If you enjoy hazelnut spread the way our family does, you’ll love this Air Fryer Nutella! With just 30 minutes and a few simple ingredients, you’ll have that rich creamy spread you know and love.
This is an addicting family favorite, and great for spreading on toast, bagels, mixing in desserts, and so much more. This easy recipe is a “must make”, and crazy simple.
Once you start making your own nut butters, you will quickly realize how quick and easy it is. Bonus: it just tastes out of this world!
🍽️ Why This Works
Seven Ingredients – Hazelnut spread takes just a few ingredients to make. You will be amazed at how simple and delicious it is to roast hazelnuts in your air fryer and make Nutella. I find it tastes a bit better than store bought version.
30 Minutes – With prep and cook time, it takes just 30 minutes to make. Then you will have a jar to store in the fridge and enjoy for a snack, breakfast, etc.
No Preservatives – This recipe is so simple to whip up, there are no preservatives, and you get to control the ingredients used. It is a wonderful way to know exactly what you are feeding your family.
Nutella ingredients are simple. You might have these supplies on hand already in your pantry.
- Raw Hazelnuts
- Coconut Oil
- Powdered Sugar
- Chocolate Chips
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
⏲️ Equipment and Tools
Air Fryer | We used our basket Ninja this time but you can use Cosori, Ninja Foodi, Chefman or Instant Vortex.
Food Processor | We recommend a processor that is strong enough to blend the nuts to be smooth like the Cuisinart 5 qt or the larger 8-11 cup versions. My little Cuisinart Mini will work but sometimes leaves the nuts a little bit chunky.
Jar | You will need some type of jar to store this in. We suggest the Ball 8oz jars for great storage and they work great for gift giving during the holidays! These are the ones shown in the photos.
Step One: Add the hazelnuts to the air fryer and roast them at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Depending on the air fryer, the cook time can vary slightly.
Step Two: Pour the roasted hazelnuts on a towel and let them cool down a little bit. Then, rub the towel on the nuts to remove the skin. These should easily peel away.
Step Three: Pour the nuts in a blender or food processor. Add in the oil and create a paste by pulsing a few times.
Step Four: Add in the remaining ingredients and then blend until it creates a creamy paste. This won’t take long.
Step Five: Make sure to scrape down the sides to ensure the paste is fully mixed.
Step Six: Pour the Nutella into a jar, and use as you would like.
❗ Expert Tips
- To make this super smooth, you need to have a powerful blender or food processor. Otherwise, you will find the texture of the spread is a bit chunky.
- Melt the chocolate before you pour it into the blender. This will help it blend easier and ensure the chocolate mixes well with the hazelnuts.
- The salt is needed as it will balance the ingredients and bring out the natural flavors of the nuts and the chocolate.
If you use a dairy free chocolate chips this recipe is a vegan friendly recipe.
Homemade Nutella doesn’t need to be placed in the refrigerator. Just place it in an airtight container, stir and use like you would any other hazelnut spread.
To make this dairy free, reach for a dairy free chocolate. I used regular chocolate chips, but you can easily substitute.
The spread will last around 1-2 weeks. Since it doesn’t have the preservatives, it won’t have that long of a shelf life unfortunately.
Two things can contribute to this. Make sure you get every bit of outside skin off when you have it on the towel. The other thing that will contribute to it is not blending long enough. This is just like other nut butters where you will see it become smoother and smoother overtime. It is not uncommon to blend 6-9 minutes to get this extra creamy.
Air Fryer Nutella
- Air Fryer
- Food Processor
- 12 oz Hazelnuts raw
- 5 tbsp Coconut Oil melted
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- ⅔ cup Chocolate Chips semi-sweet or milk, melted
- ⅓ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Place the hazelnuts in the air fryer basket and cook on 350 for 15 minutes.
- Remove and place on a towel to cool. When they are cool to touch, remove the skins by rubbing between fingers or rolling in the towel to loosen.
- Place the nuts in a food processor and blend with coconut oil until a paste is formed.
- Once nuts are finely chopped into a paste, add the vanilla, powdered sugar cocoa and melted chocolate chip. Continue to blend to buttery consistency.
Melted Chocolate Microwave Version
- Choose to melt the chocolate in a Pyrex type container for 30 second increments and stirring well after each time. Make sure to wipe down the sides each time.
Melted Chocolate Double Broiler Version
- Place a cup of water in a small sauce pan and turn stove top to low. Place a heat resistant bowl (Pyrex) on top of the sauce pan but not touching the water. Then pour in the chocolate chips and stir often. The steam will gradually heat up the bowl and melt the chocolate.