These Air Fryer Hush Puppies are so good. You can serve them with Ketchup, Barbecue sauce, or your favorite condiment. They make a great snack or addition to any meal. Serve them as an appetizer, or even after dinner, sprinkled with powdered sugar for a fun dessert! No matter when you decide to put these on the table, they’re sure to be a favorite.
First Step: Mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Make sure it’s well blended.
Second Step: Put the egg and milk in another bowl and whisk until combined. Add in the onion and cream corn to the egg mixture.
Third Step: Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir.
Fourth Step: Use parchment paper to line a baking sheet.
Fifth Step: Put one cup of cornmeal in a shallow bowl. Roll the hush puppy batter, so they are small balls, then roll them into the cornmeal. Place each hush puppy on the baking sheet. Put the pan of hush puppies into the freezer for a few minutes to harden slightly.
Sixth Step: After freezing, the hush puppies remove them and put them into the air fryer basket. Give them a light spray with non-stick spray and turn on the temperature to 400 degrees. Cook for 10 minutes, making sure to check them halfway through. At the halfway point, turn them over and spray again. If needed, add an additional 3 minutes or until they are golden brown and the middles are cooked all the way through.
Seventh Step: Sprinkle the warm hush puppies with minced parsley. Serve with ketchup and enjoy!
🍲 Meal Prep Instructions
Hooray! You can make these tasty hush puppies ahead of time. They are so fast and easy to make, but it’s still nice to keep them on hand when you need them. Sometimes we like to make them a day or so ahead of time so that we can reheat them and serve later. It’s perfect for those nights when you don’t even want to think about cooking.
The homemade hushpuppies will last in the refrigerator for up to four days. To reheat them, simply put them back in the air fryer at 350 degrees and warm them for a few minutes. It doesn’t take long to heat them and sticking them back in the air fryer will keep them crispy.
If you decide to microwave them, they are much more likely to be soggy or mushy. This can be done, but it’s not going to give you as delicious of a snack or side dish.
⏲️ Cooking Time
Homemade Hush Puppies should only take about ten minutes to turn a lovely golden brown and be fully cooked. If they are fully frozen, it might take a minute or two more. They key is to look for the golden brown coloring and you will almost be guaranteed that the inside is fully cooked and is light and fluffy!
As always, check YOUR AIR FRYER for the best results. We have found that not all Air Fryers heat up exactly the same so mine took 10 minutes, check on yours at 7 minutes to see how they are doing. Alternatively, yours may take 12 minutes to completely cook. All of this is fine, just know your own Air Fryer.
🧊 Freezer Friendly Instructions
If there weren’t already enough reasons to be in love with this air fryer hush puppy recipe, you can even freeze them. When freezing the hush puppies, do the flash freezing method first. This will keep them from sticking together, and it will be easier to grab just what you want if you are needing the entire batch at once.
When you are ready to serve them, take them out of the freezer and reheat in your air fryer or oven. It’s that easy, and you don’t even have to take the time to defrost them. Just pop them in and warm them until they are hot and crispy. They will last 3 months in the freezer, so they are ideal for meal prepping and planning.
💡Air Fryer Cooking Tips & Information
Making mouthwatering food is so easy when you use your air fryer. It’s an incredible kitchen gadget that gives you amazing dishes. The best part is that in most cases, the food is healthier than being cooked in a bunch of oil. Granted, it’s not always healthier, but often that is the case. I wanted to give you some tips for this fantastic contraption so you can make the most of it and have the best experiences possible.
- Adding some grease or oil to the air fryer basket will help prevent sticking. If you have trouble with food sticking to the basket or tray, give it a quick spray of non-stick spray before adding food. This will help a lot! It’s easiest to keep a spray bottle filled with olive oil handy.
- Check each recipe to see if you need to preheat the air fryer or not. Every recipe is different, and you will find many of them require you to preheat. This air fryer hush puppies recipe doesn’t need to be preheated, and they turn out perfectly.
