These 10 Minute Air Fryer Hush Puppies are so good you will want to find excuses to make them all the time. Serve them with Ketchup, Barbecue sauce, or your favorite condiment.
🍽️ Why This Works
- Easy to make – This is a simple recipe to mix from ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
- Crispy outside light and fluffy center – A little bite to get through the crunchy crust and the inside is soft and light. I could get hungry just thinking about them!
- No Oil – These will get a nice crispy texture without frying in oil, which makes it a whole lot healthier!
Most of the ingredients are seasonings, binder, and the dry ingredients for the base. You will love the combination of flavors. I want to talk with you about a few of the main ingredients:
Yellow Corn Meal – The most important ingredient in this hush puppy recipe is the yellow cornmeal. It gives you the traditional texture and flavor.
Egg – The egg is used to bind the other ingredients together. If you don’t use something to bind them, then they will fall apart. You just need one egg, and you will be good to go.
Cream of Corn – Using cream corn gives your hush puppies the best flavor ever. It’s naturally sweet, and the creamy texture is perfect.
Step One: Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Make sure it’s well blended.
Step Two: Put the egg, milk, onion and cream corn and whisk until combined.
Step Three: Use parchment paper to line a baking sheet.
Step Four: Put one cup of cornmeal in a shallow bowl. Form the batter into small balls by rolling it between your palms, and then roll them in the cornmeal. Place each hush puppy on the baking sheet.
Put the pan of hush puppies into the freezer for a few minutes to harden slightly.
Step Five: After freezing, remove them and put them into the air fryer basket. Give them a light spray with non-stick spray and cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes..
At the halfway point, turn them over and spray again. If needed, add an additional few minutes until they are golden brown and the middles are cooked all the way through.
Step Six: Sprinkle the warm hush puppies with minced parsley. Serve with ketchup and enjoy!
🍲 Meal Prep Instructions
Hooray! You can make these tasty snacks ahead of time. They are so fast and easy to make, but it’s still nice to keep them on hand when you need them.
Sometimes make them a day or so ahead of time so that we can reheat them and serve them later. It’s perfect for those nights when you don’t even want to think about cooking.
They will last in the refrigerator for up to four days. To reheat them, simply put them back in the air fryer at 350 degrees and warm them for a few minutes.
It doesn’t take long to heat them and sticking them back in the air fryer will keep them crispy.
If you decide to microwave them, they are much more likely to be soggy or mushy. It’s just not going to give you the results you want.
⏲️ Cooking Time
They should only take about ten minutes to turn a lovely golden brown. If they are fully frozen, it might take a minute or two more.
They key is to look for the golden brown coloring and you will almost be guaranteed that the inside is fully cooked and is light and fluffy!
We found that not all Air Fryers cook at exactly the same rate. Mine took 10 minutes, but check on yours at the seven minute mark to see how they are doing.
🧊 Freezer Friendly Instructions
If there weren’t already enough reasons to be in love with this recipe, you can even freeze them after they are cooked.
When freezing, use the flash freezing method. After cooking, lay them on a baking sheet and freeze them. When they are completely frozen, add them to a freezer safe Ziploc bag.
When you are ready to serve, take them out of the freezer and reheat in your air fryer or oven. It’s that easy, and you don’t even have to take the time to defrost them.
Just pop them in and warm them until they are hot and crispy. They will last three months in the freezer, so they are ideal for meal prepping and planning.
💡 Expert Tips
Making mouthwatering food is so easy when you use your air fryer. It’s an incredible kitchen gadget that gives you amazing dishes. The best part is that in most cases, the food is healthier than being cooked in a bunch of oil.
Granted, it’s not always healthier, but often that is the case. I wanted to give you some tips for this fantastic contraption so you can make the most of it and have the best experiences possible.
- Check each recipe to see if you need to preheat the air fryer or not. Every recipe is different, and you will find many of them require you to preheat.
- Don’t put too much food in your air fryer at once. If you are making a large recipe, work in batches. If you put too much food in there at once, the air can’t circulate properly to cook. This will cause uneven cooking, and your food may not turn out as well.
- Add a slice of bread to the bottom of the air fryer to help catch oil. If you have run into the problem of smoke coming from fat dripping in your air fryer, then you know what a pain this can be. I know it sounds strange, but add a piece of bread to catch the drippings. It really helps make a difference.
If you eat a gluten-free diet or dairy-free, make a couple of swaps to adjust this hush puppy recipe.
Use gluten-free cornmeal and gluten-free flour. If you use gluten-free flour, make sure it has xanthan gum in it, or you will need to add some.
Swap out regular milk for almond milk, oat milk, cashew milk, or any other non-dairy milk that you like.
Make whatever adjustments that work for you and your family, and it should turn out great.
As with most of my dishes, you can easily add in your favorite ingredients. Don’t you just love that option? Here are a few of the ideas we love, and I think you might enjoy it as well.
- Green onions – I like to add green onions to many recipes because they are delicious. Chop up some green onions and add one or two tablespoons to the mixture. It adds some lovely colors too.
- Sugar – If you prefer your hush puppies to have some sweetness, add ¼ – ½ cup of sugar to the batter. Go less if you want a subtle sweetness or more if you want it to be super sweet.
- Minced garlic – Add a teaspoon or two of minced garlic.
- Jalapeños – If you like some heat in your food, then chop up a pepper and toss it in. It looks great and adds some spice!
- Cheese – Add ¼ cup of shredded cheese to the batter. You don’t need a lot, but that little bit of cheese adds great flavor. Use cheddar, mozzarella, or even parmesan. There is no wrong answer!
👩🍳 Recipe FAQs
The term “Hush puppies” dates back to hunters and fisherman who would whip up a cornmeal dish and feed to their dogs to “hush the puppy” from whining. I am not sure if this is true or not, but it makes sense.
Hush puppies vary in flavor. They are similar to a light corn bread, but are fluffier. Eat them savory or sweet.
You might be thinking fried or air fried fish, chicken, or even a battered shrimp. I tend to do seafood with hush puppies. But they taste just as good as a snack or even paired with pork, chicken, or beef.
Unfortunately, stacking is something that is not recommended when you use an air fryer. You will find it does not cook evenly if the hot air can’t circulate fully around each piece of food in the air fryer.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Super Easy Air Fryer Hush Puppies
- 1 cup Yellow Corn Meal
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Garlic Salt
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp Minced Onion
- 1 can Cream of Corn
- ¼ cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- Spray Oil
Make The Batter
- In a medium bowl, mix the Corn meal, flour, baking powder, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, until well blended.
- Add the egg, milk, minced onion and creamed corn. Mix together thoroughly.
- Line a cookie sheet with Parchment paper.
- Place a cup of corn meal in a shallow bowl, and form the batter into small, one inch balls by rolling it between your palms. Roll it in the corn meal and then place it on the baking sheet.
- Place hush puppies in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the freezer. Place them in the Air Fryer basket spaced evenly to allow the air to flow.
- Lightly spray the hush puppies with the spray oil. Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Check the hush puppies half way through. Turn them and spray again with spray oil.
- They are done when they are golden brown on the outside. They may need an extra minute or so, depending on your air fryer. Sprinkle with finely minced parsley, serve with Ketchup, and Enjoy!