Crackling fires, hot chocolate, fuzzy socks, movies, books, and thick blankets! It’s January and can I just admit I love winter just a little bit? Who’s with me here? I know it’s cold and the holidays are over but there is something magical that comes with January. The peacefulness, the stillness in the air, the lack of crazy schedules all leave me feeling a love of January! Are you sold yet?And why not add some Hershey’s white chocolate pieces to the top?
I’m thinking of hosting a hot chocolate bar/afternoon with friends at the end of the month and wanted to offer a hot cocoa that was a little bit more special than the “rip open the envelope of powder and stir” variety! Have you been on Pinterest and seen the adorable hot cocoa bars that people have put together? Well, that is what I’m going for and this hot cocoa will be the star!
Not everyone has a love of January like I do and I totally get that and I think a special get together will get everyone out of their January funk! So, when you look at this recipe and gulp because of the *potential* caloric intake, remember that this is for friends! At least, that is how I am justifying it to myself! We all need a special chocolatey treat every now and then!
Let’s Make Cookies and Cream Hot Chocolate
This recipe is so easy! Make it for a special occasion like a hot cocoa bar social or just for a snowy Saturday afternoon. It is easy peasy!
Start off by heating up the sugar, cocoa, salt, and milk together in a pan and heat it up. Mix together and stir and until the milk comes to a gentle boil. Take it off of the stove and add the remaining ingredients and serve immediately.
Top it off with marshmallows, whipped cream or fudge sauce! Don’t forget the crushed up cookies! We used Oreo’s but you can use store brand as well! You can choose to dip your sandwich cookies too if you don’t want the crushed variety!Oreo Crumbles on the Marshmallows and drizzled with chocolate syrup
This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. But, seriously, this is so darned delicious that I bet it won’t last 5 minutes, let alone 5 days!
Don’t store with the topping on! You probably know that but I thought I better put that there just in case!
Variations to Cookies and Cream Hot Cocoa
- Think out of the box here and how about adding instant coffee to this! Those granules would be perfect here and it will turn this into a scrumptious Cookies and Cream Mocha!
- If you are looking for a grown-up version, add some Peppermint Schnapps. Add a tablespoon or ***three*** and give this hot cocoa a real kick! Throw in a peppermint candy as a garnish or top with whipped cream and sprinkle with peppermint crumbs.
- Add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the liquid during preparation to make Cinnamon Cookies and Cream Hot Cocoa.
- If you have sensitivities to dairy, replace the milk with almond milk. Don’t be afraid to experiment here.
Cookies and Cream Hot Chocolate
- 1/2 c sugar, white granulated
- 6 tbs Dutch processed cocoa powder
- pinch salt
- 4 c whole milk
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 8 Oreo cookies crushed
Garnish with marshmallows, chocolate syrup, crushed oreos, whipped cream
- Dutch processed cocoa powder will work best for this recipe.
- Over medium high heat, in a medium pot, combine sugar, cocoa powder, salt and milk. Keep stirring and bring milk mixture to a gentle boil. Once the milk begins to boil, mix remaining ingredient and serve.
- Crush the cookies in a food processor for best results.
- Garnish with toppings of choice.
- Garnish with extra toppings.