Gorgeous does not even begin to describe these delicately sweet Air Fryer Apple Roses. Wow your guests and treat your family with a special dessert they will still be talking about twenty years from now.
🍽️ Why This Works
Six Simple Ingredients. Chances are good you already have almost everything you need in your pantry.
Clear Instructions. In this article, we show you step-by-step exactly how to make apple roses in the air fryer. It’s not nearly as complicated as they look. You can do this.
Edible Beauty. These are so delicately beautiful and they are perfect for a bridal shower or any formal event, but they will be just as perfect for your daughter’s sixth or sixteenth birthday or a ladies’ brunch or wine tasting.
Fuji Apples | Look for apples with firm unblemished skin since you leave the skin on for this recipe.
Lemon Juice | This keeps the apple slices from browning while you put everything together. It isn’t strictly necessary for the recipe. However, since this dessert is a thing of beauty as much as it is taste, I do recommend using lemon juice.
Puff Pastry Sheets | These are store-bought sheets of dough that puff up when baked similar to croissant dough. Alternatively, you can make your own in just a few minutes.
Flour to Sprinkle | Just a small amount of flour for your surface and keep everything from sticking.
Ground Cinnamon | The classic pairing of apples and cinnamon is perfection. The juice from the apple will come out and mix with the cinnamon as it cooks.
Powdered Sugar | For dusting on the finished apples. Look how pretty they are with this simple decoration!
Honey Drizzle | Optional for added sweetness.
⏲️ Equipment and Tools
- Microwavable Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Air Fryer
- Silicone Cupcake Molds
- Apple Corer
- Rolling Pin
Step One: Take all of your apples and slice them in half. Core out the middle to remove the seeds. Slice them as thin as possible and place them in a large microwavable bowl. Add to your bowl your lemon juice and fill with enough water to cover your apple slices so that they float. Place in the microwave for three minutes or until the slices are soft and pliable.
Step Two: On a lightly floured surface, lay out one pastry sheet and roll it with a rolling pin just a couple of times. Work it enough to evenly flatten your sheets. Cut your pastry sheet into six slices.
Step Three: Remove your apples from the microwave and drain the water from the bowl using a colander. Taking one of the six slices of your pastry sheet, place the apple slices horizontally on it with the round part (skin) just outside the edge of the pastry sheet. Take your next apple slice and continue the same thing but overlap slightly. Continue until all of your pastry sheets are lined with apple slices. Sprinkle with ½ tablespoon of cinnamon powder. See the photos above.
Step Four: Take the bottom part of your pastry sheet and fold it up to line itself with the pastry sheet underneath. In a sense, you are folding the pastry sheet in half over the apple slices. Roll your pastry sheet and apple slices, and slightly pinch the ends.
Step Five: Place in your silicone cupcake liners and put in your air fryer. Cook at 375°F for seven minutes or until the dough is fully baked.
Step Six: Remove from the air fryer and serve warm. Lightly dust with powdered sugar. For an extra dose of sweetness, drizzle with honey, or agave!
❗ Expert Tips
My air fryer is a 6 quart and fits 4 to 6 comfortably. You can choose to make all of the roses at once or make a few roses at a time.
Preheating your air fryer while you prepare the apple roses will help the pastry dough cook more evenly and quickly.
Keep leftover air fryer Apple Roses in a sealed plastic bag in your refrigerator. Reheat them in your air fryer for one or two minutes or in your microwave for thirty seconds at a time until heated through.
If you cannot get Fuji apples, you can use Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, or Jonagold apples. Look for apples that bake more crisply. If the apples get too mushy when baked they probably won’t work as well.
You might also like these Air Fryer Caramel Apple Hand Pies.
Serve warm with a light dusting of powdered sugar. For an extra dose of sweetness, drizzle with honey, or agave!
These would also be lovely on top of a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
If you enjoy caramel sauce, drizzle them and add a barely-there sprinkling of coarse salt.
A simple powdered sugar glaze might be a nice alternative with added sweetness, although it will not look as elegant.
Pair this dessert with our Homemade Charcuterie Board for your next wine tasting.
❓ Recipe FAQ
Follow our simple instructions to make beautiful baked apple roses in your air fryer.
Yes. Place them in a freezer-quality plastic Ziploc bag and remove the excess air. Keep them frozen for up to three months. Thaw and reheat in the microwave or thaw at room temperature and reheat for a couple of minutes in the air fryer.
As we showed in the step-by-step instructions, you don’t actually cut the apple directly into a rose. You slice the apple and form it into a rose by layering and rolling. It’s much simpler than the finished product makes it look.
The pastry is actually what holds the apple rose together. These pastry sheets puff up as they bake and form the glue between apple slices for a beautiful apple rose pastry dessert.
No. This recipe calls for regular puff pastry sheets and a sprinkling of flour. You can actually buy gluten-free puff pastry dough if you live in an area with good grocery stores, but I haven’t tried that dough with this recipe. If you do decide to try it make sure to replace the flour using a good all-purpose gluten-free flour as well.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Air Fryer Apple Roses
- Microwavable Bowl
- Silicon Cupcake Liners
- Apple Corer optional
- Rolling Pin
- 3 Red Fuji Apples
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 sheets Puff Pastry
- Flour to sprinkle
- 3 tbsp Cinnamon
Apple Roses Toppings
- Powdered Sugar to sprinkle
- Honey drizzle
- Wash all of the apples before starting. Once clean, slice all apples them in half. Remove the core out of the middle to remove the seeds. Slice apples as thin as possible and place in a large microwavable bowl.
- Drizzle lemon juice over the apples and fill enough water to cover your apple slices so that they float.
- Place in the microwave on high for three minutes or until the slices are soft and pliable.
- While your apple slices are in the microwave, prep your working station by lightly flowering a flat surface of a wooden cutting board or area that you can cut the puff pastry. A clean counter works great.
- Layout one puff pastry sheet and roll it with a rolling pin just a couple of times to even out and flatten sheets. Cut your pastry sheet into six slices.
- Remove apples from the microwave, drain the water from the bowl using a colander.
Assembling Apple Roses
- Taking one of the six slices your pastry sheet, place it on the counter in front of you LENGTH WISE. Place an apple slice horizontally with the round part (skin) just outside the TOP edge of the pastry sheet, leaving the bottom half that will be folded up onto the apples. See photos above.
- Take your next apple slice and continue the same thing but overlap your apple slice slightly. Continue until all of your pastry sheet is lined with apple slices. Sprinkle with ½ tablespoon of cinnamon.
- Take the bottom part of your pastry sheet and fold up to line itself with the pastry sheet underneath. In a sense you are folding the pastry sheet in half over the apple slices.
- Using your hands, roll your pastry sheet and apple slices, and slightly pinch the ends.
- Place in your silicone cupcake liners and put in your air fryer.
- Repeat steps until you have made all 12 roses, or until you can fit as many in your air fryer. My air fryer is a 6 quart and fits 4 to 6 comfortably. You can choose to make all of the roses at once and then cook a few, or make a few roses, cook those and continue to prepare more.
- Cook at 375°F for seven minutes or until the dough is fully baked.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve warm. Lightly dust with powdered sugar. For an extra dose of sweetness, drizzle with honey, or agave!
Leave a Reply