- Don’t put too much food in your air fryer at once. If you are making a large recipe, work in batches as needed. If you put too much food in there, the air can’t circulate properly around it to cook it. This can cause uneven cooking, and your food may not turn out as well.
- Adding a slice of bread to the bottom of the air fryer helps catch oil and prevents smoke. If you have run into the problem of smoke coming from fat dripping in your air fryer, then you know what a pain this can be. I know it sounds strange, but add a piece of bread to catch the drippings. It really helps make a difference.
If you eat a gluten-free diet or dairy-free, you can easily make a couple of swaps to adjust this hush puppy recipe.
Use gluten-free cornmeal and gluten-free flour too. If you use gluten-free flour, make sure it has xanthan gum in it, or you will need to add some.
For the milk, you can swap out regular milk for almond milk, oat milk, cashew milk, or any other non-dairy milk that you like.
Make whatever adjustments that work for you and your family, and it should turn out great.
As with most of my dishes, you can easily add in your favorite ingredients. Don’t you just love that option? Here are a few of the ideas we love, and I think you might enjoy it as well.
- Green onions – I like to add green onions to many recipes because they are delicious. Chop up some green onions and add one or two tablespoons to the mixture. It adds some lovely colors too.
- Sugar – If you prefer your hush puppies to have some sweetness, add ¼ – ½ cup of sugar to the batter. Go less if you want a subtle sweetness or more if you want it to be super sweet.
- Minced garlic – Add a teaspoon or two of minced garlic. Garlic is a flavor that just makes sense with hush puppies.
- Jalapenos – If you like some heat in your food, then chop up a pepper and toss it in. It looks great and adds some spice!
- Cheese – Add ¼ cup of shredded cheese to the batter. You don’t need a lot, but that little bit of cheese adds great flavor. Use cheddar, mozzarella, or even parmesan. There is no wrong answer when it comes to cheese!
🥘If you love these, be sure to check out some more drool-worthy air fryer recipes:
- Air Fryer Roasted Broccoli – This broccoli is fantastic and goes with all your other main dishes. It’s easy and tastes amazing.
- Air Fryer Chicken Livers – This is a fun treat and healthier than frying it in oil
- Air Fryer Cornish Hen – Need a 30 minute meal? Give this Cornish Hen a shot!
- Air Fryer Sweet Asian Chili Chicken Wings – You guys really need to try these wings. They are one of the best wings recipes ever, and you will be licking your fingers (and maybe even your plates!)
- Cheesy Roasted Air Fryer Asparagus – It’s hard to get much better than cheesy asparagus. But making it in the air fryer takes it to the next level.
- Air Fryer Ravioli – Holy cow, this air fryer ravioli is incredible. Plus, I share my homemade marinara sauce recipe with you too.
Super Easy Air Fryer Hush Puppies
- Air Fryer
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 1 can cream of corn
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- spray oil
- In a medium bowl, mix the Corn meal, flour, baking powder, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, and milk until mixed.
- Stir in the minced onion, and cream style corn. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix together.
- Line a cookie sheet with Parchment paper. Place about a cup of corn meal in a shallow bowl, and roll the hush puppies into small balls, then roll in the corn meal, and place on the Parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Place hush puppies in the freezer for a few minutes. Remove from freezer, and place in the Air Fryer basket.
- Spray the hush puppies with the spray oil, set the temperature to 400 degrees, and set the time to 10 minutes.
- Check the hush puppies half way through cooking. Turn them and spray again with spray oil. Finish cooking the hush puppies.
- Since Air Fryers differ in cooking, make sure the hush puppies are cooked golden brown out side and are done in the middle. This may require additional time. Add three minutes, and cook a bit longer if they are not done. Continue until hush puppies are completely done in the center. Sprinkle with finely minced parsley, serve with Ketchup, and Enjoy!