This veggie-packed Chickpea Orzo Salad is an easy and tasty lunch meal prep you’ll actually look forward to having every day! Whip this up in under 30 minutes!
Lunchtime just got a whole lot more flavorful. The best part is that you can eat this meal and it will actually keep you full.
You know how some salads leave you starving an hour later? That’s not the case with this one because the chickpeas, orzo, cheese, and veggies keep you satisfied.
Why This Recipe Works
It only takes 30 minutes – With just 20 minutes prep time (start off by using the Meal Prep 101 to show you why this works and how fast it is) and 10 minutes of cooking time, you can easily throw this chickpea salad together.
Saves you time – Meal prepping is a game-changer! Spend a few minutes to prep and it will provide you with easy lunches all week.
It makes six servings – Prepare six salads all at once, and it comes together fast. It’s also great when you are feeding a bunch of hungry people.
Packed with nutrients – You will get lots of healthy nutrients every time you eat this. Fiber, potassium, calcium, iron, vitamin A, and lots of good fats are found in this salad.
There is the salad itself as well as the homemade salad dressing too. Let’s take a peek at the main ingredients.
Orzo – You will cook the orzo, so it’s al dente to get the perfect texture. It’s a perfect addition.
Veggies – This chickpea orzo salad has kale, bell peppers, onions, and parsley.
Dressing – The dressing consists of lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. It’s so yummy you will want to eat it with a spoon!
There are only five steps to make this salad, and I think you will be pleased with how easy they are. Let’s get started:
Step One: Prepare the orzo according to the package. Make sure the water is salted, then you will need to drain and combine it with one tablespoon of olive oil. Let it cool and set aside.
Step Two: Drain the can of chickpeas and rinse them well. Pat them dry with a paper towel. Put them in a large bowl.
Step Three: Chop the onions, peppers, parsley, and kale, and add them to the bowl of chickpeas. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix.
Step Four: Prepare the dressing by combining the lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil together in a bowl. Mix with a whisk.
Step Five: Put the orzo in each of the containers. Then, divide the kale salad among the containers. Add on the feta cheese and put the dressing in one ounce lidded plastic containers. Refrigerate and enjoy!
🥘 Meal Prep
This chickpea orzo salad is one of my favorite lunches EVER. The orzo and chickpeas make this meal prepped lunch filling and hearty, and it keeps me full throughout the day. All of the fresh veggies make it taste amazing and fresh.
When ready to serve, mix up the salad with a simple homemade olive oil dressing that ties all the flavors together nicely, and we’ve got a flavorful, beautiful lunch that feels like something you’d order from a restaurant instead of something you packed from home!
Looking for more lunch meal prep ideas? Try this easy burrito bowl vegetarian meal prep or this list of 20 Easy Vegan Lunch Ideas. And if you’re trying to decide which meal prep containers are best for you, here’s a list of my favorite meal prep containers.
I used this meal prep container for this salad.
📌 Expert Tips
- Chop the kale finely, so it’s nicely incorporated into the salad.
- The flavors of this salad develop over time, so your lunch will taste better every day!
- This meal prepped lunch lasts for three days. The amounts listed below will feed two adults for three lunches each.
- Don’t pour the dressing on until you are ready to serve the salad. Otherwise, it will become mushy.
🥄 Recipe FAQ
Orzo is a delicious pasta that looks a lot like rice. It’s slightly larger than a grain of rice, but tastes great in salads and other dishes. All you have to do is boil it and it’s easy to mix in with your favorite recipes.
Yes, you can use store-bought dressing. We prefer the flavor of homemade dressing. I recommend using whatever you like best, and you can’t go wrong. Just make sure you use the lidded containers for the dressing.
If you don’t like or enjoy feta cheese, swap it for goat cheese, ricotta, or mozzarella.
Sure! If you want to add meat to the salad, that’s more than fine. Try tuna, shrimp, or chicken to start.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Chickpea Orzo Salad for Meal Prep Lunches
- 1¼ cups Orzo uncooked
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- 15 oz Chickpeas can, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1½ cups Kale stems removed, patted dry, finely chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper chopped
- ¾ cup Red Onion chopped
- ¼ cup Parsley fresh, chopped
- ¾ cup Crumbled Feta Cheese or to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice fresh squeezed
- ½ cup Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp Garlic minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook orzo to al dente according to package instructions in a large pot of salted boiling water. Drain. Mix with a tablespoon of olive oil. Set aside and allow it to cool.
- Drain a can of chickpeas into a colander. Rinse well. Pat dry. Place in large bowl. Set aside.
- Chop kale, bell peppers, red onion and parsley. Add these ingredients to the bowl of chickpeas. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well. Set aside.
- Make the dressing by combining lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk well. Set aside.
- Evenly divide orzo between each container, placing the orzo on one side. Next, evenly divide the salad between each container, placing it beside the orzo. Divide feta cheese between all of the meal prep containers. Divide salad dressing into six small containers with lids, place containers on top of orzo.