Updated November, 2019. There are many reasons to love homemade tortilla chips. I seriously can’t get enough of them and prefer the flavor much more than the ones you can buy at the market. Granted, there are times when the convenience of buying a bag of chips comes in handy. But when you bite into these crispy, delicious baked tortilla chips, it’s hard to look back.
Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just want something amazing for Taco Tuesday, these corn tortilla chips are a must-try. Especially, when you dip them into my drool-worthy slow cooker Mexican dip or homemade blender guacamole. Trust me; you’ll thank yourself later!
Since these are baked tortilla chips it cuts down on the calories. They weigh in at only 211 calories per serving. I can make these in under 20 minutes – and 16 of those minutes are time spent in the oven. So really only 4 minutes of hands-on work.
How To Make Tortilla Chips
You are going to be munching on your own baked corn tortilla chips in no time, and they are going to blow your mind. They are so good it’s almost hard to control yourself. 😃
Step One: Begin by quartering the tortillas.
Step Two: Toss the tortilla chips in olive oil, making sure they are coated lightly and evenly.
Step Four: Put the sheet pan with tortilla chips in the oven and bake for eight minutes, then flip and bake for eight more minutes.
Step Five: After you remove the homemade tortilla chips from the oven, add a dash of salt and serve.
Ok, I like these just plain. They are versatile, and I am not stuck with any flavorings, but I do have a weakness for adding a bit of Lime sometimes. Squeeze lime juice into a mister and spray the tortillas before you put them in the oven.
For seasoning, combine cumin, chili powder and sea salt in a small bowl and sprinkle over the tortilla slices before adding it to the oven. This will stick to the olive oil and give you a great flavor when they are baked.
I have sprinkled these with a pinch of old bay seasoning and really enjoyed it too. This works great if you are going to snack on a bowl of the chips without any other add-ins.
How Do You Cut Tortillas?
There are several ways to cut tortillas. You could use a large knife, but my favorite way is to use a pizza cutter. I love this cooking hack. Quickly slice right through the shells. Another option is to use kitchen shears. Really, just do whichever way you prefer, and you’ll be good!
Are Tortilla Chips Gluten-Free?
Most tortilla chips are gluten-free if they are made with corn. This baked tortilla chips calls for corn, and they are indeed gluten-free.
Can I Use Flour Tortilla Shells?
You betcha! Flour tortillas work great for homemade tortilla chips if you prefer. I know a lot of people that prefer the flavor of flour, so if you are one of those people, then give it a try. The instructions above remain the same.
You’ll need to find gluten-free flour tortillas if you are sensitive to gluten.
What to Serve With This Recipe?
Eat these corn tortilla chips pretty much any way you like, but I wanted to point out a few of our favorites.
- Nachos – Load these baked tortilla chips with chicken, hamburger, or pork, some cheese, salsa, beans, cilantro, black olives, jalapenos, tomatoes, and your other favorite nacho toppings. You’re going to fall in love, so prepare yourself.
- Salsa – Eat these chips with some salsa, like my black bean and corn salsa or fresh homemade salsa. It’s hard to stop after you start eating them, just a warning.
- Cinnamon Sugar – This is best if you are using flour shells. If you’re looking for a delicious dessert, sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon and sugar on the tortilla chips as they come out of the oven. Give them a little tap to knock off any extra. Yum!
- Soup – Use these chips to dip in some soup to add some crunch and extra flavor.
- Guacamole – I love eating homemade blender guacamole with these chips. It’s one of my go-to afternoon snacks!
- Chocolate – If you opt to use flour shells instead of corn, I highly recommend drizzling some melted chocolate on them. It’s so tasty and makes the perfect dessert.
How Long Do Homemade Tortilla Chips Last?
Store homemade tortilla chips for up to a week. They should be kept in an airtight container with a tight-fitting lid or bag with a clip. If you want them warm when you are ready to eat, toss the corn tortilla chips into the oven at 375 degrees for five minutes or so until they are hot and crispy. This will give them a new life and taste as good as they did when you initially baked them.
How Do You Know If Baked Tortilla Chips Aren’t Good?
There will be a few signs that the homemade chips have started to go bad. First of all, if they seem like they aren’t quite as crisp as they were initially. That’s a pretty good indicator that something isn’t right. They may also have mold developing, so you for sure want to throw them out then. Another thing to watch for is if the chips seem extremely dry. If there is ever a question, you shouldn’t risk it and toss them to be safe. It takes just a few minutes to whip up another batch.
And since I know you’re probably wondering, here’s the cost breakdown.
- Tortillas: $0.54
- Olive oil: $0.17
- Salt: Negligible
Total Cost for Recipe: $0.71
Total Cost per Serving: $0.24
Homemade Tortilla Chips
- 9 corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Kosher salt or to taste
- Stack and cut tortillas into quarters.
- Transfer into a bowl and toss with olive oil until evenly coated.
- Place in an even layer on two foiled cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Flip each one over and bake an additional 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with salt and let cool before serving.