I love how easy these Homemade Baked Corn Tortilla Chips are to make. You can’t beat the price either!
There are many reasons to love homemade chips. I seriously can’t get enough of them and prefer the flavor much more than the ones you can buy at the market. Granted, there are times when the convenience of buying a bag of chips comes in handy. But when you bite into these, it’s hard to look back.
Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just want something amazing for Taco Tuesday, these are a must-try. Especially, when you dip them into my drool-worthy slow cooker Mexican dip or homemade blender guacamole. Trust me; you’ll thank yourself later!
Since these are baked, it cuts down on the calories. They weigh in at only 211 calories per serving. I can make these in under 20 minutes – and 16 of those minutes are time spent in the oven. So really only four minutes of hands-on work.
🍽️ Why This Recipe Works
Fast: You can throw these together in just 20 minutes!
Easy: Because there are only three ingredients and four minutes of prep, you don’t have to worry about putting in a ton of time or effort.
Delicious: These chips taste awesome! You won’t miss the bagged chips after you try them.
You seriously only need just three ingredients to make these! Can you believe it? Let’s talk about them before you get started:
Corn Tortillas: We almost always use corn tortillas. They hold up better when you try to fill them up with your favorite salsa. You could try flour as well, but they will break apart a lot easier.
Olive Oil: The olive oil will ensure that the chips are crispy, and you get a tasty crunch with every bite. You just need a tablespoon.
Kosher Salt: The salt is mostly to taste. If you prefer yours to be extra salty, then add more. And of course, if you aren’t a big fan of salt, you can cut back.
You are going to be munching on your own baked chips in no time, and they are going to blow your mind. They are so good it’s almost hard to control yourself. 😃
Step One: Begin by cutting the tortillas into quarters.
Step Two: Toss the tortilla slices in olive oil, making sure they are coated lightly and evenly.
Step Three: Place them on a sheet pan, so they are an even layer. Make sure there are two pieces of aluminum foil or parchment paper covering the baking sheet.
Step Four: Put the sheet pan in the oven and bake for eight minutes, then flip and bake for eight more minutes.
Step Five: After you remove them from the oven, add a dash of salt and serve.
🧂 Optional Flavorings
Ok, I like these just plain. They are versatile, and I am not stuck with any flavorings, but I do have a weakness for adding a bit of Lime sometimes. Squeeze lime juice into a mister and spray them before you put them in the oven.
My other go-to seasoning, combine cumin, chili powder and sea salt in a small bowl and sprinkle over the tortilla slices before adding it to the oven. This will stick to the olive oil and give you a great flavor.
I have sprinkled these with a pinch of old bay seasoning and really enjoyed it too. This works great if you are going to snack on a bowl of the chips without any other add-ins.
💡 Expert Tips
Cutting: There are several ways to cut tortillas. You could use a large knife, but my favorite way is to use a pizza cutter. I love this cooking hack. Quickly slice right through the shells. Another option is to use kitchen shears. Really, just do whichever way you prefer, and you’ll be good!
Gluten: Most tortilla chips are gluten-free if they are made with corn. You’ll need to find gluten-free flour tortillas if you are sensitive.
Storing: Store these chips for up to a week. They should be kept in an airtight container with a tight-fitting lid or bag with a clip. If you want them warm when you are ready to eat, toss them into the oven at 375 degrees for five minutes or so until they are hot and crispy. This will give them a new life and taste as good as they did when you initially baked them.
There will be a few signs that the chips have started to go bad. First of all, they may seem like they aren’t quite as crisp as they were initially. That’s a pretty good indicator that something isn’t right. If there is ever a question, you shouldn’t risk it and throw them out just to be safe. It takes just a few minutes to whip up another batch.
And since I know you’re probably wondering, here’s the cost breakdown.
💰 Cost Breakdown
- Tortillas: $0.54
- Olive oil: $0.17
- Salt: Negligible
Total Cost for Recipe: $0.71
Total Cost per Serving: $0.24
Eat these corn tortilla chips pretty much any way you like, but I wanted to point out a few of our favorites.
- Nachos – Load these up with chicken, hamburger, or pork, some cheese, salsa, beans, cilantro, black olives, jalapeños, tomatoes, and your other favorite nacho toppings. You’re going to fall in love, so prepare yourself.
- Salsa – Eat them with some salsa, like my black bean and corn salsa or fresh homemade salsa. It’s hard to stop after you start eating them, just a warning.
- Cinnamon Sugar – This is best if you are using flour shells. If you’re looking for a delicious dessert, sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon and sugar on the chips as they come out of the oven. Give them a little tap to knock off any extra. Yum!
- Soup – Use these chips to dip in some soup to add some crunch and extra flavor.
- Guacamole – I love eating homemade blender guacamole with these. It’s one of my go-to afternoon snacks!
- Chocolate – If you opt to use flour shells instead of corn, I highly recommend drizzling some melted chocolate on them. It’s so tasty and makes the perfect dessert.
👩🍳 Recipe FAQs
If they are chewy it’s either because the oven temperature is too low or you didn’t cook them long enough. They should be crispy and delicious instead of chewy.
Yes, technically you can use flour tortillas if you want to. I find that they don’t crisp up as well as the corn, but you may have better luck.
Keep the chips in a Ziploc bag and try to remove as much air as you can. They will last a day or two. They do tend to taste better when they are cooked fresh, but can still be eaten for a couple of days.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Homemade Tortilla Chips
- 9 Corn Tortillas
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt or to taste
- Stack and cut tortillas into quarters.
- Transfer into a bowl and toss with olive oil until evenly coated.
- Place in an even layer on two foiled cookie sheets.
- Bake for eight minutes. Flip each one over and bake an additional eight minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with salt and let cool before serving.
Air Fryer, Ninja Foodi, and Instant Pot Duo Crisp DirectionsIf you want to make these chips in your air fryer basket or oven, Ninja Foodi using crisping lid, or Duo Crisp using the crisp lid follow these directions.
- Prep the chips as directed above.
- Turn air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Air Fry for 4-6 minutes or until chips is crispy and ready to serve.