This soft, gooey, and chewy Mixed Berry Dump Cake Recipe is packed with a sweet and tart berry flavor. Just five ingredients and five minutes of prep time for this frugal dessert.
This dump cake has two awesome features – it has less added sugar thanks to using SPLENDA, and it has no butter! It teeters just on the border of tart and sweet, and I think it has the perfect balance.
Instead of butter, I used unsweetened applesauce to moisten the batter. Between the juices released from the frozen berries and the applesauce, the cake is beyond moist.
I mixed all of the ingredients in a bowl before “dumping” the cake into the pan to create an even consistency. Yes, I know I broke the cardinal “one step” rule of dump cakes. I’m sorry. Don’t be mad. It was worth it.
🍽️ Why This Recipe Works
Easy – This literally only takes five minutes to throw the ingredients together. The rest of the time is spent dreaming of taking that first delectable bite.
Great for a crowd – Each batch feeds eight people. You can please any crowd by making multiple batches of this gooey goodness.
Great for holidays – If you need something to take to the next holiday party or potluck, be sure to grab this to take with you. No one can resist its tastiness.
Dump cakes are my favorite because they are literally so easy to make. You only need a handful of ingredients and you end up with an amazing dessert that was pretty much effortless to make. Let’s talk about some of the main ingredients in this recipe.
Berries: I personally like the flavor of the mixed berries. It just adds more depth to the cake and tastes amazing. If you don’t like all the berries, just use strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries. It’s completely up to you.
Yellow Cake Mix: Yellow cake mix is one of the most important ingredients. If you feel rebellious, swap it out for french vanilla, white, or pretty much any other cake mix. They all work beautifully.
Applesauce: I highly recommend using unsweetened applesauce. Between the berries and the SPLENDA, you don’t want to overdo it.
Step One: Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Step Two: Mix the berries, lemon juice, and SPLENDA in a large bowl. Combine well until the berries have been coated evenly.
Step Three: Sprinkle in the cake mix and add the applesauce. Combine until the mix has been fully combined and there aren’t any dusty bits of cake mix.
Step Four: Pour the mixture into a sprayed 9×13 baking pan. Put it in the oven and bake it for 60 minutes.
Step Five: Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool. Add a big scoop of ice cream and enjoy!
📌 Expert Tips
- The cake tastes even better when it sits overnight. It allows the juices to be absorbed by the cake, and it’s heavenly.
- It’s important to stir the cake mix into the fruit enough that you don’t see any dry cake mix. Otherwise, you may have some powdery spots as it bakes.
- To make the cake gluten-free, swap the regular cake mix for a gluten-free variety.
Yep! It’s a great idea to keep leftover dump cake refrigerated. It will make it last longer, and you can enjoy it for five days instead of just one day if you store it on the counter.
It’s called a dump cake because you essentially dump all the ingredients in and toss it in the oven. Then boom…you have a delicious cake.
Certainly! We use mixed berries a lot because they are naturally sweet and taste so good. However, you could use various other fruits. Peaches, apples, and cherries would be some pretty tasty options as well.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Mixed Berry Dump Cake
- 32 oz Frozen Mixed Berries
- 4 tbsp SPLENDA®
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 15 oz Yellow Cake Mix unprepared
- ½ cup Applesauce unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine frozen berries, SPLENDA and lemon juice together in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly until the berries are evenly coated.
- Add the cake mix powder and applesauce to the bowl. Mix thoroughly until the cake mix is thoroughly combined and no dusty bits are left in the bowl.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 pan. Bake for about 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let cool. Serve with a scoop of ice cream if desired (and of course, you desire!).
Leave a Reply