Slow Cooker Apple Dump Cake (using just four ingredients!) saves the day when you need a fast and delicious dessert that is sure to please the family! We all have those functions and events when we are wicked-busy trying to do 20 things in the next three hours and yet still need to be responsible for bringing a dessert to the potluck/function/party later the same day.
So instead of being frantic or buying something at the store on the way, whip up this incredible homemade dump cake that will bring back memories of your childhood! Seriously, doesn’t it make you feel like you are at your Gram’s house with the hard candy and a crocheted afghan? It has all the feels, you guys!
Ok, come off of memory lane with me and let’s make a dump cake!
What is a Dump Cake?
If you haven’t made a dump cake before, you might think this is a bit crazy! Dump cakes are meant to be easy and frugal at the same time. They come from the era when families didn’t have as much, so they literally “dumped” ingredients into a pan and cooked it.
There is a lot of flexibility with the types of cake mixes used the fillings! Just make sure you use that butter (not to sound too much like Paula Deen, right?) that makes the topping come together.
Generally, a dump cake will be made in a 9×13 or 8×11 pan but for this one, we want to show you a completely hands off way to make it in the slow cooker.
How to Make Slow Cooker Apple Dump Cake
Spray the inside of a 4 – 6 quart slow cooker with non stick spray.
Step One: Pour in one can of apple pie filling. This can be substituted with other pie fillings if you want to be a rebel! (hint: try cherry pie! YUM!)
Step Two: Pour about ⅔ of the box of the apple spice cake mix over the pie filling. Substitute white or yellow cake mix for a more mild flavoring.
Step Three: Pour the melted butter and add the lid.
Cook for 2-3 hours. About 2 hours in, I like to go in and make sure the cake mix is fully immersed in the apples/butter mixture. I use a spoon and dab the dry parts down a bit and make sure they end up mixed in.
I have served this with ice cream, cool whip and homemade whipped topping. All of them make this scrumptious dessert with zero effort!
Tips For Dump Cake
- For an extra gooey dump cake, try using two cans of apple pie filling. So good! The filling to cake mix ratio is incredible when you do it this way!
- To mix up the flavor, try the white or vanilla cake mix instead of the spice. To add a bit more flavor, add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to give it just a tad extra flavor!
- Consider making your topping a crumb topping. To do this, combine the cake mix with the melted butter to make little pebbles or balls and clumps. Spread that out over the apple pie filling and cook as instructed. Delish! It’s the same ingredients, but you changed up how you used them.
- Look at Trader Joe’s or some specialty stores for cake mixes that are a little bit less traditional than what you might find at the local grocery store.
- Use the good ol’ Jiffy Cake Mix. Yes!! Jiffy will work here. I recommend using two boxes for the one called for in the recipe!
- Always think of using a cherry pie filling for a cherry dump cake. That is a classic. Substitute frozen fruit for a peach or mixed berry dump cake. Mix it up and have fun with this easy and inexpensive dessert.
Don’t put that Slow Cooker away quite yet. Here are a few more Slow Cooker recipes to get you inspired!
Slow Cooker Christmas Coffee – HANDS DOWN, this is one of my favorite coffees EVER! So delish that I can’t make too often or I may get into some trouble. But it is easy and a huge hit with friends. Think potluck, cookie exchanges, Bunko, book club…You get the idea!
Slow Cooker Lemon Herb Turkey Legs – THREE INGREDIENTS! That alone should be enough to get you going, but if it doesn’t – it is delicious as well! Invite the friends over because the wine base will fool your guests into thinking this was a complex foodie dinner. No one will guess that you cooked this in a crockpot!
Slow Cooker Burrito Bowl – I love a “hands off, but dinner is ready when I get home” meal! This one is great for the families because everyone can add what they like so there is no complaining.
Slow Cooker Black Bean Pumpkin Chili – This is perfect for cold evenings when you need something warm and hearty to take the chill off of your bones. The pumpkin serves as a thickening agent that makes this chili come to life!
Slow Cooker Apple Spice Dump Cake
- 1 box Spice Cake Mix
- 1 can apple pie filling
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1 tbs vanilla optional
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Spray the insert of the slow cooker.
- Mix the apple pie filling with the 1 tbsp of vanilla in a bowl. Dump in the slow cooker. (The vanilla is optional)
- Top the apple filling with the box of spice cake mix.
- Pour the melted butter on top of the spice cake mix. Top with chopped pecans.
- Place lid on top and cook for 2-3 hours on low.
- Midway, I check on it and make sure that the cake mix is being absorbed into the butter/apple mixture. If it is missing a bit, I use the back of a spoon and push it down into the mixture a bit to help get it moist and fully incorporated.