This is the most amazing Instant Pot Spanish Rice and it is going to knock your socks off! Invite friends over because this is going to feed a crowd! If you have ever made spanish rice before, I challenge you to stop right now and try this one out! I am normally a “less is more” type of gal for recipes but this is one that I have to say needs the ingredients to make the magic happen! It’s still pretty much a “dump and go” recipe so don’t be deterred!
This recipe comes from a friend’s recipe and has been adapted to the Instant Pot. It has been around for decades with a new, Instant Pot twist and I love the history of it.
It’s a little sweet and tangy with a robust herb taste. You’ll love basil/oregano and Italian seasoning. It is full of those flavors in each bite. YUM! Try to think that this is NOT like a Mexican Spanish Rice. Look at the herbs used here so you are going to get those Italian flavors more so and it is DELISH!
Also, this is a huge hit with kiddos! The ketchup makes it sweet while the basil/oregano makes it Italian…a great mix for kids. You can cut back on the ketchup if you want to ensure this is a little less sweet. The flavor meld together great overnight but when you first make it, the sweetness is there!
If you aren’t drooling by the time you learn about this recipe, I will be surprised. It’s filled with amazing ingredients, and I can’t wait to share some information about the main ingredients.
Chuck Ground: There is nothing better than adding some ground chuck to this Spanish rice recipe. The beef makes it even heartier and more satisfying than without. If you want to cut back on meat or save some money, you can always skip it, but we almost always add it in.
Vegetables: The veggies consist of sweet onions, green peppers, and stewed tomatoes in this Spanish rice. It’s a fabulous combination, and you can add in extra ingredients if you want as well.
Seasonings: We love using chili powder, Italian seasoning, oregano, basil, brown sugar, garlic salt, salt, and pepper. You can’t go wrong with these flavors together, and they make the perfect rice.
Again, I promise this is an easy recipe to pull together and using your Instant Pot is going to make it even easier.
Step One: Turn on the SAUTE setting on your INSTANT POT, and melt the butter. Once it is heated up, place the chopped onions and green peppers in and saute until caramelized. This will take few minutes. Patience is the key so this is a great time to clean out the fridge or unload the dishwasher while you are waiting.
Step Two: Once the onions and peppers are caramelized, remove them and toss in the ground chuck to brown. Make sure it is fully cooked and then turn off the SAUTE setting. Again, this takes a few minutes so do another kitchen chore for a few while you are waiting.
Step Three: Remove any fat from the beef mixture by using a fine colander over the sink.
Step Four: Place the drained beef back into the Instant Pot with your caramelized onions and peppers and add spices. Add the liquid from the stewed tomatoes can (keep the tomatoes in the can for a minute!) Using a large knife or kitchen shears, cut up the stewed tomatoes into small pieces and add them to the Instant Pot.
Step Five: Add the Ketchup, tomato paste, water, tomato sauce, chili powder, Italian seasoning, oregano, basil, and brown sugar, and stir well to combine. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, until it beeps and locks.
Step Six: Close the pressure relief valve and place on MANUAL setting for 10 minutes.
Step Seven: While the meat and tomato mixture is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil on the stove and cook the Success Rice for 10 minutes. You can make rice in the Instant Pot earlier, if you like as well. When rice is done, drain well.
Step Eight: When the Instant Pot is done, it will beep; watch the time, and after 5 minutes, do a QUICK RELEASE. When all the pressure has been released, and the float valve is down, open the lid. Stir the mix, and then add the rice. Stir to combine. Don’t overstir or it will become too thick and mushy.
🍲 How to Meal Prep
This recipe has so many ways to prepare. I love this part as meal prep is my jam!!!
- Pre cook rice and place in a container until it is needed.
- Chop onions and peppers ahead of time and put them in a container in the fridge.
- Brown the hamburger the day before.
- Measure all the spices put in a sealed container until ready to use.
