Learn how to make Baked Mozzarella Sticks with just 20 minutes and a handful of ingredients. These are the easiest egg roll wrapper cheese sticks ever.
Today I’m sharing a SUPER simple recipe for baked mozzarella sticks – this one’s got a unique twist to it since we’re using egg roll wrappers instead of breading! These are so simple to make, requires minimal clean up and is ready to go in about 20 minutes total!
🍽️ Why This Recipe Works
You only need Five Ingredients: It’s wonderful that only a few ingredients are needed. I love recipes that don’t require you to unload half of your pantry!
It’s Frugal: This a delicious appetizer that doesn’t require a lot of money.
Incredibly Easy: Only 10 minutes of prep and 12 minutes of cook time means you can be munching on these mozzarella sticks in no time.
String Cheese – For best results, use low-moisture mozzarella cheese. Cheddar cheese sticks are a fun alternative for a different flavor.
Eggroll Wrappers – They make the perfect wrap for the cheese. Plus, they get crispy too.
Olive Oil – The olive oil helps the egg roll wrappers cook to a fun crispy texture. They will brown up and tastes great too.
Step One: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly brush a baking sheet with olive oil. Lay the egg roll wrappers flat on the counter and lightly brush the entire wrapper with water.
Step Two: Lightly sprinkle garlic powder (Or seasoning of choice) over the wrapper. This is one of those times when less is more. We’ve tried this a few different ways and I like garlic powder best. My husband prefers garlic salt or salt and pepper. So really, it’s up to you! This step is just for an extra hint of flavor, so have fun with it!
Step Three: Place mozzarella diagonally across wrapper as shown in the photo above, being sure that the mozzarella lines up with two corners. Fold both corners over cheese. Hold the ends in place with one hand, and bring the wrapper over the mozzarella, tucking in slightly underneath cheese in order to roll firmly.
Step Four: Tightly roll the remaining wrapper over mozzarella. Add a dab of water to edges to moisten if necessary. This will seal the wrapper and stop it from unrolling.
Step Five: Lightly brush top with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder (or seasoning of choice). Transfer to baking sheet.
Step Six: Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, be sure to watch closely starting around the seven minute mark to make sure that the cheese hasn’t popped through. If a couple have broken through, remove them from the oven. Let them cool and serve with marinara.
📌 Expert Tips
- Make sure you properly fold these. If you don’t, they will leak the melted mozzarella cheese. Of course, they still taste great, so don’t throw them away, but they might not be the best presentation.
- Don’t skip the olive oil. That is what helps make the wrappers crispier. You can also broil them for the last 1-2 minutes if you like them a little more golden-brown. Watch them closely, though.
- Feel free to make them in your air fryer. You’ll need to cut the cooking time in half and be sure to turn them halfway through. But, you have to love this option!
Sure! Add a couple of pieces of thinly sliced pepperoni or one large piece of a cured meat to each egg roll. Ham or turkey slices would be good alternatives. You don’t want anything that won’t roll up in the egg roll wrapper well.
Yes, you can add a very thin layer of sauce inside each wrapper. Don’t go crazy though.
Each mozzarella stick only has around 46 calories. Whether it’s healthier or not is debatable. However, eating in moderation is the key to healthy eating.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- 12 pieces Mozzarella String Cheese low moisture
- 12 Egg Roll Wrappers found in the refrigerated section hear tofu or the produce section
- 1½ tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder or garlic salt to taste
- Small Bowl Of Water
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly brush a baking sheet with olive oil or use a silpat or copper baking sheet.
- Lay the egg roll wrappers flat and lightly brush the entire wrapper with water. Sprinkle the garlic powder over egg roll wrapper. Start with the "less is more" strategy.
- Place the mozzarella diagonally across wrapper, being sure that it lines up with two corners. Bring both corners over cheese. Hold the ends in place with one hand and bring the wrapper over the mozzarella, tucking it slightly underneath the cheese.
- Tightly roll the remaining egg roll wrapper over the mozzarella. Add a dab of water to the edges to seal the wrapper. Repeat until all of the mozzarella sticks are wrapped. Lightly brush tops with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder. Transfer then to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, being sure to watch closely starting around seven minute mark, to make sure that the cheese hasn't popped through. If a couple have broken through, remove from the pan. Serve with marinara.
Air Fryer, Ninja Foodi, and Instant Pot Duo Crisp DirectionsTo make these mozzarella sticks in the air fryer here are the directions. For the Ninja Foodi and the Duo Crisp use the crisping lid, not the Instant Pot lid.
- Prep the mozzarella sticks the same way.
- Spritz with a cooking oil to coat the outside.
- Air fry at 350 degrees, for 3 minutes. Then flip and cook another 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.