This bowl of Savory Oatmeal with Egg not only looks great, but it tastes great too! It’s packed full of protein, vitamins, minerals, and vegetables.
Talk about a breakfast that packs a punch. Yes, vegetables for breakfast. It’s a healthy and delicious way to start the day. Everyone is sure to love the flavors and the energy that this wonderful breakfast provides. This is fantastic for busy Moms who need a great start that will last the day. Put this one in your favorites!
🥣 What are Savory Oats
Savory oats are simply oatmeal that has toppings that are not based on sweets like brown sugar, chocolate, or fruits. You can use bacon, sausage, vegetables, beans, and eggs. The combinations are endless which makes this meal so much fun. Oats are just a grain and we add some savory toppings. This opens it up to being a great weekend lunch or weeknight dinner when you don’t have a ton of time!
You only need 11 ingredients to make this tasty savory meal. You are going to love how great it is and how well the ingredients go together.
Steel Cut Oats – Using steel cut oats is a must because they are strong enough to be cooked with the other ingredients. Steer clear of old fashioned or minute oats for this recipe if possible. They won’t turn out well.
Bacon – Can you even eat breakfast that doesn’t include bacon? Just kidding, of course, you can. But bacon is a beautiful addition to the oats, and I am sure you are going to love every bite.
Eggs – To get the best results, fry the eggs. The softer centers are fantastic on top of the oatmeal. I can never have too many fried eggs, and this is a fun and unique recipe to include them in.
Step one: Cook bacon in a microwave or a skillet and set aside when done. Wash the red pepper in cold water, and dry with paper towels. Chop the pepper in small pieces, and set aside. Chop the onion. Drain and rinse the beans in cold water.
Step Two: Melt a tablespoon of butter in a non-stick skillet on medium high heat and sauté the red pepper, onion and beans. Sprinkle with Everything Bagel seasoning, and continue cooking until the onions begin to caramelize.
Step Three: Place the oats, water and salt in a microwave safe bowl, and cook according to package directions. While the oats are cooking, melt a tablespoon of butter and carefully break the eggs into the skillet and cook to your liking.
🍲 Assemble the Bowls
Step Four: Add about 1/4 of the cooked oatmeal to each bowl and top with the egg. Add the onions, peppers, beans, shredded cheese, and bacon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add toast or Croissant with butter, jelly, or honey. Enjoy!
🍴 Can I Substitute Old Fashioned Oats
Absolutely! The texture of the steel cut oats might take some getting used to it if you haven’t tried them before.
🥘 How To Meal Prep
- Precook the bacon and store in the refrigerator
- Precook the peppers and onions and store in the refrigerator
Preparing these couple of ingredients means you can get this on the table in under ten minutes. That is way better than eating out at fast food on a rushed weeknight! Remember that this isn’t just a breakfast meal.
🥄 Other Great Oatmeal Recipes
Healthy Oatmeal Waffles These are so fun – you are making your flour from oats. If you haven’t tried it, give it a whirl! They have a traditional banana oatmeal taste that I love. Perfect for weekend mornings!
Easy Baked Oatmeal Cups These are so easy and delish! I love to pop one in the microwave for 30 seconds and walk out the door. Grab and go is my favorite breakfast!
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats This is just one of our favorite overnight oats recipes! Savor and Savvy has over 12 overnight oats recipes up on the blog. Make sure to check them out.
Mixed Berry Oatmeal Jam Bars I love making these but need to send them in to work as I can eat the entire batch if they are left home. If you can use homemade jam, this takes them to a whole new level!
These are easy to make and extremely delicious for a sweet and filling snack.
Baked Cranberry Bliss Oatmeal Cups If you ever want the taste of Cranberry Bliss (thank you Starbucks for making that combination) then these are for you. Just a tad bit of chocolate adds the sweetness that is needed to make this grab and go breakfast taste like dessert!
Savory Oatmeal with Egg
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 can Ranch style beans rinsed
- everything bagel seasoning
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- 12 slices bacon cooked (see instructions)
- 4 eggs fried
- 8 tbsp Colby cheese
- Start off by cooking the bacon in the microwave or on the stove top. Chop the onions and the red peppers and set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of butter to non stick skillet and heat up on medium high heat. Add onions, peppers and beans. Sprinkle Everything Bagel seasoning on top and stir. Cook until onions start to carmelize. This should take 7-9 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Place the oats and water in a microwave safe bowl and cook according to package instructions.
- In the same non stick skillet that you cooked the onion mixture, melt the second tablespoon of butter. Carefully break the eggs into the pan and cook about 7 minutes or until done. If you like your eggs over easy, flip them with the pancake spatula and cook additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 of the oatmeal to each bowl. Top with the egg. Add 1/4 of the onion mixture and cheese to each bowl. Divide bacon to each bowl and serve.