This Tomato Cucumber and Onion Salad recipe is the perfect summer salad to bring to a BBQ that you can make in under 10 minutes. It’s frugal, fresh, and utterly delicious.
This recipe features fresh, crisp veggies with a slightly tart dressing. It is the perfect party food and goes well with anything that comes off of a grill…it’s basically summer in a bowl.
Our summers are built on simple meals like this that are quick, fresh, flavorful, and that are no-cook, so there’s no need to heat up the house when it’s already hot out! We recently had this with tomato mayo sandwiches, and it was such a great no-cook meal!
This recipe is sweetened with SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend, which lets us balance out the tartness of the dressing without as much added sugar. Feel free to use any sweetener you like. This is the one we chose this time.
🍽️ Why This Recipe Works
Only 10 Minutes of Prep Work – Throwing this salad together couldn’t be any easier. You’ll have plenty of time to prepare other dishes.
Crowd-pleasing – If you want to give a crowd a burst of flavor, make this salad for them.
Fresh Ingredients – Lots of fresh veggies are bound to tantalize your taste buds and give you plenty of nutrients too.
You can officially say goodbye to boring salads once you taste the incredible flavors in this salad. Let’s discuss the ingredients really quickly.
Veggies: You can’t have a salad without having some kind of vegetables, right? Cucumbers, red onions, and tomatoes go together amazingly.
Mozzarella: For best results, always use fresh mozzarella. It goes much better in this salad when you use fresh vs. an overly processed version.
Lemon Juice: The lemon juice gives you just enough tang to make this salad extra special. When you combine it with the apple cider vinegar, sweetener, and seasonings, you just can’t go wrong.
Step One: Slice the grape tomatoes in half and add them to a large bowl. Mix in the red onions and mozzarella.
Step Two: Peel the skin from the cucumber and cut it lengthwise. Take a spoon and scrape out all the seeds and toss them out. Chop the cucumber and add it to the bowl.
Step Three: Chop the fresh dill.
Step Four: Combine the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, fresh dill, and SPLENDA in a small bowl. Whisk well and add salt and pepper to taste.
Step Five: Add the dressing to the salad and refrigerate for at least three hours.
📌 Expert Tips
- Cut the veggies, so they are all similar size. This will make it easier for everyone to eat.
- Whenever possible, use fresh dill. Dried dill has a lot of stronger flavor, but it’s just not the same as fresh.
- Adjust the SPLENDA, salt, and pepper to taste. You can always add more or less depending on what you like.
While I recommend it, it’s not required. The main reason I like to remove the skin is the texture. You could also use an English cucumber and leave the seeds in.
Yep! Honestly, the longer it sits, the better it tastes because everything has a chance to blend better. Prepare the salad and leave it in the fridge up to a full day ahead of time and serve.
Of course! We like to toss in some fresh mozzarella, avocado, and olives once in a while. But you could also add bell peppers or other veggies that you want.
Sure, meat is a great way to add some extra protein. Grilled chicken or tuna would go well with the flavors of the veggies.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Tomato Cucumber and Onion Salad Recipe
- 2 pints Grape Tomatoes
- 3 Cucumbers
- 1 Red Onion
- 8 oz Fresh Mozzarella
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice about one lemon
- ½ tbsp SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend any sweetner of your choosing
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tbsp Fresh Dill or to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Slice grape tomatoes in half and place in a large bowl. Chop red onion and mozzarella and add to bowl.
- Peel cucumber. Slice in half lengthwise, use a spoon to scrape out the seeds, discard seeds. Slice in half lengthwise again, then chop cucumber into small pieces. Add to bowl.
- Chop dill, set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, SPLENDA, garlic powder, onion powder and fresh dill. Whisk until emulsified. Adjust to taste with salt and pepper, and additional dill if desired.
- Stir dressing into the salad and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least three hours.
Whipped this up in about 15 minutes (only thing I changed was I used regular granulated sugar instead of Splenda) Was delicious!! Served with marinated grilled flank steak and garlic mashed potatoes. Hubby raved!! Thanks for this Recipe- it’s a keeper for me!
So awesome!! I love it when it works out for the family!!! Cheers! Ginny
Debbie Whitlock says
It looks so fresh and crisp. And it’s super easy!
Jazmin Rode says
Laurie Miller says
I printed the recipe for the salad –that looks GREAT!!! Thanks for sharing.
Jazmin Rode says
Yay! Hope you love it! 😀
Sara Lee says
I make a similar version of this I’m going to have to try this way seems like this way is healthier than mine
Jazmin Rode says
Hope you enjoy! 😀