Overnight Blueberry French Toast Bake is a perfect dish for Christmas morning!
Try to think that today is 5 months from Christmas Eve!! Day 24 of savorandsavvy’s Christmas in July is celebrating with Overnight Blueberry French Toast! We made this one as a “no added sugar” version as at some point during the holidays, we all are on sugar overload! As a stand-alone overnight french toast bake, this one just isn’t overly sweet and heavy.
That isn’t to say that you can’t add sugar or whipped cream to your french toast bake! We just chose not to for this version. Keeping it mellow and not so sticky-sweet! A dash of maple syrup is delish with it, but it’s all up to you!
This overnight French toast couldn’t be any easier! The ingredients give you an excellent flavor combination that’s perfect to start any day. Let’s take a look at the main ingredients:
Bread: We use bread that is a day old because it gives you the best bang for your buck. When you use bread that is stale, it will actually absorb the egg mixture more easily.
Blueberries: We love adding fresh blueberries because they taste so wonderful. You can swap them for any of your other favorite berries, depending on your preference.
Eggs: You’ll need to beat the eggs before adding them to the bake. They will give you some protein and taste great with the other ingredients.
This comes together so quickly, you are going to love making it!
Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, egg, and lemon juice into a bowl and set aside.
Cut the bread into bite-sized pieces. Spray the 9×13 pan and put ½ of the bread cubes in the bottom of the pan. Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the bread cubes.
Sprinkle ½ of the blueberries on top of that.
Whisk the eggs and pour ½ of the eggs over the top of the bread cubes. Layer the remaining bread cubes. Pour over the remaining eggs and sprinkle with the remaining blueberries.
Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
In the morning, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the overnight french toast bake for 30 minutes, covered. Remove cover and cook an additional 30 minutes.
Serve alone for a no-added-sugar breakfast. Other options include adding butter, add whipped cream, sprinkle with powdered sugar, pour over maple syrup or blueberry jam.
🍓What Other Berries Will Work?
Try strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries. All of them alone will produce the same mild sweetness.
‼️ Meal Prepping Tips
Although this is completely meal prep as it is, you can always prep more by doing the following:
- Cut up the bread into cubes and place in an airtight bag for later in the day to use.
- Measure out blueberries.
- Combine the sour cream, cream cheese, and lemon juice and premix it. You will have to allow it to soften before layering on the bread.
❓ Can I Freeze French Toast?
Make this ahead of time and wrap it 2-3 times in Press n Seal or Foil. You are looking for solid airtight coverage so I would stay away from Saran wrap for the freezer.
🥞 Related Recipes Breakfasts
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Hash Brown Quiche Cups
- Raspberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- Baked Eggs with Ham in a Muffin Tin
- Apple Strudel
- Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Casserole
- Blueberry Puff Pastry
- Healthy Oatmeal Waffles Recipe
Overnight Blueberry French Toast Bake
- 9×13 Inch pan
- 12 slices day old bread we used a baguette
- 12 eggs beaten
- 2 cups blueberries
Cream Cheese Mixture
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg whisked
Cream Cheese Mixture
- Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, egg, vanilla and lemon juice into a bowl and mix well.
- Cut bread into bite sized pieces.
- Spray non stick spray into a 9×13 pan.
- Spread 1/2 of the cubed bread pieces on the bottom of the pan.
- Spread the cream cheese mixure over the top of the bread cubes.
- Whisk the eggs and spread half of the eggs on top of the bread cubes.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the blueberries over the top.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 bread cubes on top.
- Pour the remaining eggs on top of the bread.
- Sprinkle the remaining blueberries.
- Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, heat oven to 350 degrees. Place french toast bake in oven for 30 minutes, covered. Remove cover and cook and additional 30 minutes.