I can’t wait for you to make Avocado Brownies! This recipe creates a decadent gluten free dessert that will wow your guests! These scrumptious bites of chocolate are made healthier by the hidden ingredient that only you know.
These brownies are so good, and they’re a healthier version of these great chocolate squares. I could have eaten the whole pan. Let’s keep that between us, ok?
We are making them with coconut flour, which is gluten free, and the maple syrup adds a wonderful sweet flavor. You can put ice cream or whipped cream on them if you choose, for a delicious dessert, or you can just eat them right out of the pan. Either way, this will be your new favorite, easy Brownie recipe. You’re going to love this!
If you aren’t familiar with cooking with avocados or coconut flour, we’ve got you covered!
🍴What is Coconut Flour
According to Bob’s Red Mill, coconut flour is made from the center of the coconut, dried and made into a powder leading to a gluten free flour. It is lighter than almond flour which lends it to be great for baking.
📌 Why Use Coconut Flour
Coconut Flour is GLUTEN FREE, low in carbs and high in fiber. This is a great recipe to help out celiacs to provide a healthier dessert that is good for the body. This is a sweet option that won’t impact their strict diet.
🥑 Can I Taste the Avocado
I could not taste the avocado in these. Almost everyone reports that they can not taste the avocado in the brownies. There are a few instances where an overly ripe avocado may result in a slightly bitter flavor. Frankly, all I taste is the super yummy fudgy chocolate goodness!
🥑 Why Use Avocados
Putting avocados in brownies is an excellent substitute for butter. You can take out 100% of the butter, like I did, or you can leave a tablespoon or two of butter in the batter. When you leave a little, it helps folks who might want to slowly transition to the avocado. If you are planning on mixing the butter and avocado, it is a 1:1 ratio. So, for every tablespoon of avocado you remove, add in a tablespoon of butter.
According to California Avocado Direct, avocados are significantly lower in calories and fat, yet so much higher in nutrients than butter. If you can’t taste the difference, why choose butter over the avocado? Take a leap of faith and give it a shot. You’ll be glad you did.
- Just like normal brownies, don’t overmix the batter. I know you want to get every lump out, but refrain and just let them be. It will work itself out in the oven.
- If you want the brownie to be more cake-like, add another egg to the recipe. I prefer the fudgy brownies. 💕
- Don’t overcook the brownies. Just like most brownie recipes, you want to take them out well before the toothpick is clean. A little bit of moist crumbs on the toothpick will make sure that they remain nice and gooey. Remember, the residual heat in the pan will result in them cooking for a couple minutes after you take them out of the oven.
‼️ How to Make Keto Friendly
These Avocado Brownies are not Keto approved, but they can be adapted by substituting maple syrup for Stevia, a natural sweetener from the Stevia rebaudiana plant. It comes in liquid or powdered form. You won’t need quite as much Stevia as other sweeteners.
🥣 Are These Paleo
Our recipe does not adhere to the Paleo diet, but if you are looking for a paleo-friendly version, check out Cristina’s Flourless Avocado Brownies.
Step One: Wash the avocados and dry with paper towels. Cut them in half, remove the pit, scoop out the avocado with a spoon and add to a mixing bowl or a stand mixer. Blend the avocado with the whisk attachment until its smooth.
Step Two: Add the eggs, Maple syrup, and sugar and mix until well blended. In a separate bowl, mix the Coconut four, cocoa, and baking soda.
Step Three: Combine the two bowls and mix.
Step Four: Line a 9X9, or 8X8 dish with Parchment paper, and pour the batter into the dish. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
Step Five: Place the brownies in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool completely before cutting.
When cool, cut into 3X3 inch squares, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
NOTE: If you’re not serving right away, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
🍲 Meal Prep
You can partially meal prep Avocado Brownies.
- The best tip is to measure out the ingredients except for the avocados and put them in cups and cover ahead of time. I know that sounds silly, but it saves a lot of time for the day you plan on baking. It’s the little things, right?
- Get the bowl, utensils and pan out and ready to go.
If you use these couple of time saving tips, you should be able to whip these up in about 10 minutes, including cutting and preparing the avocado!
🧇 Related Recipes
Coconut Flour Oatmeal Cookies are crispy and crunchy on the outside. These are gluten free yet nobody will know that unless you tell them.
Coconut Flour Shortbread Cookies are so delicious and easy to whip up. This gluten free cookie receives raves reviews anytime it is served at parties or buffets.
Coconut Flour Waffles will quickly become a family favorite for the weekends. Crispy outside and yet still soft on the inside. You can choose what you want to put on top!
- 2 avocados ripe
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Wash the Avocados and dry with paper towels.
- Cut them in half, remove the pit and scoop out the Avocado with a spoon and add to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer.
- Blend the Avocado with the whisk attachment until its smooth.
- Add the eggs, Maple syrup, and sugar and mix until well blended. In a separate bowl, mix the Coconut four, cocoa, and baking soda, until blended.
- Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, and blend until all ingredients are well mixed. Line a 9X9, or 8X8 dish with Parchment paper, and pour the Brownie batter into the dish.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the Brownies.
- Place the Brownie in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool completely before cutting the Brownies.
- When cool, cut into 3X3 inch squares, and serve immediately. Enjoy!