Looking for a special morning treat for a fun holiday celebration? This sausage breakfast casserole is a classic, and is my go-to recipe.
This sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast casserole recipe is SUCH an easy breakfast idea!
I’m a breakfast casserole lover because they’re so simple to make and this is by far one of the best ones I’ve tried!
Sausage – I used a mild flavored sausage for this, but it is easy to include a spicy or herb flavored variety as well. There are a lot of eggs and bread in this recipe, so the spicy flavors won’t become overwhelming.
Cheese – Cheddar cheese is the classic ingredient here. Change it up for a more mild American cheese or add in some smoked cheese to really change up the flavors.
Step One: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Step Two: Brown the sausage in a skillet and drain well. Let it drain thoroughly, otherwise the final casserole will turn out a bit greasy.
Step Three: Slice the bread into cubes. I used a white sandwich bread this time, but have used both sour dough and french bread in the past. They all work really well. I happened to have the white loaf bread and wanted to save a few bucks.
Step Four: Add eggs, milk, garlic and salt and pepper to a large bowl and whip until frothy. The whipping process will add air to the eggs and allow the casserole to be light and fluffy after it is cooked.
Step Five: Add the bread cubes, sausage and cheese to the egg mixture. Toss it gently to make sure the bread is thoroughly coated. Cover and let site in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. This time is needed so the bread can soak up the egg mixture.
Step Six: Pour the mixture into the casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese.
Step Seven: Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. Check it at 30 to see if the center is cooked through. Some ovens cook hotter than others, so I left a time range here.
💡 Recipe Tips
This is a great recipe for meal prepping. Cube the bread and make the egg mixture the night before. Cover the eggs and keep them in the fridge. In the morning, whip the eggs and combine with the other ingredients. This will save you time, and allow you to spend time with your family in the morning.
I mentioned it above, but give sourdough bread a shot here. It is slightly tangy and really adds a fun flavor.
If you’re looking for an easy breakfast casserole for Christmas mornings or holidays, this is the one! It’s super simple to make, uses simple ingredients you probably already have on-hand and it’s a definite crowd pleaser!
Sausage Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb Ground Sausage
- 6 Eggs
- 1 tsp Garlic
- 2 cups Milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese reserve 1/2 cup for topping
- 4 Slices Sandwich Bread
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare casserole dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- Brown sausage in skillet, then drain.
- Slice the bread into cubes by stacking the slices of bread, then slice into thirds lengthwise. Slice those thirds into thirds to create cubes. Using the crust is optional!
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, pepper and garlic until slightly frothy.
- Stir in bread cubes, cheese and sausage. Make sure that the bread cubes are thoroughly covered in the mixture so it can properly soak in.
- Let sit for 20 minutes. Then pour the mixture into the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the reserved shredded cheese over the casserole.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.