This is a simple slow cooker BBQ chicken recipe – but with a twist – we’re also making sweet potatoes to go along with it cooked alongside the chicken in the slow cooker!
The sweet potatoes are cooked separately, wrapped in foil, on their own “level” of the crockpot to keep them safely away from the (tasty) sauce – which you can totally drench them in later, but we’ll keep them separate during the cooking process.
My husband wasn’t in the mood for sweet potatoes on this day, so I used another potato we had in the pantry for his and seasoned it with a bit of salt and pepper. So this is definitely picky-eater-friendly since it allows for some flexibility.
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Recipe
- 2 to 3 lbs Fresh Chicken Breast
- 18 oz. Bottle Hickory BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar, Packed
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
(If Adding Potatoes)
2 Sweet Potatoes cut in half or quartered (1/2 potato per person)
Mix BBQ Sauce, Brown Sugar, Cumin, Minced Garlic, Onion Powder and Salt + Pepper together in slow cooker.
Add in fresh boneless, skinless chicken breast (boneless, skinless chicken thighs would work as well and are usually less expensive).
Cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours // or // LOW for 7 to 8 hours, or until chicken is fully cooked through. Time will vary a bit depending on the thickness of chicken and your particular slow cooker.
If Adding Sweet Potatoes:
Cut sweet potatoes in half (or in quarters – see recommendation below) and pierce with fork several times. Flavor with seasonings of your choice and wrap tightly in foil, I like to double wrap the potatoes so the sauce doesn’t find its way in! Place in the crockpot on top of the chicken, close lid, and cook along with the chicken.
Sweet potatoes are so versatile, so I recommend seasoning however you’d like! But if you’re curious on how I seasoned mine, here’s what I used:
- Half packet of Truvia
- Salt + Pepper
When it’s done, I also add a pat of butter when serving.
Note: If you are cooking for only four hours, I recommend quartering the sweet potatoes rather than halving them so they cook more quickly!
Once everything is ready, I pop a bag of microwavable green beans in the microwave and let that cook while I plate the potatoes, chicken (and ladle lots of sauce over the chicken!)
And when it’s done, we have this! A complete meal with very little effort.
If you’re not a fan of green beans, I recommend serving broccoli, corn on the cob or your favorite quick salad!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- 3 lbs chicken breast
- 18 oz Hickory BBQ sauce substitute your favorite
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp p cumin
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 sweet potatoes cut in half
- Spray slow cooker with non stick spray.
- Mix bbq sauce, brown sugar, cumin, garlic, onion powder and salt and pepper together in slow cooker.
- Add skinless, boneless chicken breast (thighs work great here as well and are less expensive).
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and piece with fork several times. Flavor with seasonings of your choice and wrap tightly with foil. I like to double wrap the potatoes so the sauce doesn't find it's way inside. Place it the crockpot on top of the chicke, close lid, and cook along with the chicken.
- Cook on HIGH for 4-5 or LOW for 7-8 hours or until chicken is fully cooked through.