Who has an Instant Pot and is looking for a super simple and delicious recipe to add to your rotation? This Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup will get your machine OUT OF THE BOX! Yes, I’m talking to you! LOL!!!
I say that because I have several friends who either bought an Instant Pot or received one for a gift but have never even taken it out of the box! I have one friend who had it for a year, still sealed up and then sold it to another friend. True story.
OPEN THE BOX! Just do that and then start with just one recipe. That’s what we did. If you want to know the truth, we started using it just to make hard boiled eggs and pressure cooker rice for weeks. That’s all we did. Just eggs and rice. So I am just as guilty. Once I started using the Instant Pot though, I was addicted and really wanted to get the most out of it. I have made chickens, ribs, soups, stews and more. If it dies, I’ll be getting a new one.
This is a simple and easy recipe to try with your Instant Pot. There are just a couple of ingredients, and lets you use a couple of different functions of your new pressure cooker. This is broken down into FIVE easy steps! It’s manageable for anyone who wants to get started with their pressure cooker.
STEP ONE: Start out by getting a large butternut squash. Cut the squash into quarters. Place one cup of water in the bottom of the Instant Pot and then place the trivet on top of the water. The trivet is a removable piece that has little handles that can fold down flat. Place the quartered butternut squash on it and secure the lid and close the pressure relief valve. Press MANUAL setting for seven minutes. Allow to NATURAL RELEASE.
STEP TWO: Carefully remove the squash and trivet. Empty the water out.
STEP THREE: Place the oil in the Instant Pot and push SAUTE. Once the oil is hot, add chopped onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for one minute.
STEP FOUR: Turn off the SAUTE setting, add the remaining ingredients and stir to mix well. Cover and secure lid.
STEP 5: Push STEW/SOUP setting for ten minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
Serves 6-8 cups depending on the size of the squash.
If you don’t know how to use your Instant Pot-check out the Instant Pot Manual page here to verify anything that may be slightly different on your model!
🍲 How to Freeze
This is a Freezer Friendly Meal which makes many of us very happy, I know.
- Prepare the soup according to directions and allow it to cool completely.
- Once cooled, place in quart sized freezer safe ziploc bags and seal.
- Lay flat in the freezer.
- Remove from the freezer when they are frozen solid and label.
🍴Freezer Safe Labels
We have designed Freezer Safe Labels that you can download as well here!
They use the Avery Moisture Proof Labels from Amazon here. This allows them to freeze and defrost without concern of smearing and not reading what is on the label.
🥄 Meal Prep Instructions
If you are busy and want to meal prep this, here are the tips and tricks you need to do it! These may not seem like a lot of time saving but once you start meal prepping like this, you will find the amount of time saved is huge!
- Measure out and put in containers the broth
- Pre-cut the onions
- Measure out and put in containers the spices.
- You could pre-soften the squash as an idea as well. Follow the instructions above in the first step and then allow it to cool. Place in the fridge and follow instructions when you are ready to cook a day or two later.
🥣 If you want to try out a couple more Instant Pot Recipes, check these out!
Instant Pot Tomato Florentine Soup – This is INCREDIBLE! I pinky promise you that you won’t be disappointed, but I would not suggest that you do this for your first Instant Pot meal. There are a lot of ingredients so it is why this Squash Soup is perfect for beginners. Once you have mastered your Instant Pot with a couple of recipes, give this one a try as you won’t be disappointed.
Instant Pot Eggnog – this is such a crazy, yummy variation of Eggnog! I love any recipe that I can prep and make ahead of time when I have friends over. This was a huge hit this year during the holidays!
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup (Gluten Free)– this is a such a warm and soothing meal to make not only when someone is sick but on a cold and rainy day. This one is very easy and comforting to taste!
Instant Pot Squash Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 butternut squash about 5lbs
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion minced
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 4 cups broth your choice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- To soften your butternut squash, cut the squash into quarters.
- Place 1 cup of water in the Instant Pot and place the trivet overtop of the water.
- Set the squash on the trivet (try to avoid touching the flesh of the squash to the metal pot).
- Secure the lid on your Instant Pot and select Manual setting for seven minutes.
- Naturally release the pressure.
- Carefully remove the squash and empty out the water. Place the insert back into the Instant Pot.
- Place the oil in the Instant Pot on the Saute setting.
- Add the onion once the oil is hot and saute two minutes, then add the garlic for one minute.
- Turn off the saute setting and add in all other ingredients.
- Secure the lid and select the stew/soup setting for 10 minutes.
- Naturally release the pressure.