Pizza is the perfect match for a grown up movie night by a hot fire! You know the nights when you want to eat something different and you are tired of eating out. This is the pizza for you!
This pizza is definitely geared for the grown up in all of us. The only thing traditional here is the pizza dough and there is cheese…but not mozzarella!
If you have kids, you probably know how tiring it can be to eat cheese pizza. I am a huge pizza lover, but I really want to have it made with grown up toppings now and again. Can you relate?
So that is how Savory Pumpkin Pizza came about! Grown up pizza night is ready for the cool evenings in Autumn. Pumpkin Palooza brings several creative pumpkin recipes your way, just like this one!
How to Make Savory Pumpkin Pizza
This pizza is quick to make. I bet you’ll be able to make it faster than the time it takes to go pick up take out. The ready made dough helps it come together so fast!
Start off with a small pan to saute the half of the onions. You can cook them just 2-3 minutes or spend 10-15 minutes and fully caramelize them. I prefer the flavor of the caramelized version. Both work and both are incredible!
While that is cooking, combine the pumpkin, shallots, thyme and the other half of the onions in a bowl and stir. Add the parmesan cheese and salt and pepper and stir.
**This is a great time to use any roasted garlic that you have leftovers if you made the Chunky Pumpkin Salsa. The directions are listed in that recipe and are sooo good!
Prep the dough according to the instructions provided on the packaging and form it into a circle. Top the dough with the pumpkin mixture, onions and arugula. Sprinkle with havarti cheese and cook according to the directions on the dough packaging.
Can I Substitute Havarti Cheese
Absolutely! Since Havarti tastes mild like a white American Cheese, you can substitute white American or even Mozzarella.
If you like Savory Pumpkin Pizza, make sure to check out the other pumpkin recipes:
Roasted Pumpkin Pie Spiced Pecans – these are a super easy snack that you can make to snack on or to bring to a tailgate party! Make these and put them in bags for office mates for the holidays.
Pumpkin Delight Dessert – this is such a yummy alternative to heavy pumpkin desserts! It is fresh and creamy and whips up in a jiffy.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Salsa Chicken – this is a great alternative to the standard Salsa Chicken that we all love! The chicken get a little bit of kick from the corn salsa and served with a bed of rice.
Slow Cooker Black Bean Pumpkin Chili – thick and creamy chili that protein packed! It makes a great hearty meal on a chilly fall weekend.
Savory Pumpkin Pizza
- 1 1./2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 ready to bake pizza dough
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp thyme fresh
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 cups Havarti cheese grated
- 1 cup arugula rinsed
- olive oil as needed
- Preheat the oven according to what your pizza dough package suggests.
- In a medium frying pan over medium low heat, cook about half of the onions with a splash of olive oil.
- Cook for 2 minutes, or until fragrant and soft. You can cook longer and carmelize them, as desired.
- Sprinkle sugar over onions, stir and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together pumpkin puree, garlic, shallot, thyme, and remaining onion until combined.
- Stir in parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until incorporated.
- Prepare and shape dough to be flat and circular.
- Spread pumpkin mixture evenly over dough and top with arugula and cooked onions.
- Sprinkle with havarti cheese and cook pizza according to dough package/recipe instructions.