This easy vegetarian meal prep breakfast bowl will help you simplify your mornings. These are flavorful, filling, and fresh and will have you eating healthy for the most important meal of the day!
Having breakfast in the fridge or freezer ready to go makes me breathe such a sigh of relief. On busy mornings, the last thing I want to do is try to figure out what to eat. So, I usually like to have some vegetarian meal prep options ready to go.
I’ve also started to be more intentional about having both breakfast and lunch planned out and prepped the night before, and it’s been a game-changer.
Sometimes, it’s as simple as packaging up last night’s leftovers for lunch and whipping up to-go smoothies, so breakfast is totally ready in the morning. I live in an apartment, so I always feel a little rude using my blender in the mornings because it’s really not a pleasant sound at 6:00 am, ya know?
🍽️ Why This Recipe Works
Only 15 Minutes Prep – Quickly prepare these meals with just a little effort.
Just a Few Ingredients – You don’t need many ingredients. It couldn’t be any easier to make. I bet you have most of these in your kitchen already.
Easily Customizable – Swapping the ingredients or adding in extras is a great way to boost the flavors and deal with allergies and food aversions.
I will say, even though smoothies are usually my go-to meal during the warmer months, I definitely prefer a heartier breakfast rest of the time. These breakfast bowls look as good as they taste. They totally make me think of something Chipotle would offer if they did breakfast (hint, hint, Chipotle 😀). If you didn’t want to do the potatoes on the bottom of the bowl, make a batch of Cilantro Lime Rice. It is amazing!
To keep this fresh for days, it’s important to use good food storage containers with lids. Today I’m using one of my favorite meal prep containers. Here are the main ingredients you will need.
Southern Hash Browns – the base of these breakfast bowls is baked southern hash browns (aka frozen diced potatoes).
Scrambled Eggs – the southern hash browns are followed by a layer of scrambled eggs. Modify this for lunches and turn it into a burrito bowl.
Black Beans, Cilantro, Green Onion, and Cheese bring the tasty Mexican flavorings to this vegetarian dish.
Step One: Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Add parchment paper to a baking sheet. Break up the potatoes and spread them onto the baking sheet. Add some salt and pepper and put it in the oven for 45 minutes.
Step Two: Combine the eggs to a large bowl and add in salt and pepper to taste. Cook the scrambled eggs and set aside.
Step Three: Drain the liquid off the beans and pat them dry. Set aside.
Step Four: Chop up the green onions, spinach, and cilantro. Keep them separate and pat them all dry.
Step Five: After the hash browns have cooked, remove them from the oven and add half of the green onions and half of the cilantro. Let them cool.
Step Six: Separate the ingredients into the food storage containers. Place them in layers starting with the hash browns, then top with eggs, spinach, cheese, green onions, and cilantro.
Step Seven: Place the meals in the fridge for up to three days.
Step Eight: To serve, add some taco sauce to taste and heat them in the microwave for 1½ – 2 minutes. Stir and dig in!
🍱 Meal Prep
If you’re meal prepping for one, pack an extra bowl for lunch a couple of days and give yourself the night off from cooking one night so you can use them all up in time!
Bonus: This will drive down your grocery costs and reduce the time spent in the kitchen! There are a lot of other cheap vegetarian meals to choose from, and I have a list that will help you save even more.
💡 Expert Tips & Variations
- Make this vegan! Just remove the eggs and use your favorite vegan cheese substitute to make these breakfast bowls. I’d recommend adding some more beans or potatoes or even some baked tofu if you have the time.
- Bulk it up! I wanted to keep this recipe simple, but the sky is the limit with how you can customize this. Add corn, “fajita peppers,” some crushed tortilla strips, a side of guac (served the day of)… basically live out your burrito bowl dreams in breakfast form.
- Swap beans – Get creative and use half and half pinto beans and black beans, or if you’re not into black beans, just substitute in some pinto or kidney beans.
- Reheat and eat! I do reheat these vegetarian breakfast bowls in the container I prepare them in. It’s hard to show you what the actual bowl looks like in one of those, so I popped one on a plate so you can see what we’re working with.
⏲️ Recipe FAQ
They can be stored in the fridge for up to three days. This makes breakfast in the mornings super easy.
Oh yes, of course! Take into the consideration how many people you are feeding and make as many as you need. They are seriously so nice to have around. It is great for holiday mornings, too.
Sure, you can swap the hashbrowns for any variety that works for you. We enjoy the texture of the diced hashbrowns, but anything works.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Vegetarian Meal Prep Breakfast Bowls
- 32 oz Frozen Southern Style Hashbrowns basically diced frozen potatoes
- 12 Large Eggs
- 2 cups Spinach loosely packed
- 15 oz Can Black Beans
- ¾ cup Green Onion
- ½ cup Cilantro
- 6 oz Mexican Shredded Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Taco Sauce for serving, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Massage the bag of potatoes to separate the hash brown pieces. Spread the frozen hash browns on the parchment paper. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 45 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Cook the scrambled eggs and set aside.
- Drain and rinse black beans. Pat dry. Set aside.
- Chop spinach, chop green onions and chop cilantro. Keep separate. Pat dry. Set aside.
- Once the hash browns are cooked, remove them from the oven. Mix in half of the green onions and half of the cilantro. Let cool.
- Divide ingredients evenly into your food storage containers. Assemble your layers in the following order: hash brown mixture, scrambled eggs, spinach, black beans, cheese, green onions and cilantro.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to three days.
- To serve: Add desired amount of taco sauce over your bowl and heat in the microwave for 1 ½ minute to 2 minutes. Give it a stir, then enjoy!