These preparation steps will turn this into true a DUMP AND GO meal. It will take you less than 15 minutes on a Sunday to prep it for the week. The added benefit is this makes so much that you can easily save the leftovers for lunches for the week!
If you don’t know how to use your Instant Pot-check out the Instant Pot Manual page here to verify anything that may be slightly different on your model!
🍴 Meal Prep Lunches
This is a great recipe to meal prep for lunches for the week. Since it makes so much, you should easily stretch it for you and your spouse to each have lunches for four days. Using the Meal Prep Containers we love here, you can make this and prep your week’s lunches in just a few minutes. It beats the $12 charge I just saw on my credit card when I “ran out of time” last week to make one of my husband’s lunches. Trust me, I quickly found meals to get me (and my budget) back on track.
🍽️ How to Freeze for Best Results
Spanish Rice is a freezer friendly meal and you will want to take advantage of it as leftovers or to prep 100% and freeze for a later time.
- Prepare the Spanish Rice as directed and allow it to cool.
- Place Spanish Rice in freezer safe ziploc bags and seal. Lay flat in the freezer.
Add the Free Freezer Labels available here to mark the freezer bag and keep track of all of your meals.
TIP: If at the end, the mixture is a bit soupy, you may have too much moisture. If you allow the rice to set for about ten minutes, the rice mixture will start to soak it up!
🥘 If you like this Instant Pot recipe, make sure to check out the others here as we are on a journey to help you fall in love with your Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup – This soup is a very easy meal to make in the Instant Pot. It uses one large butternut squash and a few spices and seasonings to turn this into a mouth-watering soup.
Instant Pot Eggnog – This is such a delicious and satisfying treat for the holidays. You have to love drinks that are made ahead of time so you can allow your guests to serve up themselves.
Instant Pot Tomato Florentine Soup – This is a “don’t keep scrolling” recipe. This is STOP, PRINT and MAKE! Talk about making you feel warm and cozy all in a bowl. Don’t skip out on the grilled cheese croutons though!
Instant Pot Spanish Rice
- 2 lbs Chuck ground
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 large Sweet Onion chopped
- 1 Green Pepper diced
- 2 cans Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 cup Heinz Ketchup
- 1 can Tomato Paste 6oz
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Oregano dried
- ½ tsp Basil dried
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- Coarse Ground Garlic Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 packages Success Rice
- Chop the onion and green pepper.
- Turn on the SAUTÉ setting on your INSTANT POT, and melt the butter.
- When butter is melted, add the onion and green pepper, and sauté until it is golden brown, or caramelized.
- Remove the sautéed onion and pepper and set aside.
- Place the ground chuck in the INSTANT POT and cook the meat until it's browned well, and no pink is visible.
- Turn off the SAUTÉ setting.
- Drain the ground beef using a colander.
- Clean the fat from the Instant Pot with additional paper towels.
- Place the ground chuck back in the Instant Pot, along with the sauteed onion and peppers, and sprinkle with the garlic salt, seasoned salt, and seasoned pepper, and stir.
- Open the cans of Stewed Tomatoes, and pour the liquid in the Instant Pot, leaving the tomatoes in the cans.
- Take a large sharp knife, and slice the tomatoes right in the can into bite size pieces, and pour them in.
- Add the Ketchup, tomato paste, water, tomato sauce, chili powder, Italian seasoning, oregano, basil, and brown sugar, and stir well to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, until it beeps and locks.
- Press the manual setting, and set the time for 10 minutes
- While the meat mixture is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil (on the stove), and cook the Success Rice for 10 minutes.
- When the Rice is done, drain well, and set aside.
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking, it will beep; watch the time, and after five minutes, do a quick release. When all the pressure has been released, and the float valve is down, open the lid.
- Stir the meat and tomatoes, and then add the rice.
- Stir the rice into the meat, just until it is mixed – do not continue to stir, or it will thicken the Spanish rice.
- Serve the Spanish Rice with toasted garlic bread, tortilla chips, side salad or green beans – or your favorite side dish. Enjoy!