This slightly spicy White Bean Soup recipe is simple, hearty and ready in under an hour, making it the perfect weeknight meal.
This white bean soup is a warm hug on a chilly winter day… and man have we had more than a few of those lately! The slight spiciness of the broth, thanks to the crushed red pepper, gives it an extra kick of warmth to make each bowl even more comforting.
White Bean Soup
Now full disclosure… when I say “spicy” I mean on my own personal scale of I don’t even like medium hot salsa spicy. So if you have a penchant for heat, you may be like “girl, where?” But I promise it’s there.
Tips for Making this White Bean Soup:
- Feel free to substitute spinach for the kale.
- If you prefer an even spicier broth, add in a little more crushed red pepper. But a little does go a very long way!
- If you don’t like spiciness, you can skip the crushed red pepper altogether, but it’ll affect the overall flavor of the soup. I’ve made it both with and without, and the broth is more flavorful with the extra kick.
If you enjoy this white bean soup recipe, here are some other vegetarian dinners:
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup – Easy freezer friendly slow cooker taco soup that’s ready in just three hours.
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers – Easy dinner idea for busy weeknights. Great for taking leftovers to work!
- Puerto Rican Habichuelas Guisadas – My take on an old family recipe for Puerto Rican Beans.
- 20 Vegan Dinner Ideas – Tons of tasty vegan dinner ideas from Chow Mein to Bolognese.
White Bean Soup
- 1/2 cup Orzo uncooked
- 1/2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil divided
- 1 Sweet Onion chopped
- 1 Individual Stalk of Celery thinly sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 tsp. Dried Italian Seasoning
- 3 Cups packed, Pre-washed Kale de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 32 oz. Vegetable Broth
- 2 15 oz. Cans White Beans drained
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Juice of 1 Large Lemon Fresh Squeezed, about 4 tbsp.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Parsley chopped
- Prepare orzo to al dente in a medium sauce pan according to package directions. Drain. Pour into a separate bowl and mix in 1/2 tbsp. olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and celery. Season lightly with salt. Saute for about 7 minutes.
- Reduce to medium heat, then add 1 tbsp. olive oil, garlic, crushed red pepper, Italian seasoning, kale, and saute for additional two minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, white beans and bay leaves, season with salt and pepper. Stir. Cover. Cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add orzo to soup. Then stir in lemon juice, parsley and salt and pepper. Cook additional two minutes. Remove bay leaves before serving.