I wish I could tell you how much I’m in love with this Puff Pastry Blueberry Tart!!! I want it every day from now on. My waistline might quickly disagree with that, but my taste buds are saying “give me more!!” I love baking with Puff Pastry! It is gorgeous and I feel like a million bucks when I use it. Now you can as well!
How to Work with Puff Pastry
Working with puff pastry is pretty easy as long as you follow a few easy tips!
- Keep the puff pastry chilled until you are ready to use it.
- Defrost it on the counter for 30 minutes, but make sure to use it or put it in the refrigerator.
- Puff Pastry likes to be cold. Keep everything chilled until you are ready to use it and keep it cold while you are prepping it. Don’t let it sit around while you do three other projects.
- Pinch together any areas in order to keep them together. The dough is very forgiving that way
- Use an egg wash of one egg with a tablespoon of water or milk. Where you brush, it will create a gorgeous golden brown pastry when you bake it.
How to Make a Puff Pastry Blueberry Tart
Take the puff pastry out of the freezer and allow it to sit on the counter for 30 minutes. During this time, take out the cream cheese and preheat your oven.
Line a sheet pan with a Silpat or parchment paper. Lay out the puff pastry on the sheet pan. It should lay pretty flat, but seal up any gaps in the dough with your fingers. Score a one-inch border around the inside of the puff pastry with a knife. This is the first step to creating that gorgeous edge you see in the photos.
Poke holes in the center of the puff pastry using a fork. You will do this 15-20 times total. This allows the air to come through. The center of the puff pastry will still rise in the oven but will come back down once you take it out and the heated air will escape through these holes. If yours doesn’t come right down, gently tap it and it will deflate with no problems.
Using an egg wash of the egg and milk, whisk together and brush on the outer one-inch border that you created. It will help that area become a beautiful toasty brown color!
Bake the Puff Pastry
Bake the puff pastry for 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Turn the sheet pan halfway through to make sure there are no hot spots in the oven and even baking.
Take it out and allow it to cool. Help the center deflate by gently pushing on it if needed.
In your mixer, combine the vanilla, cream cheese, and sugar and mix well. Spread out onto the cooled baked puff pastry. Top with blueberries.
Serve immediately. You can refrigerate this for a few hours at most. I tested it overnight and the puff pastry was ok but not quite as good. I waited two days and the puff pastry was too soft and the texture and flavor was off at that point. Stick to the same day, if at all possible.
How Can I Meal Prep Blueberry Tart Puff Pastry?
- Measure out the blueberries and store in a container
- Prep the mixer and utensils you will need
- Prep the Silpat/parchment on the sheet pan
- Premeasure the sugar and cover. Place next to the mixer to make it a quick “dump and mix” when you need to.
Can I Use Other Fruit?
Absolutely! Blackberries, peaches, and raspberries would all work great for this recipe! Mix it up and enjoy!
Can I Cut the Puff Pastry to Make Smaller Ones?
You bet! Cut the puff pastry when it comes out of the freezer into smaller bite-size pieces or even into 3×4 inch segments. This allows your guests to grab-and-go rather than having to cut apart the larger tart. Treat the recipe as the same with the egg wash. Cook for seven minutes, turn and another seven minutes. Check for that golden brown color.
If you are in love with blueberries as much as we are, make sure to check out the following!!
Lemon Poke Cake with Blueberries this is such a great dessert when you want to make a huge impression on your guests! You will love the fact that it looks complicated but it’s not! It’s so quick and easy to make that you can whip one up for a party in a few hours!
Lemon Blueberry Overnight Oats-if you love blueberries, make sure to try out the yummy and easy to whip up Lemon Blueberry Overnight Oats! They are quick to make up for a week’s worth of breakfasts in just a couple minutes! They are low in fast but high on flavor!
Blueberry Lemon Muffins with Crumbly Streusel Topping are incredibly delicious to make for a special event or holiday! The streusel topping creates a perfect richness to the blueberry lemon muffin! These muffins taste like you picked them up from that special bakery! Just add coffee and enjoy!
Ina Garten’s Lemon Bars marries beautifully with a blueberry dessert! If you are looking for a delicious and tart option for your dessert table, this is a tried and true gem! This will make you want to break out a cup of tea and sit on a porch!
Quick and Easy Blueberry Tart
- 1 8 oz frozen puff pastry thawed for no more than 20-30 minutes
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 pints blueberries or other fruit, as desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a sheet pan with a Silpat or parchment paper.
- Lay out the puff pastry on the Silpat and even out any creases that may be left from it being folded in the freezer.
- Using a fork, poke lots of holes in the center of the puff pastry. Leave the outer 1 inch all the way around alone and don’t poke it!!! This will allow the air to release when you pull it out of oven. It will still puff up but once you press on it gently, the air will come out of the holes and settle back down.
- Using a knife, score about one inch all the way around the puff pastry. Don’t go all the way through the puff pastry to the sheet pan. You are looking for it to score so there is a separation from the center and the edge. It will create a higher edge (remember you didn’t poke holes with the fork there!!)
- Whisk together the egg and milk and brush on the 1 inch outer border.
- Place puff pastry in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Turn the sheet pan at the 10 minute mark to make sure all sides are cooking evenly. I took mine out at 15 minutes total.
- Allow to cool. While cooling, stir the cream cheese, vanilla and sugar together.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture into the center of the puff pastry (where you had the fork marks) and spread out.
- Sprinkle blueberries over the cream cheese mixture. Using a sifter, place the powdered sugar inside and sprinkle on top blueberries.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 2-3 hours at most or the puff pastry gets soft.