If you enjoy this spinach lasagna rolls recipe, check out these easy dinner ideas!
I’m sharing one of my favorite recipes with you guys today – spinach lasagna rolls. My recipe is based off of Domestic Dilenttante’s recipe with slight adjustments. Her link no longer works but I do want to give credit to her! Head over to her blog for the original low-cal recipe.
Spinach Lasagna Rolls Recipe
(Printable recipe at the end of the post)
– 9 Lasagna Noodles
– 10 oz Frozen Chopped Spinach
– 15 oz Ricotta Cheese
– 1 egg
– Salt & Pepper (to taste)
– 1 tsp. Parsley flakes
– 1 Jar of pasta sauce
– 2 cups of shredded Mozzarella Cheese (1/2 cup for filling – remaining for the topping)
1. Cook lasagna noodles in lightly salted water. Drain, let cool and then place lasagna noodles on a piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil on the counter.
2. In a large bowl, add the drained and thawed spinach, ricotta cheese, egg, parsley flakes, salt and pepper and add in 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Mix thoroughly.
3. Spoon 1/3 cup of the mixture onto the center of each lasagna noodle, and use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture over the entire noodle. Do this for all 9 noodles before moving onto the next step. If at the end of this step you have leftovers of the mixture, add it to the noodles that are looking a little bare.
4. Typically, you’re supposed to roll the noodles, as the name implies. But I find that it can get a bit messy and it leads to each roll being a different size. I’ve found that it’s easiest to fold the noodles into thirds rather than rolling. Fold one end of the noodle towards the center. Then grab the other end and repeat.
5. Pour approximately 1/2 cup to 1 cup of pasta sauce on the bottom of your baking dish and spread across so it’s evenly covered. This is just to prevent the lasagna noodles from sticking to the dish.
7. Loosely cover with foil and bake at 350 F. for 40 minutes.
This recipe freezes really well. When freezing, I prefer to double the recipe.
I make this spinach lasagna rolls recipe pretty often because it’s a family favorite. Do spinach lasagna rolls make a regular appearance in your kitchen? Or do you stick with traditional lasagna? Let me know in the comments below.
Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 10 oz Frozen Chopped Spinach thawed and drained
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion large, diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp italian seasoning
- 28 oz Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large pot, cook lasagna noodles according to package. Drain, lay each noodle flat over parchment paper.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add onion and green bell pepper. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Sauce for 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Mix in water. Reduce to medium low heat. Cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce cooks, prepare filling in a large bowl. Add spinach, ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, egg, 2 tbsp parsley and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spread 1 ½ cup of sauce over the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Evenly distribute filling over each lasagna noodle. Spoon a thin line of sauce over the center of the filling, leaving room at the ends. Roll lasagna noodles and place into baking dish.
- Spoon remaining sauce over center of lasagna roll ups. Sprinkle with remaining cheese over the center of each roll.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp parsley on top.