If you love shortbread, but prefer gluten-free options, this recipe is for you. Coconut Flour Shortbread Cookie Bars are delicious and so easy to bake in 30 minutes. We took all the guesswork out of it and found just the right amounts of ‘this and that’, and it turned out great.
It is hard to tell the difference between these and the traditional shortbread recipes. Add on some colorful sprinkles and watch this cookie bar disappear.
This is a perfect dessert that is great for a weeknight, potluck recipe, or bake sale.
👩🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Simple Ingredients
- Great Gluten Free Dessert Recipe
- Quick Cook
- Fluffy, light shortbread flavor
- Six ingredient dessert
🥣 Use of Coconut Flour
We’ve been asked this and thought I should share that this is a gluten free option. Regular flour contains gluten and many folks are allergic or just sensitive to it.
This is a great option to use if you have someone in your life with gluten allergies since it is made out of powdered dry coconut as these 45+ Coconut Flour Recipes have done.
🥄 Coconut Flour Substitution
There is NOT a 1:1 ratio between the two! Generally speaking, you can substitute ¼-⅓ cup of coconut flour for one cup of all purpose flour.
So if a recipe says “one cup of flour” you would use 1⁄4 to 1⁄3 cup of coconut flour, plus you would need to add an egg as there is not gluten to hold and bind the baked good together!
- Coconut Flour
- Vanilla Extract
- Italian Sweet Creamer
- Sprinkles (optional)
Step One: Line the bottom of and 8X8 inch, or 9X9 inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
Step Two: In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, add the softened butter, and blend until creamy, using the whisk attachment.
Step Three: Add the sugar, vanilla and Italian sweet cream. Mix until smooth.
NOTE: If you don’t have Coffee creamer, you can use cream, or half-n-half, and one tablespoon of sugar instead.
Step Four: Add the coconut flour, and mix on low until the batter is smooth, and the dough becomes thick. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl, and blend again.
Step Five: Remove the mixing bowl, and place the shortbread in the parchment lined pan. Spread the shortbread evenly in the pan. Use your fingers or spatula to smooth the top.
Step Six: Score the top of the shortbread with a sharp knife in one inch lines going across both ways in the pan. Don’t cut all the way through.
Step Seven: Sprinkle with Nonpareils, lightly pressing them into the dough, and place in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before cutting. Cut in one inch square, and serve. Enjoy!
🥚 Expert Tips
- Double the recipe and use a 9×13 pan instead of an 8×8.
- Leave off the sprinkles for a more traditional style.
- Stir in some chocolate chips for a twist of flavor.
- Use a vanilla coffee creamer instead if you can’t find a sweet cream creamer.
🍪 Recipe FAQs
Traditional shortbread does contain gluten. That is why I created this coconut flour based recipe. You get similar flavor and is an allergen-friendly dessert.
I have not tried to use a gluten free baking flour, but I don’t see it would be an issue to replace it with the coconut flour. I know there are some gluten free flours that are a 1 to 1 ratio swap.
You bet! Freeze the cookies bars if you don’t plan to eat them all at once. Just allow the shortbread to fully cool. Then place in a freezer container or freezer bag. Freeze up to three months, and thaw on the counter. Follow the Freezer Tips and Tricks 101 Printable for guidance.
🍰 Related Recipes
Coconut Flour Shortbread Cookie Bars
- 8×8 Pan
- Parchment Paper
- 1 cup Coconut Flour
- 1 stick Butter softened but not melted
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla
- 2 tbsp Italian Sweet Cream Coffee Creamer Coffee Mate is the brand we used from the refrigerated section
- 2 tbsp Nonpareils
- First, line the bottom of and 8X8 inch, or 9X9 inch pan with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, place the softened butter, and blend until creamy, using the whisk attachment.
- Add the sugar, vanilla and Italian sweet cream, and mix until smooth.
- Add the coconut flour, and blend on low until smooth, and the dough becomes thick.
- Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl, and blend again.
- Remove the mixing bowl, and place the shortbread in the pan, on top of the parchment paper.
- Spread the shortbread evenly in the pan, using your fingers, and spatula to smooth the top.
- Score the top of the shortbread with a sharp knife, in one inch lines going across both ways in the pan, like you would cut it in 1 inch square pieces, but don't cut all the way through.
- Sprinkle with Nonpareils, lightly pressing them into the dough, and place in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Cut in one inch squares, and serve.