Are you on the hunt for an easy homemade breadsticks recipe? If so, I’ve got you covered. These are extremely easy to make, super fluffy and crispy at the same time, and best of all, there’s no mixer or bread maker required!
These easy breadsticks really are as simple and tasty as it gets. Use for dipping in soup, soaking up pasta sauce or serve with soft butter for a side dish. I’d love to hear how you liked it!
🍽️ Why This Recipe Works
- Super Easy – You seriously only need five minutes to prep these. The rest is waiting on the dough to rise and baking time.
- Inexpensive – It requires just six ingredients and none of them are expensive. Add this one to your frugal recipes.
- Perfect with Many Meals – Serve with pasta, steak, or a big bowl of soup.
Yeast – If you’re new to making homemade bread, here’s how to know if yeast is still alive. The yeast is ready when you can describe it in one of the following terms: foamy, bubbly, frothy. It should also roughly double in size.
If your proofed yeast looks anything like the picture, chances are you’re good to go. The proofing instructions are in the recipe below. You can also learn howl to Proof Your Yeast in the Instant Pot.
Sugar – Think back to your high school science classes. It’s sugars that feed the yeast and help the bread dough rise.
Flour – Like all good breads, it’s flour and water that bind it all together. Have some fun and mix up the types of flours in this recipe. I used a simple enriched white flour.
Step One: Combine the yeast, sugar and warm water in a small cup. Wait ten minutes until it is frothy. That’s just the yeast doing its thing and it means that it is still active and will help your dough rise nicely.
Step Two: Combine with salt and flour and mix well by hand. You’ll find a silicone spatula will work better than a wooden one. The mixture will be sticky and it is a pain to remove it from the wood spatula. Continue mixing for three minutes.
Step Three: Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and then knead it by hand. Add a sprinkle of flour at a time as you knead. It will be ready once it is very smooth and no longer super sticky.
Step Four: Use the rolling pin to form it into a square about ½” thick. Cut it into breadstick shapes and place them on a lightly greased sheet pan for an hour to rise. I covered it with a kitchen towel to retain the heat.
Step Five: Let it rise for one hour and then bake it for 20 minutes. Brush on a bit of melted butter and let it finish baking.
That’s it! Seriously easy!!!
💡 Expert Tips
When cutting your dough, you have two options in styling your breadsticks. You can go the uber-fancy way and form them to shape by hand. Or, you can just slice them into sticks with a pizza cutter and call it a day. I chose the latter because I am terrible at hand-rolling breadsticks. I am really, really bad at it.
After baking and cooling, keep them in a storage bag or wrapped in tin foil. They can be kept at room temperature and will typically last 3-5 days.
The easiest way to reheat breadsticks is to put them in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until they are hot. Alternatively, cover them with a damp paper towel and microwave for 15-20 seconds.
Easy Homemade Breadsticks
- 1 packet Dry Yeast active
- ½ cup Water reserved, warm
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 3½ cups Flour plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3½ tbsp Butter melted
- Pour yeast into a small bowl. Add the ½ cup warm water and sugar. Stir together. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Once yeast is foamy, combine flour and salt and mix wet mixture into dry ingredients.
- Mix well with silicone spatula until a sticky dough forms. Continue to mix with spatula for 2-3 minutes. Then roll dough out on floured surface.
- Knead with floured hands for 10 minutes. If the dough is hard to work with, dust with additional flour. Using only a tiny bit at a time so it doesn’t dry out. The dough is ready when it is relatively smooth and no longer sticking to your hands. You can use a mixer for this as well and the same principle applies.
- Form dough into a ball and transfer into lightly greased large bowl. Set bowl in a warm location, cover and let rise for one hour.
- Transfer dough onto floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll out into a rectangle. Cut lengthwise into six long pieces (a pizza cutter makes this super simple). Cut once more in the middle to create 12 breadsticks.
- Place breadsticks on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Melt butter and brush over breadsticks. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, brush with reserved melted butter. Bake for remaining 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
How to Proof Dough in Instant Pot
- Assemble your dough as you would, and then grease your Instant Pot liner.
- Add in the dough and place a glass lid on top of your Instant Pot. Select the yogurt setting and let it rise for 30 minutes. Remove dough and then move on to the next steps in the recipe.