These Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks (in 20 minutes) with egg roll wrappers are super simple to make, come together so quickly and we are done in no time. There is no-fuss with breading, just wrap and air fry.
Everyone will love this; whether you’re serving them at a party, or for an afternoon snack, they’re sure to be a favorite. Make sure to keep this one handy!
There are just a handful of ingredients needed for this recipe and a few more for the homemade marinara sauce.
Don’t worry, they are all simple ingredients you probably have them around your house. Let’s get started talking about the main ingredients:
Mozzarella Cheese Sticks: Use any brand or variety of mozzarella cheese. We prefer regular, but you could opt for a low-fat version if that fits your needs better. If you wanted to go extra wild you could go with a cheese stick that has cheddar and mozzarella together.
Wrappers: This recipe is versatile, and either egg roll mozzarella sticks or wonton wrapper mozzarella sticks will work perfectly. Use whichever you have on hand or can get for the greatest deal, and you can’t go wrong.
Homemade Marinara: I could literally eat this marinara with a spoon because it’s just that flavorful. Marinara pairs perfectly with these air-fried mozzarella sticks.
Made with tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and a few other ingredients, it’s mind-blowing good. I can’t wait for you to taste it.
I’m excited to be sharing it with you because it’s one of our family favorites.
Step One: Place the egg roll or wonton wrapper on a plate and give it a very light spray with olive oil. Add a piece of mozzarella cheese in the center.
Add some cheese, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, sun-dried tomatoes, and gently roll them up.
Step Two: Put the egg rolls in the air fryer basket. Spritz them with olive oil and sprinkle a little bit of garlic salt and Italian seasoning on top.
Step Three: Cook at 350 degrees and cook for 10 minutes. Check them, and if you want them to be extra crispy, cook for an additional two minutes.
Step Four: Prepare the marinara sauce while the egg rolls are cooking. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, garlic salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, brown sugar, onion powder, and minced garlic to a heavy sauce pan.
Stir well and heat until the sauce is bubbly and thickened. Simmer for 30 minutes. Enjoy dipping them!
🍲 Meal Preparation
We love to make several batches of these and enjoy them throughout the month. Check out these meal prep containers to consider storing them in.
Prepare the sauce and allow it to cool. Then refrigerate for up to four days or freeze it for up to six months.
Make the egg rolls ahead of time as well. They should either be refrigerated or frozen. In the fridge, they will last up to five days and in the freezer for up to two months.
You will need to reheat them before eating. Warm them up in the air fryer for 5-8 minutes at 350 degrees to keep them crispy. The microwave tends to make them a little soggier, but they are completely edible.
Make sure to check out this Free Air Fryer Printable Cooking Time Cheat Sheet!
💡 Recipe Tips
- Spritzing the egg rolls with olive oil before they are wrapped will make it easier to roll them up. Then they will seal better too.
- It’s better to buy a spray bottle and add olive oil to it to use on air fryer recipes instead of buying a non-stick spray. Most air fryers don’t age as well when you use non-stick spray frequently.
- If you add extra ingredients to the egg rolls, don’t overstuff them. They are much more likely to come apart, or the cheese will seep out if they are too full.
- Don’t overcook them or they won’t taste as good and will lose some of the cheese.
- Add tin foil under the air fryer basket to catch any seasonings or crumbs that fall. It makes cleanup a breeze.
- Be sure to wash the basket after each and every use. If not, you will end up with a build-up.
There are lots of fun things you can do to add some variety to these air fryer mozzarella egg roll sticks. Let’s take a look at a few fun ideas to try out:
- Pepperoni: Adding some slices of pepperoni will take them to the next level. Buy large thin slices from the deli or go with 2-3 smaller slices per egg roll. Either way, lay them under the cheese and you’ll be all set.
- Cheese: Go wild and add some different types of cheese sticks. Mozzarella is always delicious, but there are other flavors that would also be good too. Pepper Jack would add some spice or go with something like Colby Jack if you don’t want the extra heat.
- Parmesan: Sprinkle some parmesan with the seasonings. It is such a yummy flavor that will go well with the other ingredients.
- Prosciutto: Add a slice of prosciutto to the wrappers for some extra flavor. That smoky goodness is a lovely complement to the other flavors.
🧀 Recipe FAQ
You may not have wrapped it tight enough or you possibly cooked it too long. We caution to gauge each Air Fryer separately with timing.
Some machines cook faster than others do so always watch closely the first time you make a recipe.
I wouldn’t. The rice paper is delicate and won’t take the heat and hold the mozzarella stick together. The two are NOT interchangeable.
You can if you cut your mozzarella cheese in half so it will fit and you can still wrap it around all the way. Remember, you don’t want any cheese leaking out so it needs to be wrapped tight around.
If cutting it in half is too much, cut into thirds and then tightly wrap. Cook for two minutes or less on each side the first round and test it. These will be one bite appetizers and so cute!
Cooking spray will eat away the lining on the tray or baskets in air fryers over time. It is best to buy an oil mister to spritz your food and trays with the oil.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 12 Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- 1 Egg Roll or Wonton Wrappers
- Spray Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Garlic Salt
- 3 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- Sun Dried Tomatoes optional
- ½ cup Water
- 1 can Tomato Sauce 6 oz can
- 1 can Tomato Paste 6 oz can
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Sweet Basil
- 1 tsp Ground Oregano
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Lay the egg roll, or Wonton wrappers out on a plate. Spray it with a little bit of spray olive oil and lay one Mozzarella stick in the center.
- Sprinkle the cheese with garlic salt, Italian seasoning, sun dried tomatoes, and roll them up. Place them in air fryer basket, and spray lightly with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with Garlic Salt, and Italian Seasoning.
- Cook at 350 degrees, for 10 minutes. If you think they need to be a little crunchier, cook for two more minutes.
Make the Marinara Sauce
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan, add all of the ingredients.
- Stir them together and heat on medium until it is bubbly and thick. Simmer for 30 minutes, and use it for dipping. Enjoy!