If you’re looking for an easy make ahead breakfast, you’ll love this scrambled egg muffins recipe!
Updated February 2020. I love experimenting with new make ahead breakfast ideas and these scrambled egg muffin cups are definitely a keeper! They’re so simple to make and are flavored with just a bit of parmesan cheese and salsa.
You can make them up a few days ahead of time and have a quick and easy on-the-go breakfast ready each morning.
Why Do My Egg Muffins Deflate?
Sometimes your egg muffins will deflate. It tastes the same, but loses that nice fluffy texture. Here are some ideas on how to avoid that.
- Insufficient whisking. Vigorous whisking introduces air bubbles into the egg mixture. That is what gives it the nice, fluffy texture. If you are not seeing your egg muffins remain puffy, try to whisk the eggs more next time.
- Overcooking is one of the leading causes for severe deflation. The air bubbles heat up too much, expand and burst.
- Let the eggs cool slowly. Cooling too fast (like in the fridge) will not give the proteins a chance to set up and trap the air bubbles. I bet you didn’t think high school chemistry would come back to haunt you! 🤣
Can You Scramble Eggs The Night Before?
You can, but it’s really not recommended. The act of whisking the eggs will introduce the air bubbles and give your muffins that great texture. If you whisk the night before, the air bubbles will slowly escape and you’ll be left with a flat egg mixture.
It just takes a minute to whisk the eggs, so just do it immediately before baking. There are other areas where your meal prep skills will be better served.
Can You Freeze and Reheat Egg Muffins?
Absolutely! I let these cool naturally, flash freeze them on a cookie sheet and then store them in the freezer in one gallon freezer bags. I will make two or three batches at once.
In the morning before I head out the door, I will grab one and then warm them up in the microwave for about 30-seconds.
Now that you know a little bit about eggs and all the different ways that you can prepare them, it’s time to get down to the recipe and make it for yourself!
If you like this grab and go breakfast, check out my free ebook for 15 additional recipes to help you eating healthy with busy mornings!
How to Make Scrambled Egg Muffins
What You’ll Need:
- 6 Eggs
- 6 tbsps. Chunky Salsa
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese, to taste
Preheat oven to 400F. Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray. Use a cloth or paper towel to wipe off any excess.
Place a heaping forkful of chunky salsa into the bottom of each muffin tin. Crack an egg over top each one. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then use a fork to break open the yolk and gently mix the salsa and egg together. We want more of a marbled look rather than a full on scramble.
Top with parmesan cheese, bake for about 20 minutes.
Once done, run a spoon or dinner knife around the edges to scoop the egg cups out of the muffin tin.
Store for up to 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container. To reheat, microwave for about 30 seconds.
Scrambled Egg Muffins Recipe
- 6 Eggs
- 6 tbsp Salsa chunky
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray. Use a cloth or paper towel to wipe off any excess.
- Place a heaping forkful of chunky salsa into the bottom of each muffin tin. Crack an egg over top of each one. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then use a fork to break open the yolk and gently mix the salsa and egg together. We want more of a marbled look rather than a full on scramble.
- Top with Parmesan cheese, bake for about 20 minutes.
- Once done, run a spoon or dinner knife around the edges to scoop the egg cups out of the muffin tin.
- Store for up to 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container or for a few weeks in the freezer. To reheat, microwave for about 30 seconds.
More Breakfast Ideas
20 Breakfast Freezer Meals – More than twenty additional recipes to make breakfast freezer meals and really speed up your morning routine. You’ll save a lot of money by not eating out!
Make-Ahead Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches – I love this collection of breakfast sandwich ideas! It is fun to make a platter full of them, stick them in the freezer and grab one in the morning on the way out the door!
Egg Toast Pizza – For a fun twist on breakfast, turn your eggs and toast into this fun Egg Toast Pizza recipe. Wins all around!