Pumpkin Salsa Chicken recipe is the perfect recipe for fall. This pumpkin slow cooker chicken is loaded with flavor, and a hands-off cooking approach. A simple slow cooker chicken recipe the whole family can enjoy.
We made a batch of Pumpkin Salsa (included below) and it is so delish. You will want to keep eating it and not share! I pinky swear. So my husband said, “You should make this in the crockpot with the chicken” and I thought he was a GENIUS!
So yes, this is a two step recipe! You will have to make the salsa…schucks 😏…to make the Crockpot Pumpkin Salsa Chicken! You’ll be so happy you did though! This is such a simple dump and go recipe! It melts in your mouth!
🥘 Why This Recipe Works
Variation to Classic Salsa Chicken – This is a variation of the old fashioned Crockpot Salsa Chicken that we have all made at one time or another! If you haven’t made it, give it a try. It only uses a couple of ingredients, but it is a delicious meal that is all made in the magic of the crockpot!
Pumpkin Salsa Recipe – If you love pumpkin salsa and don’t know what do use it with, here is an out of the box recipe!
Set It And Forget It – Slow cooker meals are awesome for tossing ingredients in, placing lid on, and walking away. This is a great dinner idea for a busy weeknight when you know you won’t have time to cook.
Chicken – I used some chicken breasts that I got on sale, but any cut of chicken will work.
Pumpkin Purée – Make sure not to mix this up with Pumpkin Pie filling. The cans look very similar. Just sayin’!
Corn Salsa – You can make this yourself, but I love the variety from Stonewall. So Yummy!
Step One: Make the Pumpkin Salsa in recipe card below.
Step Two: Spray the crockpot with non-stick spray and add a layer of the salsa.
Step Three: Place chicken breasts or thighs in next.
Note: You have a choice to either pan fry the breasts first or you can simply dump and go! I like the crispy breasts but that is personal preference! If you pan fry them first, you can decrease the cooking time to 4-5 hours as they are partially cooked already!
Step Four: Top with the Pumpkin Salsa and turn on high for 2-3 hours or on low 6-7 hours.
If you happen to have leftovers, you can store in the fridge for around three days. Reheat in the microwave, or in the oven in a covered dish. This is a great leftover, as it has tasty flavors in each bite.
You can freeze this chicken as well. Store in a freezer friendly container for up to three months.
📌 Expert Tips
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of your chicken. You want it to read 165 degrees internally.
- Make sure to not overcook the chicken as it can become dry.
- Use boneless or bone-in chicken. Just alter the cooking time as you need.
- Homemade pumpkin salsa or store bought works great for this recipe. As you can see we made our own for this chicken. To save prep, buy jarred and toss in.
USDA recommends not putting frozen chicken in the slow cooker, as it will stay at an unsafe temperature for too long while it thaws out before it begins cooking. Some people love using frozen meat in the slow cooker, and run the risk.
Pumpkin salsa is where you have pumpkin purée that is paired with corn, tomatoes, garlic, green chilis and more. It is a flavorful salsa that is really delicious.
Want to bake the chicken instead of a crockpot chicken? Go ahead and place the chicken in a greased pan, and pour the ingredients on top. We also top it with a little bit of cheese right before it comes out and it is fabulous.
Cover and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, then check and finish cooking until the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Salsa Chicken
Slow Cooker Chunky Pumpkin Salsa Chicken
- 1 can Pumpkin Purée
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- ½ jar Stonewall Kitchen Spicy Corn Relish any store bought corn relish/salsa will do
- 2 Roasted Garlic Cloves
- 1 Onion
- 1 can Green Chilis chopped
- 4 Chicken Breasts
Chunky Pumpkin Salsa
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut the top off of a head of garlic, drizzle or spray with olive oil and wrap in a piece of foil. Place on sheet pan. Cut onion into quarters and drizzle or spray with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast these both on the same sheet pan for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow it to cool.
- Combine the pumpkin purée, canned tomatoes, and sugar into a food processor. Add 2-3 roasted garlic cloves, to taste. Pulse a couple of times and STIR in chilis and corn salsa.
- The pumpkin salsa is ready to use on the slow cooker recipe or to serve at pumpkin carving party.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Salsa Chicken
- Spray non stick inside the slow cooker and add a layer of the pumpkin salsa.
- Add the chicken breasts.
- Add more Chunky Pumpkin Salsa on top of the chicken. Turn on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
- Serve as a stand alone chicken, over a bed of rice to make a burrito bowl or inside tortillas with avocado, cheese and sour cream.