Not only is this Slow Cooker Vegetarian Taco Soup delicious, but it’s also so easy to prepare! You will spend less than 10 minutes prepping and end up with a terrific vegetarian soup that’s great for all occasions.
It’s a great way to save money by leaving out the meat and you’ll get plenty of protein from the beans.
🍽️ Why This Recipe Works
Packed with flavor – Combine all the veggies, beans, taco seasoning, and ranch seasoning together. It’s a game-changer and tastes incredible.
Make it in your slow cooker – This hands-off meal is easily made in the crock pot. With no fuss, you’ll end up with an awesome dinner.
10 minutes of prep time – You seriously get to throw it in and forget about it. Only ten minutes of prep time means you have time to work on other things instead.
The ingredients in this soup are really simple to work with. Let’s talk about some of the main ones to get you started.
Beans: Use a combination of black beans and pinto beans to give you a very hearty and delicious result. The beans go well together and add a depth of flavor of the dish.
Corn: The corn provides a subtle, sweet flavor. I love adding this to many of my Mexican dishes.
Seasonings: The secret is to use a combination of taco and ranch seasoning. They go together beautifully and create the best dish you’re ever going to try.
I am pretty sure you will be excited by how easy this is to make. There is no need to stand in the kitchen all afternoon preparing it. The only hard part is smelling the amazing soup cooking and not being able to eat it right away.
Step One: Drain the beans and give them a rinse. Do the same with the corn. Pour both into the slow cooker.
Step Two: Chop the onion and peppers then add them to the slow cooker. Add in the diced tomatoes, broth, taco seasoning, and ranch seasoning.
Step Three: Mix well and cook on high for three hours. If you have more time, cook on low for six hours.
That’s all you have to do, can you believe it? Letting it simmer and cook for hours will bring all those flavors together beautifully.
🥘 Meal Prep
Even though I didn’t make this as a freezer meal, it is definitely a freezer friendly recipe! Grab those Freezer Safe Gallon Ziploc Bags and let’s get started!
Freezer Friendly Version: Chop the vegetables and add all of the ingredients (aside from the broth) to freezer bag. Squeeze out the air, label and freeze.
When Ready to Cook: Thaw the night before in the fridge. Add the thawed ingredients to the slow cooker along with vegetable broth.
Freezer Friendly Option: Alternatively, make this soup in the slow cooker, allow it to cool completely and then put it in Freezer Safe Gallon Ziploc Bags. This is an incredible meal to have on hand for those nights when you don’t have time to cook. I have used it as a stand by meal for a friend who was sick! This is one recipe that everyone loves and goes over so well! Be confident you can give this one away and they will want it again!
📌 Expert Tips
There are a few tips about slow cooking that I have learned over the years that gave me great results. I want to share them with you so you can always have the best experience possible.
- Don’t open the lid while your food is cooking. I know how tempting it is to walk by and take a peek and give it a stir. Slow cooking works best when the lid is kept in place the entire time. This will provide you with the best experience, and your food is going to cook properly. If you remove the lid, heat will escape, and it will take longer to cook.
- Take good care of your slow cooker, so it lasts a long time. We put our slow cookers through a lot, and in order to keep them functioning the best, you need to take proper care. Keep it clean when not in use. Never set a hot slow cooker on to a cold or wet surface as it may crack. Those little things can affect how it cooks and how long it lasts.
- Don’t put too much food in your slow cooker. If you overfill it, there is a good chance your food isn’t going to cook efficiently. Instead, try not to fill it more than ⅔ full, and you won’t have to worry.
- Use food that has been thawed for the best results. If you put frozen food in fresh from the freezer, it will take a while to defrost and impact your cook times. Always thaw it in the fridge the night before, and you will be good to go.
- Consider how long you need the food to cook. If you are at work all day and need it to take longer to cook, be sure to turn it on low. However, if you’re in a hurry, you can always set it to high to speed it up.
You can sure make a few adjustments. Swap out the black and pinto beans for a tri-bean mix. They are great and add some more color too. If you don’t have canned corn or prefer frozen, make a swap there. It cooks up great either way. Consider trading the green pepper for a jalapeño if you want to add some heat to the dish. Or use fresh tomatoes instead of canned if you have them on hand.
Make adjustments to my recipes, especially soup! This taco soup is terrific just the way it is, but if you want to add in some extras, feel free to go wild.
Meat – If you don’t want the soup to always be vegetarian, add in some meat. Ground beef, ground turkey, chicken, and even pork are all fantastic options. Cook the meat before adding it into the slow cooker.
Jalapeños – Remove the seeds from one or two peppers and chop them up. Toss them into the soup and enjoy! I love a little bit of extra spice sometimes.
Fire-Roasted Tomatoes – Add some extra flavor to this vegetarian soup by adding in a can of fire-roasted tomatoes. They are so smoky and delicious.
Toppings – Don’t forget to add all of your favorite toppings. Cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream, slices of onions, avocado, pico de gallo, or anything else that sounds good to you!
After it’s cooled down all the way, put it in an airtight container. It will last 3-4 days in the fridge without any trouble.
You bet! This is a great soup to freeze. I like to use freezer safe bags and lay them flat in the freezer. Take out the day before and then reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. We use our free editable freezer labels to mark all of our bags.
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Taco Soup
- 15 oz Black Beans can, drained
- 15 oz Pinto Beans can, drained
- 15 oz Corn can, drained
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 Yellow Sweet Onion
- 28 oz Petite Diced Tomatoes can
- 32 oz Vegetable Broth
- 1½ oz Taco Seasoning packet
- 1 oz Ranch Seasoning packet
- Drain and rinse beans and corn. Pour into slow cooker.
- Chop pepper and onion. Add to slow cooker along with diced tomatoes, broth, taco seasoning and ranch seasoning. Mix well.
- Cook on high for 3 hours (or on low for 6 hours).