This Cheesy Roasted Air Fryer Asparagus with Parmesan Cheese is the best side dish to go with just about any main meal! Since asparagus is so versatile anyways, using it in the Air Fryer just made sense for us.
Making this dish is so fast that you really won’t even have much time to leave the kitchen. Make sure your main dish is almost ready when you pop these in, as dinner is going to be complete in a flash.
One more reason to love cooking with your air fryer is that you barely need any ingredients to make such tasty food. This healthy asparagus recipe only requires 4 ingredients! Let’s take a look:
Asparagus – The recipe is for 1/2 pound of fresh asparagus. You can always make more if you are serving more than two people, but you will need to work in batches.
Grated Parmesan Cheese – Serving asparagus has become one of my go-to side dishes. Especially when it’s cooked in the air fryer and is topped with Parmesan. I can’t get enough Parmesan cheese!
Salt & Pepper – You can add a little bit of salt and pepper depending on your taste buds. We love to add a lot of pepper, but try to cut back on salt. You can add more right before serving too.
🥄 Why Make These in Air Fryer vs Oven
There are a few reasons why this just makes sense.
- It is so much faster. The Air Fryer heats up in 3-4 minutes, where the oven can take almost twice that long.
- Cooking time in the air fryer is just a fraction of the oven. It only takes six minutes in the Air Fryer vs 15-20 minutes in the oven.
- It doesn’t heat up the entire house. Think of hot, sticky summer months when just the thought of turning on the oven makes you sweat. The Air Fryer doesn’t do that. The house will stay cool and you can cook your family favorites all summer long.
- Cleanup is much easier. My Air Fryer tray is small and easy to clean. When I roast in the oven, it always takes some elbow grease to clean the sheet pan. I don’t have to worry about that with the Air Fryer.
🥣 What is White Asparagus
White asparagus is a bit more delicate than the traditional green variety you find in the grocery store. It is sweet with just a hint of bitterness. You might taste that the green asparagus has a more “grassy” flavor to it. You won’t find that in the white asparagus.
Since white asparagus tends to be much larger, it is best to not use the bottom bit of it as it is hard and tough to eat. We often slice them at a sharp angle and combine them with green asparagus like we did here.
There are just a few quick steps to the best side dish out there!
Step One: Clean the asparagus and chop off an inch of the bottom. That is usually hard and woody, so it is easier just to remove it. If you use white asparagus (not necessary), then clean and slice them to similar thickness of the green asparagus so they cook at the same rate.
Step Two: In a bowl, spray the asparagus with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put the asparagus on an Air Fryer tray or in a basket. Leave a bit of space between them to allow the air to flow.
Step Three: Heat the Air Fryer to 390 degrees. Cook for 6 minutes.
Step Four: Remove from the Air Fryer and sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese right away. Allow it to melt all around the asparagus. If it doesn’t melt, pop back in the Air Fryer and it will melt in about one minute or less.
TIP: Do not put Parmesan Cheese on asparagus and walk away when it is in the Air Fryer. When I suggest that, I really do mean to stand right there for 20-60 seconds to allow the cheese to melt.
🍲 Meal Prep Instructions
The easiest way to meal prep this one is to clean the asparagus and trim the ends ahead of time. If you are using the white asparagus, clean and slice them so they are ready to go.
These Air Fryer recipes are so quick and easy but there are always ways to shave a minute or two to help your night go that much smoother!
🍴If you like this, check out these other Air Fryer recipes and share our addiction with this nifty tool!
Roasted Air Fryer Broccoli – This is a simple and sweet side dish that you should make every week! Simply buy your broccoli, clean it and store in the fridge for that last minute side dish. Since there are no fancy ingredients and it goes together in under 10 minutes, you can have dinner on the table in a jiffy.
Air Fryer Cornish Hen – If you haven’t tried Cornish Hens before or if they are already in your recipe binder, this is a great recipe to get you started. Simply add the herbs that you like to make this one a new family favorite
Sweet Asian Chicken Wings in the Air Fryer – This is a huge family favorite right now. I have bottles of Sweet Asian Sauce in my cupboard so I can make this one on a minute’s notice. Wings in the air fryer are so incredibly delicious that you will be licking your fingers and asking for more. I am always bummed that we didn’t make more.
Air Fryer Ravioli -I am a HUGE fan of these little guys! Oh my gosh are they addicting! You are going to love how tender they are! The homemade marinara sauce is included!
Air Fryer Broccoli – These little guys come out of the Air Fryer so fast and tender you will wonder why you cook them any other way! I love how you can leave them plain, sprinkle with parmesan like the asparagus or toss with herbs!
Air Fryer Chicken Livers – We know that these are not for everyone but if anyone does like chicken livers, you are doing to die when you realize how fast and easy they are to make in the Air Fryer. To make these with almost no added oil is fantastic!
Cheesy Roasted Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer
- 1/2 lb asparagus
- olive oil spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Trim the ends off of the asparagus and put into a bowl. If using the white asparagus, trim, slice and put into a bowl. Spray the asparagus with olive oil spray and mix with hands. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Lay out the asparagus on the Air Fryer tray or basket. Cook at 390 degrees for 6 minutes or until toasted.
- Remove the asparagus from Air Fryer and sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.
- Put back in warm Air Fryer for 20-60 seconds and allow to melt all over he asparagus. Remove and serve.