This cilantro lime rice recipe will cure your Chipotle craving without having to leave home!
When I created this recipe, I was trying to recreate Chipotle’s famous version – it’s one of my favorite things on their menu, so being able to fulfill that craving super cheaply at home would be pretty sweet.
After some researching and fine-tuning, I made my first batch, but it didn’t quite taste like Chipotle’s version. It was WAY better! This is truly the best rice I’ve had.
It’s super fresh and flavorful without being too acidic, and it has a nice bright flavor that will perk up any homemade burrito bowl.
To make your own, you’ll only need a handful of ingredients and about 30 minutes of time. It couldn’t be any easier!
How to Make Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe
- Cook the rice just with some salt, oil, and bay leaves. The other flavorings are added at the end!
- If you don’t have canola oil, use another neutral, virtually flavorless cooking oil that won’t affect the taste of the recipe.
- Once the rice is done cooking, you’ll mix in the cilantro, lime and lemon juice .
Meal Prep – How to Freeze Rice
This recipe can be frozen and used again which lends it to being FREEZER FRIENDLY!
- Prepare the rice as normal. Set aside the other ingredients. I have had the best luck freezing the rice without adding the lime and cilantro.
- Allow rice to cool in the fridge.
- Divide it into freezer-friendly bags (I like Ziploc Freezer Bags) and label them with the amount and the date. Lay them out flat in the freezer. You’ll find that they defrost more quickly when you are ready to use them.
- Reheat it in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave it in 30-45 second intervals and stir so you don’t burn the rice.
If you do freeze your rice first, I recommend heating it up and then adding the lime, cilantro and oil. I have had mixed results when I combined all the ingredients first, and then froze it.
- Only add cilantro to the rice you are going to eat immediately. If you add it to the entire batch of rice, the cilantro may discolor and won’t age well. I cut up just enough cilantro for each dish. Once cut, it really is best used immediately.
- Additional toppings for the recipe:
- Add jalapeños. Every now and then, I enjoy a little kick to this dish!
- Add sautéed onions. That dark, rich, caramelized flavoring complements these fresh ingredients nicely. It adds a nice earthy flavoring.
- Add avocados on top for a fun and healthy topping. Heck, I could ad avocados to just about anything, but it does work nicely with this rice.
- Make this with cauliflower rice. My local grocery store sells this in both the produce section (for fresh) and in the freezer section.
- If you are short on time, make this in the Instant Pot. It will result in a bit stickier white rice, but you can’t beat how easy it is to make.
Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe
This cilantro lime rice recipe will cure your chipotle cravings without having to leave home!
- 2 cups White Rice
- 3.5 cups Water
- 3 tbsp. Canola Oil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Juice from half a lemon fresh squeezed
- Juice from half a lime fresh squeezed
- 1/4 cup Cilantro finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Add water and salt to a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Rinse and drain rice.
- Once water is boiling, add in rinsed rice, canola oil and bay leaves. Stir. Reduce to low heat. Partially cover. Cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Let sit for five minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Fluff with fork. Then add lemon juice, lime juice and cilantro and stir with fork.
If you make this Cilantro Lime Rice recipe, snap a photo and tag #savorandsavvy on Instagram! Also, follow Savor + Savvy on IG to keep up with new recipes on the blog.