Four ingredients and just ten minutes is all it takes to make these Air Fryer Caramel Apple Hand Pies! A delicious apple dessert that is made with pie crust, caramel apple pie filling, and an egg wash.
If you enjoy apples like us, you will enjoy this simple recipe. This screams fall flavors in each bite.
Now, if you don’t have caramel apple pie filling, the classic filling works just the same. You just lose the caramel flavor. It is delicious, and you will enjoy it down to the last crumbs.
🍽️ Why This Works
- Four ingredients
- Just ten minutes to make
- Use store bought pie crust for no fuss
- Kid friendly
- Great for serving guests, your family, etc
- They freeze well
I love recipes that just require a few ingredients. Seriously! This one is no exception. I bet you have most of these in your kitchen already.
Pie Filling: Choose any flavor you want. I happened to have these in the pantry, so it saved me a few bucks having to buy more.
Pie Dough: I go through moments where I want to make a scratch-made pie crust, but most of the time it is just too convenient to pick up a pre-made one from the store. It saves so much time!
Step One: Start by rolling out your pie dough. Use a round cookie cutter to form circles.
Step Two: Now add some filling and then fold over the pie crust. Use the back of a fork to press around the edges and seal the two sides together.
Step Three: In a small bowl, whip and egg until it is frothy. Brush the sealed hand pie with the egg. This will help the dough turn to a gorgeous golden color when it is cooked in the air fryer.
Note: Make sure to not overfill the hand pie or you will not get a good seal. I had a few chunks of apple that were too large, so I cut them in half before I added it to the dough.
Step Three: Place the hand pies on parchment paper and air fry at 330 degrees for nine minutes, turning them over at the six minute mark.
Step Four: Once they are done, carefully remove and allow them to cool a little before serving to your family!
❗ Expert Tips
- You can use any flavor as pie filling. Be creative!
- Reach for homemade pie crust or store-bought if you would like.
- Don’t allow the pies to touch or you will get uneven spots in the crust.
- The egg wash adds a crisp golden brown color.
- Use classic apple pie filling with a drizzle of caramel sauce if you would like.
- Make sure to make the slits on the top of them as that will help release steam. If you forget to do that, your pie will end up a little soggy.
- Because all air fryers are slightly different, try out one pie first to make sure the timing is 100% perfect for your version.
Reach for a drinking glass and use that as the circle to cut out the pie crust. Anything that is round will work great. Also, try the ring from a canning jar.
Grease a baking pan and then place your pies in a single layer. Bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes or until the pie crust is golden brown.
Pie doesn’t have to be refrigerated but you will find that it will last longer if placed in the refrigerator. They will store for 4-5 days.
Yes, these pies do freeze well. Allow them to fully cool. Once cooled place in an airtight container or freezer bag. Freeze for 3-4 months. Thaw on the counter in the fridge when you are ready to serve them up.
This will help you keep the air fryer clean.
Air Fryer Caramel Apple Hand Pies
- 2 Pie Crust store bought, ready-made
- ¼ cup Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 ½ cups Caramel Apple Pie Filling
- On a floured surface, roll out pie dough. Use a rolling pin to flatten it to ⅛” thick.
- Use a circular cookie cutter, cut out the circles for the pies. If you don't have one, use a drinking glass or a metal ring from a canning jar.
- Place 1-2 apple slices from the filling on the crust. Chop the apples up if they are too large.
- Fold the crust in half and use the back of a fork to seal the two edges together.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg. Brush the crust with the egg wash.
- Make a few holes in the top to allow the steam to escape.
- Place the pies in the air fryer basket and cook at 330 for six minutes, flip and cook for three more minutes.