This fast and Easy Vegetarian/Vegan Pasta recipe is a light and fresh meal that’s perfect for the warm months ahead. This simple dish comes together in just thirty minutes, so you can toss this together quickly and it’s perfectly weeknight friendly! This is a great meal to have on Meatless Mondays or when you are getting short on the dollar and need to feed yourself on the cheap while maintaining a healthy diet.
When looking at alternative ingredients for this recipe, try to think of this recipe as really a Farmer’s Market Pasta! Eggplant, yellow squash, peppers and onions would all do great in here.
The sauce isn’t really saucy at all – it’s a chunky vegetable sauce with just enough juices to blend well into the pasta. It’s such a light, fresh meal that’s perfect for a summer dinner! There are times in the summer that you just want a light meal that isn’t coated in dripping sauce. This one just uses the main vegetables to capture the flavor.
I used mini heirloom tomatoes that I found at Trader Joe’s for this recipe, but you can swap those for cherry tomatoes since they’re easier to find. Also scope out what your farmer’s market is selling to see what other tomatoes you could substitute. My local grocery store is not carrying a 3 pack of grape tomatoes in different varieties as well. Give that a try to keep the variety in the flavor.
30 Minute Vegetarian Pasta Recipe
- 16 oz. Mini Heirloom Tomatoes or multicolored cherry tomatoes
- 2 Medium Zucchini Squash
- ⅓ cup Fresh Parsley loosely packed, stems removed
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil divided
- 8 oz. Dry Pasta of Choice I used Pappardelle Pasta
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- ¼ cup Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Wash all produce. Slice tomatoes in half. Cut Zucchini in half lengthwise, cut in half once more so there are four long pieces. Then chop into chunks similar in size to tomato halves. Roughly chop parsley.
- Heat pan over medium high heat. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- Add zucchini to pan. Seasonly lightly with salt and pepper. Saute for five minutes.
- Add tomatoes to pan, season lightly with salt and pepper. Saute for an additional five minutes.
- Lightly mash tomatoes with potato masher to release juices. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil and garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning and water. Stir.
- Lower heat to medium low. Cook for an addition 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how juicy you want the sauce to be. If desired, add a bit more water to reach the desired consistency.
- Add parsley in final 3 minutes of cooking.
- Serve over cooked pasta. Sprinkle extra parsley over top if desired.
This recipe is vegan, but I did top our plates with some grated parmesan when serving. After I took the pictures I added some homemade croutons that I made from ciabatta bread. Such a great combination.
Hope you guys enjoy this easy vegetarian pasta recipe! I’ll be posting the recipe for the homemade croutons I made to go with this night’s dinner soon!